2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting started with AT&T
DARKMON
post Nov 3 2003, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

OK get this, I've been having troubles with my order since day one. I ordered my MPx200 from Amazon back on the 24th. I get an e-mail about needing more info for my credit check with ATT, so I fill in the blanks and send it back. It comes back with the same e-mail message that info is incomplete. So I fill it out again. Bounces back! I did it 6 - 8 times, partly out of frustration. Finally I sent an e-mail to Amazon customer service. They respond with a boilerplate e-mail and will contact me when the have answers. Days go by. I call Amazon on Tuesday of last week and start getting the run-a-round about their internal processing was down and couldnt get the order off the shipping dock, even though it was in stock and ready to go. I called Amazon once a day last week till on Thursday the one guy said that it left the dock and gave me a Fedex tracking number, and sure enough, its on its way.
Today I finally get the phone about 2:00 PM eastern time, I'm a happy little camper. I follow the instructions abolut the SIM card and getting it charged up. This is where I'm at now. I turned on the phone and its suppost to connect with the ATT service. Nothing. It powers up, I have all the other functions, just no service. So I called ATT service to only find out that they are going through some system upgrade and it wouldn't be up untill this evening. VERY FRUSTRATING! So now I have the phone and it sits next to my computer, waiting...
So my question is, can I take this oppertunity to get another service provider to get me going by getting a SIM card from say Verizon or Cingular?
Great looking phone!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
weshsu
post Nov 3 2003, 09:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 118

I just picked up my MPx200 today from a local store (I already have AT&T GSM service). I wanted to switch my service from a national plan to a local shared plan, but they said their system is down for the next few days (not sure if they mean the local office's system) so the change in plan won't go into effect until the end of this week or early next week. But, I dropped in my existing SIM card and everything is up and running. I'm still learning my way around the phone, but I think I'm really going to like this one!

It sounds like you can use one of those unlock SIM services. I don't know anything about them, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness, but it might be worth a try.

+Quote Post
j11360
post Nov 6 2003, 01:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 213

:cry: I really love this phone.....but, I live in Massachusetts and the AT&T service area just isn't the same as my verizon account. I just called Verizon to see if the Samsung SCH i600 is available but no go. I was driving in NH today, no service.. Well anyway, 30 day return policy may come into play. I also really like this site, you guys are very helpful. This is my first smart device so I need all the help I can get. Please keep it coming. Cool phone would hate to see Brown taking it back.

+Quote Post
emason
post Nov 6 2003, 02:48 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 218

Hello mpx200.org.......

Greetings form an ex-Tosh e740 user! This smartphone is sweet, now if I could only get it activated....

Darkmon, I'm in the same boat as you, had the same issue with amazon and their credit application, finally was told by a rep that the problem was in using a cell phone as the home phone number. Apparently you must use a land line. Tried that, and no problems anymore. Actually recieved my mpx yesturday morning, but the delama continued. Turns out that AT&T's account service software was being upgraded over last weekend, and they hit a glich. I've been calling ever few hours to see if their system is back up, but no luck yet. Talked to them again about 30 minutes ago and was told maybe this evening or into tommorrow morning. Makes me happy I paid for overnight shipping on this thing... Actually, even without service I'm glad I did, gave me a chance to play with it and get it set the way I like. I also have a T-mobile service plan, so I'm carrying around two phones at the moment. You have any luck wiith AT&T, or did you unlock and use another provider? I'm seriously considering contacting one of the unlocking companies and just using my T-mobile plan. I would prefer to get this thing activated through AT&T so I can get the $120 rebate from amazon, and I've heard AT&T has a little better coverage in the Detroit metro area... Hopefully they will be up and running again soon, and then I can finally ditch T-mobile...

+Quote Post
DARKMON
post Nov 6 2003, 05:22 PM
Post #5

emason,
I finally went to the T-Mobile store at the mall on Tuesday and got on their 600 minute plan with the unlimited internet service. I paided for the unlock code from the service that is mentioned in one of these posts with the $5.00 discount. I put the SIM chip from T-Mobile in, fired up the mpx, put in the unlock code number and wham, I'm in. I too called ATT to see the status of their upgrade only so I can cancel the service. T-Mobile doesn't have the best coverage where I live/work, but I'm up and running. The phone is sweet to use. Good luck with your deliema.

+Quote Post
emason
post Nov 6 2003, 09:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 218

Thanks, I don't know how much longer I can wait smile.gif That $120 amazon rebate is the only thing holdin' me back, but if I can't get this activated soon I might just bite the bullet...

+Quote Post
post Nov 15 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #7

Group:
Member No.: 0

Thanks, I don't know how much longer I can wait smile.gif That $120 amazon rebate is the only thing holdin' me back, but if I can't get this activated soon I might just bite the bullet...

I placed my order for the mpx200 on AT&T's website back on 10/26. As of 11/15, it still says my order is "Processing". That's 21 days of waiting with no communication from AT&T. Only after visiting forums.attwireless.com did I discover the major systems problems they are having with new activations. Even so, when/if my waiting time reaches 30 days, I'm sorry, but I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

+Quote Post
josh
post Nov 16 2003, 06:00 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 264

Spytron, I'd say its going to be 97% worth the wait. AT&T has so far been a very good service provider...support area... They did have a major glitch in their systems, but its gotta happen sometime or another! At least they got their major glitch out of the way now, instead of when the second gen of smartphones come out and we all go flocking to the stores for those looking like a bunch of geese!

+Quote Post
j11360
post Nov 16 2003, 11:26 AM
Post #9

It took me a week to order the return label from AT&T for my MPx200. It still hasen't come yet. No customer service, no service area, there is a reason the phone sells for $79.00 on Amazon. You get what you pay for.
On the other hand I ordered an i600 on Thursday from verizon and Fedex says it will be here Monday and I talked to a real person within 30 seconds of calling Verizon.

+Quote Post
dougr
post Nov 16 2003, 03:37 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 293

On the other hand I ordered an i600 on Thursday from verizon and Fedex says it will be here Monday and I talked to a real person within 30 seconds of calling Verizon.
nice antenna! sweet keypad! lookin' good! wink.gif

+Quote Post
j11360
post Nov 16 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #11

No your right, if form is your priority then the MPx200 is for you. I need a phone that works. I wish my Motorola worked, it does not, I need to look elsewhere.

+Quote Post
post Nov 19 2003, 01:43 AM
Post #12

Group:
Member No.: 0

lol the other day i went to a local verizon store just to take a look at their i600 ... looks ugly & bigger than my beauty mpx200 ... not only that it costs 549 for 1 year new activation 499 for 2 years i think geez ... i love my mpx200 & T- mobile smile.gif sorry ATT your GSM service is very poor and costs just too much compare to T-mobile ....

+Quote Post
nin1974
post Nov 19 2003, 05:39 AM
Post #13

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 232

any word on the Motorola V600?

--------------------
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers"

+Quote Post
RobPecor
post Nov 19 2003, 03:20 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 234

Has anyone tried to switch their MPx200 over to Verizon?

I love the phone, but I find Verizon covers much more area in Southern California than AT&T

I'd love to keep this phone and use Verizon Service.

I looked at their i600 and I agree with the other posts. Big and Ugly and a $500+ price tag to boot. They have a few nifty quick keys built on the side, but does not compare to the MPx.

+Quote Post
dougr
post Nov 19 2003, 03:43 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 293

Has anyone tried to switch their MPx200 over to Verizon?  

I love the phone, but I find Verizon covers much more area in Southern California than AT&T

I'd love to keep this phone and use Verizon Service.

I looked at their i600 and I agree with the other posts.  Big and Ugly and a $500+ price tag to boot.  They have a few nifty quick keys built on the side, but does not compare to the MPx.
can't be done. the MPx200 runs on a different protocal (GSM/GPRS 1800/1900 MHz) than Verizon's network (CDMA). you should be able to use the MPx200 with other providers that use the same protocol as the MPx200, but Verizon isn't one of them.

+Quote Post
RobPecor
post Nov 19 2003, 03:57 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 234

Crud-a-Doodle-Doo.

Thanks for the info dougr. You're an invaluable resource to this group.

Rob

+Quote Post
DARKMON
post Nov 20 2003, 02:50 PM
Post #17

Just an update from me...
I have been with T-Mobile now for over two weeks and the service has generally been good. The internet feature is intermitting and extreamly slooooow. So I may cancel that part of my plan, kinda defeats the use of the phone for some of its features. I think it is mostly due to where I live in relation to the cell towers, I live near the shoreline of the great lake Ontario in upstate NY (Rochester), so the signal is weak in my area. But come to find out that ATT dosn't even have service where I live and work, even though it said it does when I put in my zip code when I ordered the phone from Amazon, but that was another story. I have been reading in the other posts about being able to upgrade to the 2003 OS and it puts me in a spot, if ATT ever does offer it, I will not be able to get it, and I do not hink that T-Mobile has plans other than the new xda II when they deside to release it. So I may have burned my bridges by going to T-mobile, even if it was a matter of no choice.
In terms of the other providers and being able to switch to their service, as long as you can install the SIM chip in you phone, you shoud be set to go.

+Quote Post
nin1974
post Nov 21 2003, 02:57 AM
Post #18

Gadget Junkie

so you're saying it's not worth getting the $19.99 Unlimited Web-access from T Mobile...

--------------------

+Quote Post
DARKMON
post Nov 21 2003, 02:13 PM
Post #19

I'd say it would be a personal call. Like I said, in my area its slow and i'm not always connecting and I do not really need the internet feature, thow its a great geek factor. When the faster serevices are availible I'm sure its going to just be a standard thing to have. I would check it out in your area first and see how it performs. T-Mobile offers a two week grace period for their service, so check it out and good luck!

+Quote Post
nin1974
post Nov 21 2003, 03:56 PM
Post #20

Gadget Junkie

ok, thanks for the heads-up on the 2 week grace period biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 09:21 AM