Xeno
post Dec 15 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #1

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,190
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel

Now that I am using a Cingular 3125 and an older phone my mother has been using is being phased out by Cingular, I plan to give her my MPX 220.

Unfortunately I have 200+ contacts in the phone and it would take a week to delete them one at a time. I wish I had acesss to an Outlook with no contacts and I imagine it would be possible to then remove all the contacts at once.

So what must I do? My 80-year old mother is going to be lost with so many names and I am not sure that she will be able to learn how to use the voice command. She has had a lot of mini-strokes and can not handle some semi-complex tasks.

Thanks for any advice.

--------------------
Cingular 3125, MPX 220 1.43
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 15 2006, 03:42 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

I don't know if there's an easy way to do it.

But, maybe it'd be easier to hard reset the 220 (first tell ActiveSync NOT to sync your contacts list) then just re-load the few programs you think she might need. I imagine her needs are pretty basic and might not need much more than what the phone's ROM comes pre-loaded with.

I just did this scenario setting up a 3125 to give as a gift. I set it up in ActiveSync but made sure not to sync my contacts, tasks, or anything else. In fact, if you just set it up as a "guest" each time you connect it via USB to your computer it won't sync anything but will allow you to access the storage card and internal memory.

Then you will probably want to "beam" her a few contacts like your phone numbers etc.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Dec 15 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,190
Phone: Cingular 8525

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Dec 14 2006, 10:42 PM) *
I don't know if there's an easy way to do it.

But, maybe it'd be easier to hard reset the 220 (first tell ActiveSync NOT to sync your contacts list) then just re-load the few programs you think she might need. I imagine her needs are pretty basic and might not need much more than what the phone's ROM comes pre-loaded with.

I just did this scenario setting up a 3125 to give as a gift. I set it up in ActiveSync but made sure not to sync my contacts, tasks, or anything else. In fact, if you just set it up as a "guest" each time you connect it via USB to your computer it won't sync anything but will allow you to access the storage card and internal memory.

Then you will probably want to "beam" her a few contacts like your phone numbers etc.

Thanks for pointing to the obvious. If I do have programs on this phone, my mother will not need them.

So a hard set just returns everything to factory settings?

I can't seem to find the manual, can you remind me how to do a hard reset on this MPX 220?

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Dec 15 2006, 12:48 PM

--------------------
Cingular 3125, MPX 220 1.43

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 15 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Yes, it returns everything to how it was when it shipped from the factory. With the phone powered off, press and hold the blue action button and the power button. You'll get a message on screen telling you what to do next. Wait for it to boot, and you're done.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 15 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Dec 15 2006, 07:09 AM) *
Yes, it returns everything to how it was when it shipped from the factory.
Unless...somewhere along the line the ROM was flashed to perhaps an Asian ROM. That's what I've done with mine. So, if I do the hard reset like Smeg just explained I am looking at a lot of Chinese stuff that needs to be Americanized. wink.gif So, check which ROM you have first (unless you already know it's never been flashed...then just go for it) and if it's Asian be prepared to do the few steps you need to do so you can read the screens. It's not hard and Omega2008 has a tutorial on how to do it. It literally takes less than 5 minutes, so don't let it stop you if you find yourself in this situation.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:58 AM