Post #1

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

Attached Image

Well folks, its been a while since I posted here because of some significant issues I have been having with my Windows Mobile device. I have secretly been looking at the iPhone since the first 3G model came out but just could not allow myself to be lured to the dark side. Well, I finally had enough soft resets and went to the Apple store and moved my wireless account over to AT&T and picked up two of the 32GB 3GS models. I have to say that after about 24 hours I am understanding the attraction and wondering, why can Microsoft not produce a device with this intuitive of an interface? The iPhone just works. Period. In the 24 hours before I got my new phone my WiMo phone required at least 6 soft resets. How many resets has my iPhone required? Zero.

So, Slacker is back and I have a lot of applications I am interested in trying out. I will be cranking out some reviews of iPhone apps, mostly of the non-game variety. I am currently working on one for eWallet by Ilium Software. I previously reviewed the Windows Mobile version (here) but this review will be of the iPhone version as well as the Windows desktop companion. More reviews will be coming after that.

How about our readers? Have any of you made the switch? Tell us about it!

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Jul 1 2009, 02:53 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

I thought about making the switch also.

But I don;t want to put itunes on my pc, and I like that Skyfire supports Flash webcontent. So I picked up a 3rd Generation Samsung "Jack" (i637). It is so boringly similar to the Blackjack 1 (upped to winmo 6.0) that it feels like hardly a change at all. My biggest issues have been dropped calls that since last June have steadily become more and more frequent. We'll see if this persists. I picked up the Jack outside of the ATT incentives, so if this just seems too boring, I might jump for something more sexy.

Iteresting aside: all the people at the Best Buy I was in were using non-touch, qwerty phones. They also actively dissed all the touch screen devices.

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jul 1 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I was given an iTouch several years ago and decided to give it a try. The interface was so intuitive I decided to keep using it. I actually like the ease of using iTunes for music and the APP Store is great with many free Apps and a few worth paying for. I also use the Kindle Reader on the iTouch and like that very much. I have not made the switch to the iPhone yet as my contract with Sprint ends July 8. But I am tempted. I have to admit the Windows Mobile interface is pretty clunky compared to the Apple. Happy for our readers that now MobileGadgetNews provides information on all the major smartphone OS systems including Windows Mobile, Apple and Android. We are also following the new Palm Pre. I stopped in a Sprint store in Sacramento while visiting this week and they said the Pre is selling great and they have not had one unit returned. The sales girl said that was a first for her on a new phone launch. Isn't it nice to have choices.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 2 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

AMEN Brother! Been using the iPhone 3G for about 2 months and haven't looked back. Only real major complaint on what the iPhone can't do that WM could, is multi-task. That aside, I absolutly love this phone. Still hate everything that starts with i though, and iTunes still sucks, but the iPhone just plain works and works well!

P.S. WOW! You guys still haven't caught my post count wink.gif ph34r.gif

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 2 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

You should also give SPB wallet a whirl. It is pretty sweet how you can keep your PC and iPhone sync'd wirelessly via gmail.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
skubadu
post Jul 3 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,449

I also have been thinking about making the switch.

A friend at work commented that they have just gone to the dark-side. I confessed that with the newly updated software, Apple is almost as good and useful WM, but with all the GREAT apps that comes with the Apple...What's not to like?

Why aren't people writing this type of software for WM?

OK I still have issues with the fixed battery, fixed RAM memory, iTunes And propriety GPS Software...

But I'm really considering it considering the $$$ of the coming HTC Touch Diamond II

Skubadu

+Quote Post
Javic
post Jul 9 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #7

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 482
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just switched myself a couple of weeks ago. I had been using a HTC Wizard (yeah, I know) for eons and it was at the point where every time I tried to use it I wanted to smash it against the wall.

I too had been resisting the urge and peer pressure to get an iPhone, but after 5 minutes of using it, I knew what all the hype was about. This phone is an amazing device and puts every Windows device I've seen to shame. Fast, intuitive, no hanging or crashing, it just plain works, and works well.

I also love the fact that you can search, download & install just about any app in a matter of minutes (usually seconds) without even having to hook up to a PC, and they DO have an app for just about everything. The one I'm considering right now is Rev, which with the addition of a wireless OBD-II device you can jack into your car from the phone, view/reset any engine codes, and check just about every available stat on your vehicle.

The MS Exchange synching works flawlessly as well. I never could get it working 100% on my Wizard.

So if you're on the fence about getting an iPhone, come on over to the dark side. It's ok to drink the Kool Aid sometimes wink.gif

--------------------
Javic
HTC Wizard (T-Mobile MDA)
MPx200 on T-Mobile
http://mobile.ultraworldradio.com
http://www.ultraworldradio.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 04:13 AM