post Dec 13 2008, 07:11 AM
Post #1

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,048
Phone: Other
Carrier: Verizon
PocketPC: Other

I've had my Omnia i910 now for just over a week (1 wk +1 day). It is a great phone. I came from a very usable i760.

This phone is smaller, thinner, more accessible and works well with so far, no real hangups.

I have added some 3rd party software, some of which I was using on my i760, some of it new to take better advantage of the phone.

List of Current software is:
IntelliSync (via work)
AEButonPlus
Resco Explorer
MyMobiler
Spb Pocket Plus
Spb Keyboard (switch between it and Samsung keyboard)
PocketMax PhoneAlarm
MoDaCo OmniaTHREAD
MohairSofa Calendar+ Today Plugin
Slingplayer Mobile
Tonaya Weather to Go
Inesoft Phone4

It looks like I finally got past some issues with PhoneAlarm in silent mode. I was having issues that appear to have been related to the constantly running ActiveSync. I found a way to stop that.

I became a magnet at work with questions about the phone as a number of fellow employees, management and upper management are looking at the same phone. I created a PDF that has some issues, software I am using etc... that I will post here when I get the next update in.

Issues...

Always are some, but so far not many...

The virtual keyboard takes some getting used to. I actually use two keyboards, the Samsung Keyboard and also Spb Keyboard with the latter having the ability to get smaller to see more screen real estate. The keyboard just takes some getting used to.

Many people don't know about the mouse... I found a way to toggle it on/off that has helped basically make the device stylus free.

GPS... locked or at least is so far. While I am not really sure how well it would work compared to my external BT GPS that works great, it would be nice to have access to it. Just saw tonight that there has been some breakthroughs on this from the SAGE group... so it might be a mute issue soon. I've also seen a number of reports now that Verizon will be putting out an update Q1 2009 that will fix some things and unlock the GPS. Will see.

VZNavigator... tried it... POS .. would not recommend it to anyone. The idea of using the phone for navigation while driving is scary to me to begin with. You think trying to dial while driving is bad... I use a full sized GPS in my truck for navigation.

However, I need and use the GPS to get coordinates so that I can see where I've been, where I collected data from (Weather Data) and VZNavigator can't do that.

Accessories...

have some coming... one is a retractable data/charge cable that is supposed to work with both computers and UPS non-computer pwr sources. The other is a leather case... Both from BoxWave ...

I think the case will give the phone some protection. Tis a small device and almost slippery.

Some images:

1) Replacement startup screen
2) Today Screen
3) Today Screen showing Pocket Plus tab open
4) Sling Media... watching SciFi Channel (device looks better than the image).
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Screen06.png ( 18.88K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  Screen08.png ( 26.62K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  Screen09.png ( 33.04K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  Screen10.png ( 36.33K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
Samsung Omnia i910 - Former Samsung SCH i760 (2gb MicroSD) - Former Treo700W user
USB720 WWan Device Rev. A for Remote WWAN Access.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Dec 13 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #2

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Need to add Omnia i910 and Omnia i900 to the Phone list. Can't select anything other than... Other now.

--------------------
Samsung Omnia i910 - Former Samsung SCH i760 (2gb MicroSD) - Former Treo700W user

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Dec 13 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #3

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I'm impressed.

I ran a test app last night that is able to talk to the GPS chip on the phone. So unlocking looks to be fairly close.

What impressed me was the speed of the lock and the fact it could see up to 9 Sat's while I was sitting in the middle of the family room at least 15ft from a window in my house. It also locked on very fast as apparently the test app uses the aGPS features to assist in lock.

It took about 12 seconds before it did anything, said looking for GPS signals and then bam, it came up with data and had 5 sat's already.

The GPS in my truck has a cow if I go under a drive thu.

Image of a capture of the data attached. Oh, the app has the coordinates backwards... lat <-> long but they key is that it can get data from the chip.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  gps_test_omnia01.png ( 6.46K ) Number of downloads: 1

--------------------

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Dec 13 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Accessories arrived today... fast. I just ordered them Thursday from BoxWave.

Two items...

Leather Case

URL: http://www.boxwave.com/products/dlsleeve/s...sleeve_3399.htm

Leather case that the unit slides into and is held in via a strap snap at the top. Nice snug fit that doesn't make the phone too large. Easier to hold (phone by itself is a bit slippery). I left the clip off as I put it in my pocket, but useful if I need it.

Retractable Dual Charge/Sync Data cable
URL: http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/m...a-i910_3399.htm

First thing I found out when I got the phone was the normal USB data/charge cable didn't work with my USB Cigarette lighter adapter in the truck. Something Samsung did about charging to a non-computer USB device.

This cable has two ends, one for charge/sync with a computer and one for charge to a USB non-computer device.

Works great.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  omnia_case01.png ( 54.51K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  omnia_case02.png ( 53.51K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  omnia_cable_01.png ( 30.79K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  omnia_cable_02.png ( 37.31K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  omnia_cable_03.png ( 49.84K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Dec 13 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I put together an info sheet for some freinds and co-workers about software etal I am using on my phone. I seem to be updating it daily.

http://www.tnet.com/POSTED/Omnia-info.pdf

--------------------

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Dec 14 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #6

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

The case is going back.

The killer was the strip of leather across the front of the device over the Samsung logo. It prevented the use of the Dpad for up and down swipes. I'm not sure that even with that strip removed that the case would not still interfere with swipes due to the bottom edge of the case.

--------------------

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Apr 11 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #7

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Flashed phone with "unofficial" ROM the other day.

GPS is now unlocked and works pretty good. Appears that Assisted part sometimes doesn't work so you takes a while to get a lock. Today, its been locking in about 30 seconds.

They are now starting to make custom ROMs for this now that an image was finally found.

Easily, the best phone I've had so far.

Looking at Abatis For sale, might pick up a spare.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Apr 11 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #8

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Secondary Carrier: Sprint

That is great. The GPS ied to Verizon has bothered me. Any issues with the ROM?

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Apr 12 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #9

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (abatis @ Apr 11 2009, 02:16 PM) *
That is great. The GPS ied to Verizon has bothered me. Any issues with the ROM?

Some have had issues. Even a few reported Bricks... but I really think they were doing something wrong (like batteries low).

I didn't after I figured out that you had to turn off the phone (completely) to do the flash rather than just turn off the screen.

GPS work (for me) real well. I suspect however that the Assisted part is either not always working or doesn't work at all. It can sometimes take time to get a sync.

I've used it with GPSGate, Gmaps, LiveSearch and G-Watch.

The rom has a couple other things in it. It is I suspect a Beta Rom, not an actual release but works well for me.

Now I want to cook my own Roms but I want to keep one one "safe and configured" as I really need it. So if I mess up the other one its not a big disaster.

The official rom is supposed to be out mid May.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:51 PM