zzyzx
post Mar 21 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,561
Phone: Cingular 8125
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi there,

I just bought a SDA. One thing I'm trying to figure out is to configure it to only connect to internet using Wi-Fi, I don't want to pay for the data plan, so I'll only use my SDA to get on internet when there is a free Wi-Fi arround.
Thanks,

David
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 21 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

If you want to be certain it won't connect to a GPRS or EDGE data connection you can go to Start/Settings/Data Connection and delete all the settings in there. To connect to wifi you will obviously have to turn it on and scan for available wifi routers. With T-Mobile you really can't connect to the internet if you don't have a data plan though, so you shouldn't worry about it. If you can connect they won't charge you anything more than the data plan you currently have. If you don't have one, you shouldn't be able to connect at all.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
kampf
post Mar 28 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,575
Phone: HTC Hurricane
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
MP3 Player: iPod

I was able to connect to the internet using WiFi and IE/Opera when my Total Internet plan wasn't in effect. It worked just fine in at least 3 locations, using no GPRS/EDGE whatsoever.

I know that IE has a setting to "Automatically Detect Settings" that may be trying to first connect via GPRS, but turning that off should give you the ability to use wifi.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:50 PM