Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

I thought you might click on that title.
I am amazed by the thinks I hear about this phone, It seems that no two are alike. One guy can't dial 911 on two separate units, I couldn't send text messages, others had a humming keyboard, some can't connect to streaming audio, one guy can't hit hotmail using the same link that others can. It's puzzling because there is no common set of problems. I can use mMode but others can not. I don't get it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mugenakuma
post Dec 2 2003, 12:27 AM
Post #2

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 85

All these problems are very strange. I think Smartphone OS glitches and compatibility issues with the mpx200 may be part of the problem.

Maybe all us forum members should put together a bug/glitch/gripe list to send to Motorola and/or Microsoft? Who knows maybe they would listen?!

+Quote Post
reydiodj
post Dec 2 2003, 12:52 AM
Post #3

MS-MVP / Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 39
Phone: Dopod s300
Carrier: T-Mobile
MP3 Player: Other

mugenkuma - that is a good thought!

I'm currently trying to open an open line of communication between AT&T and my usergroup and MPx200.org. Hopefully something will develop there where I can someone who we can relay this info to.

I haven't checked the ATT Forums lately, but has anyone checked there if there is already something similar started?

--------------------
Rey Flores
Microsoft MVP: Windows - Mobile Devices
Editor Emeritus - MGN
Blogs: Reydio Static / Smartphone & PPC Magazine Expert Blog
Chair: http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com
Board of Experts: http://www.PocketPCmag.com/awards
Mobile Community Series Co-Host: http://www.computeroutlook.com

Primary Devices: T-Mobile Dash
Alternate Devices: Sidekick 3/i-mate JASJAR
Mobile Accessories: Aliph Jawbone/Samsung WEP200/Scala 500, ALK Co-Pilot GPS receiver, Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard, Microsoft Zune, Sony PSP

+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #4

Group:
Member No.: 0

I have had the exact same problems, and AT&T SWEARS it's a reception issue. I have told them time and time again that it is not a reception issue because I've experienced the same problem on more than one phone!!!!

AT&T just won't owe up to the fact that the phone itself is glitchy!!

+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Group:

As I said before it is really ridiculous that AT&T, Microsoft and/or motorola dont recognize the gliltches with this phone. I love my phone but these companies should and need to provide support, updates, firmware or something to address these issues.

+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #6

Group:

Unfortunately this is the first smartphone released to guys in the US en masse! Over here in the UK we have gone thru two evolutions of the SP2002 platform and each ahs had it's own set of unique problems along with certain generic bugs & glitches... maybe this makes a difference, maybe with the prolonged exposure to these issues that has desesitised us over here and we just don't seem many of the issues anymore but it does seem that a lot of the problems experienced or noted are related directly to ATT servies and software... like anything new there will be bugs... ^*&& the original SPV in the UK was full of them, and the MPx in comparison is a revelation!!! But with time software updates are usually made available but it's a case of time normally!!! Ask any UK customer who was waiting for the 1.6 update for the SPV about how long it can take!!!

But with sites & forums like this these issues are found, noted and directly or indirectly reported to the operators and these updates are constructed and released... What needs to be remembered is that each phone design has it's own version of the firmware designed specifically for the hardware involved... And each phone operator then has their own ideas of what should be added to the phone... this is where most of the problems arise... yeah the generic platform is somewhat limited in it's own ways and has it's own bugs but mostly the problems arise when software is added by the operators!!!

And after all what should be remembered most of all is no two users have the same want's, needs or expectations from the phone and I doubt all things that are wanted could be added or the bugs submitted by one person may not affect the next!!! There is a lot of speculation about whether WM2K3 will be released for the phone and I feel a lot of people expect so much from the new OS but even that would still not suit all and from reports in the UK would have it's own set of bugs... The OS has been out around 3 months in the UK and ther is already talk of an update to address certain issues!!!

I guess what I'm saying is with patience and with the help of early adopters and forums like this these bugs will be reported and eventually updates released... don't lose heart it may take time but ATT & all the operators will realise what needs to be done and where the faults lie smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bonzo
post Jan 15 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 800

Damn... done it again... the book published above was by me Mr Forgottologin!!! lol

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 15 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #8

Site Founder
Group Icon

Oh sure Bonzo, you just saw a unclaimed great post and wanted it all for your self didn't you...

Thanks for you view on this topic, what you say makes a lot of sense.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
Bonzo
post Jan 15 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 800

lol... well I could've left it as being annonymous but I thought I'd better own up just in case people disagree rather than if they agree smile.gif

+Quote Post
vballhjs
post Jan 16 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 490

just a quick note on text messaging.. it wasnt working on my phone either but after a call to tomobile i found out it was disable on my sim.. quick change and i was back up and running.. although there are alot of problems, there are solutions for most of them.. i guess its part of the penalty for being the early adopters..

+Quote Post
post Jan 16 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #11

Group:

i really dont know what problems hes talking about, my phone works fine

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 16 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #12

Site Founder
Group Icon

Which he do you mean?

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
nbercasio
post Jan 16 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #13

Super Moderator

Member No.: 593
Phone: MPx200

I thought you might click on that title.
I am amazed by the thinks I hear about this phone, It seems that no two are alike.  One guy can't dial 911 on two separate units, I couldn't send text messages, others had a humming keyboard, some can't connect to streaming audio, one guy can't hit hotmail using the same link that others can.  It's puzzling because there is no common set of problems.  I can use mMode but others can not.  I don't get it.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

well, these "could" be all software related issues that users tweak around except humming keyboard. Do you know if the owners flashed their phone, installed Beta software or not signed by MS? So far, my phone is working perfectly except the porting in ^*&& I had to deal with ATT from Verizon.

+Quote Post
post Jan 17 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #14

Group:

issues with users hitting sites could be because of the provider.
Unless you have AT&T, or T-Mobile's unlimited data plan, some sites will be blocked. Even though t-mobile has the free WAP access, they block many of the ports like SSL so you are unable to access any secure server like hotmail, or in my case, my mobile information server to sync my outlook.
To get around this, I set up a dial up connection that I use once in a while to check email when i'm "taking a long lunch" :-)

+Quote Post
post Jan 17 2004, 03:05 AM
Post #15

Group:

I'm going to try agile messenger to get to my AIM. I cannot access aim on my phone, it just get "not found page".
Does anybody know what the AP WIRELESS NEWS link is in Mmode news area? I get "ACCESS DENIED"

+Quote Post
post Jan 18 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #16

Group:

I bought the mpx200 2 weeks ago(ATT).The reception was great,but the text,voice mail and mMode didnt work.I called ATT CS they didnt now the problem.I had to go to an ATT service center to check my phone.The guy there didnt check the phone he just called the ATT tech support and he told them something about a switch.In a few minutes I had the text messages working.Still MMode and voice mail doesnt work.Too bad in my area I dont have T-mobile,the ATT support for this phone is really bad.Just my 2 cents.

+Quote Post
post Jan 22 2004, 05:37 AM
Post #17

Group:

I've had my mpx200 for about 3 weeks now. I love it, coming from my bulky XDA. The flip design is where it's at, for phones at least. I have noticed a definate decrease in wireless data transfer, probably due to the poor interface in comparision.

There are definatly some issues. A couple of times now, when I try to answer a call, I just get and alert message saying, unable to answer call. Still other times when call-waiting is coming in, I am unable to answer the new call. I usually have to initially decline, and then answer. But it's not every time. I'm begining to think that moto has embedded gnomes in my phone. One other quick think. I have a 256mb SD card. It was full of mp3's when I put it in my mpx200. I was able to listen to them without any trouble for about a week. After that, it looks like they have all be currupted some how. I don't think it's the media player that is messing up, as I ma still able to play media stored on the phone itself. I think it somehow currupted my files on the SD. Anyone else have similar bugs?

Thanks in advance.

+Quote Post
AdamJG142
post Nov 14 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,682

The 911 issue i belive is with your carrier only, not the phone. When you dial 911, the call hits the carriers equipment which then in turn should know to transfer you to an emergency dispatcher. Here is what I know from working on E911 and Public Safety communications systems...

After a certain date, the FCC required all cell phone manufacturers to install GPS chips in phones to be able to be tracked by the carrier. What happens (at least in Ohio) is when you dial 911 from a cell phone, you are connected to that county's post of the State Patrol. The state Patrol will then route you to the correct dept. from the information you give them. Now if you are unable to give them any information, they can in turn call your carrier (which is displayed on the E911 terminal) and have you traced. The carrier will then give them you location and they will dispatch appropriate agencies.

As for this GPS chip, I believe the only company that is attempting to make money on the fact that thier phones can be tracked is Nextel (my dept. uses them). We have Nextel phones in our rigs and our supervisor can log in a web based software company (www.pathway.road.com) and see where our rigs are and how fast we are going...

--------------------
I thought I was in love once, but it was just gas...

+Quote Post
stork
post Jan 18 2005, 08:31 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 6,812

mmm, ive had my mpx replaced three times (during the past six months) by Orange UK for various reasons - not turning on, not able to send sms, major software glitches, battery not charging, and the list goes on. BUT, i love this phone and am determined to end up with one that is perfect . At the moment its locked to Orange UK and i am yet to get it unlocked so that i can use it here in Australia. In the meantime i am using my old trusy Nokia 8310 (yes i know its ancient) til i get my mpx back online.
I will not give up on the MPX200! (yet)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 06:54 AM