> bluetooth GPS for smartphone, specifically sp3i
radium02
post Jul 26 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,312

Hi there,

As you might be aware, I currently have an iMate SP3i. Phones great -- no problems to date.

I would like to get some GPS going on in the unit. I've seen "CoPilot Live Smartphone Bluetooth GPS" but for that price, I'd rather buy a 2005 Acura TL with built in NAVI tongue.gif .

I was wondering if anyone has GPS on their smartphone (SP3i, or other) using a bluetooth reciever. And if you do, which unit and software do you use? If worst comes, to worst, I will have to purchase "CoPilot Live Smartphone Bluetooth GPS".

thx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 26 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

You can't go wrong with Mapopolis. They are on the verge of a new version for the phone and it is amazing. Price, well the app is free but a year subscription to d/l the maps is about $100, but the maps are good after that (they don't expire).

Personally I am using it with a GlobalSAT GPS on my 5600, and it will work the same for you on your phone... wink.gif

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Dazoro
post Jul 26 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,772
Phone: SX66/PDA2k
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric,
Is there also a new version for the pocket pc coming out at the same time?

--------------------
Andy
SX66, MPX200 with T-Mo

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 26 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

QUOTE (Dazoro @ Jul 26 2005, 01:28 PM)
eric,
    Is there also a new version for the pocket pc coming out at the same time?

Yes, they will both release at the same time with the same version number. Expect a solid product as it has been in extensive beta for the last 7 months.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 27 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I am also using Mapopolis on my SP3i and X50v. It is a great program, and you just can't beat the features and price of it. Along with that, I have a Holux GR-230 that I got on ebay for $75. You can't beat that price, and the receiver works great. I haven't had any problems with it yet. BT GPS is like entering a whole new world of sweetness. There is a huge functionality factor, as well as a huge wow factor to getting GPS directions on your phone.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
hotdram
post Aug 8 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,662
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
PMC: Other

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jul 27 2005, 09:01 AM)
I am also using Mapopolis on my SP3i and X50v.  It is a great program, and you just can't beat the features and price of it.  Along with that, I have a Holux GR-230 that I got on ebay for $75.  You can't beat that price, and the receiver works great. I haven't had any problems with it yet.  BT GPS is like entering a whole new world of sweetness.  There is a huge functionality factor, as well as a huge wow factor to getting GPS directions on your phone.

I am using a SysOn BT GPS with the new SirF III chipset paired to my SMT5600. I love it!! As was said before, there is a "sweet" factor involved when you can have your phone tell you where to go (usually it is the other way around). I am trying out Mapopolis for mapping software. I haven't purchased it yet, because even though it is the least expensive of the auto-routing softwares available, I am waiting for Microsoft Pocket Street and Trips 2006 to hit the shelves. I heard that it will have better GPS support than MS S/T 2005. Currently, in 2005, MS offers GPS support that shows you your current position in real time, but you can not do auto-routing on the phone.
I like Mapopolis, it is easy to use and the maps use the NavTeq database. When I used their software for my old Palm M505, they were using a database that was a bit older (Tiger?). My two beefs with Mapoplis are 1) The fee only lets you download maps from their website for a year 2) the user interface could be a little better.
One of the good things about Mapopolis is that the software is free, you pay for the maps. That way, I can download the version for my iPaq PPC and the version for my SMT5600 without paying anything. You then purchase a mappack, the mappack can be used on either platform, the smartphone or the PPC. Other vendors sell PPC versions and Smartphone versions. You would have to pay for both to use both.

Good luck on your decision,
~Rob

+Quote Post
jkovacs
post Aug 11 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,110

Make this one more vote for Mapopolis. I've been beta testing it with my SMT 5600 and its pretty solid. The app is free and $100 for the maps is very resonable for this feature-rich product. I originally had a Belkin Bluetooth GPS (same as Fortuna Clip-on) but it went bad after three months. I replaced it with the Globalsat BT-338 with the new SiRF star III chipset and its amazing! Acquisition is immediate, hardly any lag, and battery life is phenomenal. You can get it at buygpsnow.com for $140, which is a steal compared to the $179 I paid in April.

CoPilot Live looks great, but the extra eye candy isn't worth paying nearly double the price of the Mapopolis/Globalsat combination, IMHO. rolleyes.gif

...Joe K.

This post has been edited by jkovacs: Aug 11 2005, 01:45 PM

+Quote Post
hotdram
post Aug 11 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (jkovacs @ Aug 11 2005, 08:44 AM)
CoPilot Live looks great, but the extra eye candy isn't worth paying nearly double  the price of the Mapopolis/Globalsat combination, IMHO.  rolleyes.gif

...Joe K.

Agreed!!
I have heard (read) that Microsoft Pocket Streets and Trips 2006 is supposed to have better GPS support than MS S/T 2005. In 2005, you are only shown your current location in real time, there is no autorouting on the phone or the ability to create routes on a PC and send them to the phone. I hope by "better GPS support" it is meant that autorouting will be available on the phone.
I am waiting to confirm this before I buy Mapopolis, as MS S/T should be less expensive, plus you would have the CD's, you wouldn't have to download each map set you want (I wish it would come out soon though, I am getting an itchy finger on the "Purchase" button at Mapopolis.)

~Rob

+Quote Post
Dazoro
post Aug 11 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,772
Phone: SX66/PDA2k
Carrier: T-Mobile

QUOTE (hotdram @ Aug 11 2005, 09:07 AM)
Agreed!!
I have heard (read) that Microsoft Pocket Streets and Trips 2006 is supposed to have better GPS support than MS S/T 2005.  In 2005, you are only shown your current location in real time, there is no autorouting on the phone or the ability to create routes on a PC and send them to the phone.  I hope by "better GPS support" it is meant that autorouting will be available on the phone.
I am waiting to confirm this before I buy Mapopolis, as MS S/T should be less expensive, plus you would have the CD's, you wouldn't have to download each map set you want (I wish it would come out soon though, I am getting an itchy finger on the "Purchase" button at Mapopolis.)

~Rob

I'm in the same boat as Rob. Anyone have any idea when MS S/T 2006 will be out?

--------------------
Andy
SX66, MPX200 with T-Mo

+Quote Post
hotdram
post Aug 11 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Dazoro @ Aug 11 2005, 03:22 PM)
I'm in the same boat as Rob.  Anyone have any idea when MS S/T 2006 will be out?

I asked the same question over at smartphonethoughts.com
If I get any response, I will share it here. Another good site to check out (where I read that the 2006 version will be "better") is gpspassion.com

~Rob

This post has been edited by hotdram: Aug 11 2005, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:49 AM