Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

Update :: a deal has been struck and as soon as we have all the details worked out, we will announce it to the forum. I will say this, the new owner, I am confident, will carry on with MGN just as we all want it to be run.

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. Tomorrow at around noon Pacific time, MGN will go up on the auction block on Ebay. I have been running this site since October of 2003 and it has really been a trip. My current lifestyle just does not allow me to run this site the way it should be run and with increased demands at work and at home, I have to step down as the "HMFIC" around here.

The sale will include the MobileGadgetNews.com and mpx200.org domain names and the site as a whole. I will help the new owner transition into the role in every way that I can and provide them with support and even free hosting through the first half of 2006. There is serious potential here for someone who wants to build an empire.

I do plan to stick around and be a contributor and the other moderators and admins of the site, I believe, will all stick it out too. We just need a new boss, I'm tired and overloaded.

If you think you might want a turn-key site you have about 24 hours to get with me before the site goes up. I am going to put a reasonable reserve on the auction but I would estimate that the site would go for similar money as PocketPCAddict did a few months ago when it was sold by Brad. If you are interested, let me know and we can discuss the details. Email me, pm me, grab me on Google talk or MSN.

Don't worry folks, MGN will live on and probably be better for the change overall.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Jan 17 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

This news makes me sad. You've created a friendly environment here, with it's own unique voice and style. It's a good place you've built. Let's hope you make a good little packet of cash on the transaction and that the new owners can match your style, wit and good nature.

I wish you every success and enjoyment with your next endeavors!

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 17 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

You will be missed as the head honcho Sean. Hopefully the new owner, whoever they may be, will only improve on what you have already built. I know I, along with my fellow moderators, will fully support whoever it is in any way possible. The news also makes me sad, but all things have to change eventually.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
net_bull
post Jan 17 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 42

Sean,
As a person who wanted to help but wasn't able to do much due to various obligations, I totally understand your reasoning for the move. All good things come to an end and who knows, maybe we will get someone as good to buy this site out. Thanks for starting the original mpx200.org and poured tons of energy and resource into this and hope everyone will stick around for the long run.
Good luck on the sale.
Cheers,

Steve

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jan 17 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I met Sean and his beautiful family in DC at the MGN get together. That was a while back. For a married person, family time with the wife and kid is the most important things in life from my perspective. I respect Sean for what he has accomplished and his values. Sean has provided great leadership to get the site to this point. The site really provides a valuable service to all users of MS mobile platforms. I appreciate the opportunity Sean has provided all of us to be part of such a positive site.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
robgreen
post Jan 18 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,014
Phone: HTC Hurricane
Carrier: T-Mobile

Sean,

I'm not much of a tech guy. I bought my mpx200 a few years ago and used your site to help me get the most out of the phone. thanks for making this site. Best of Luck in everything you do.

Rob

+Quote Post
gears
post Jan 18 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,295
Carrier: Orange

Sorry to hear about your decision Sean, but I can understand that family must always come first. I hope MobileGadgetNews lives on and is as good as it always has been - I've always checked your site daily since October 2003 and the fantastic mpx200.org site, which I still end up typing in my address bar!

Good luck mate.

Gears (Webmaster @ www.coolsmartphone.com)

+Quote Post
mkestu
post Jan 18 2006, 02:32 AM
Post #8

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 3,088
Phone: Cingular 3125
PMC: Other

Good call dude. Thanks for all the effort and time you put into this project.

--------------------
Mike S (mkestu)

HTC StarTrek aka 3125
1G microSD
ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Bluespoon AX2 & JawBoneII
Garmin GPS10x BT GPS

+Quote Post
encece
post Jan 18 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 62

Good Riddin's!!!!!

Just kidding. Sorry to see you stepping aside. We all know how life can get in the way of things we like to do...but fortunately you have the wisdom to know that this obsession we all have pales in comparison to the stuff that really matters most. Good Luck to you and yours.

(excuse my poor spelling!)

+Quote Post
kmaerke
post Jan 18 2006, 05:14 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 871
Phone: HP iPAQ h6500

sorry to hear your decision sean but with 2 kids of my own I can understand. with that said I am making an announcement

anyone interested in purchasing the site??? i bet there are a few of us that would put up a few bucks? let me know. I am much like the general population here in that I look at the site for info almost daily. this site is too influential to let go. PM me to discuss any ideas.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Jan 18 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #11

Site Administrator

Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard

As Sean has indicated, the "staff" of MGN is here to support the community in whatever capacity the new owner(s) wishes. Sean started this effort for the community and that is why we all participate. In essence everyone here is staff, offering insight and information where and when they have it, making us all better able to take advantage of our Windows Mobile devices. Sean stepping down does not mean an end to that, and in fact means exactly the opposite.

Sean, I have said it before and now I say it publicly: Thank you for the opportunity to help out, and for the empire you had the vision to create. I know you will be around continuing to offer your insight but your leadership will be missed. I respect the decision you have made and believe you have made the right decision. Good luck to you and your family.

Finally, for those of you who are sorry for Sean's decision I don't think you should be. Sean is doing what is best for him and his family. MGN will continue on. Sean believes that he isn't providing the time and effort the site deserves and is stepping aside (not down) to let someone else drive for the good of the site and the community. THAT is leadership: knowing when the time has come and being able to make the decision accepting that you can't be everything to everyone all the time.

Jim

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
MikeTemporale
post Jan 18 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #12

SmartphoneThoughts.com

Member No.: 2,388

Hey Sean, I certainly understand your decision, and it must have a hard one to make. Best of luck in the sale and your future endeavors.

--------------------
"I have no special talents, I am only passionately curious" - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
www.msmobiles.co...
post Jan 18 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,047

QUOTE (Sean @ Jan 17 2006, 12:13 PM)
for similar money as PocketPCAddict did a few months ago when it was sold by Brad.

you wanna get 5000 USD for it? it's too much me thinks.

I can offer 944 USD - let me know if you are interested.

Otherwise: let's start the auction on eBay ASAP and see how it goes!

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 18 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #14

Site Founder
Group Icon

Quick update - I am talking with a bunch of people about the site, there are some serious contenders who are interested. At the moment, I am pushing back the auction plans until I see how this plays out, I would prefer to have more control over who takes over, some of the folks who I have been talking to would be great so I will keep you all posted...

PS. Sorry msmobiles but at this point, I will have to pass...

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 18 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #15

Site Founder
Group Icon

Please see the original post for an update.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 18 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

That is a great update. It's nice to have the uncertainty out of the way. I'm looking forward to meeting the new boss! At least you will still be around and posting Sean, not like you are going dark or anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 18 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #17

Site Founder
Group Icon

"not like you are going dark or anything."

Nah, no Palm OS for me man...

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 19 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Not quite the kind of dark I was referring to, but dark none-the-less. Unless in going Palm you are getting the 700w. But you did say OS, not just Palm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Jan 19 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #19

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600

Congrats on the quick transaction!

So Sean, does this mean you will no longer be needing your VIP tickets to the Mobile Adult Content Congress next week? laugh.gif

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
elviaitalia
post Jan 19 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #20

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 3,112
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Vodafone

Sean,

I wish you all the best and, even if it might sound trite and useless, I totally second your decision. Family comes before everything else.

That said I wish to thank you for MGN and for all that MGN means/has meant for us Mpx200 users over the years.

I have a huge amount of WM-smartphones-related bookmarks on my browser but, from a statistical point of view I can affirm that I have always found the best, more knowledgeable, more useful informations on this site, every time the need for an advice, a pointer, an opinion, a confirmation has arised.

I still remember when I first dropped on this site in May 2004; I had got my Mpx200 for just one or two days and knew almost nothing about it. Thanks to MGN, to its moderators and its users I almost immediately became a "power user". MGN even helped me extending the phone's lifespan as I came to know about the 2003 and 2005 roms in here, before the news were out anywhere else.

What can I say? Thanks again Sean. I now am looking forward for your unvaluable contribution as a moderator.

By the way: Isn't it a bit of a coincidence that you have decided to sell MGN on the same day I finally made my mind up and bought a new smartphone to replace my still-perfectly-working-but old-and creacky Mpx200? laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 08:55 AM