IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Abatis' Cingular GPRS cab, doesn't allow passthrough connection, any fixes?
runningtiger
post Mar 17 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I installed Abatis' cab file for the Cingular GPRS settings and though they work, I lost the pass through functionality I had before I installed the cab file settings.

I had set up all my data connections myself prior to installing the cab file and when my MPx200 was connected via USB cable to my laptop with ActiveSync running I could access web pages without using the GPRS connection and therefore do so at no charge. It was a great way to check out a new mobile website and see if I liked it. Also, I was able to visit sites I want to use and save the exact page I wanted as a favorite and not have to click my way to it whenever I wanted to use it on the road (so to speak).

My settings worked for everything except our local ABC News affiliate's mobile site (KABC Los Angeles myABC7.com) . In which case I could always load the front page (except the pictures failed) but if I clicked on a link to go to say "movies" I'd get an error message that said "Unable to connect. Verify your dialup or proxy settings are correct, and try again." In order to use the site I'd have to go into the IE options\connections and uncheck the "automatically detect settings" then it would load properly and allow me to click on the links. (BUT, this setting doesn't recognize the passthrough and would always connect via GPRS...$$) I was hoping to have the perfect settings that would allow me to use all the sites I want and seemlessly do it in the best way - via passthrough if it's connected to my laptop or via GPRS if not).

Soooo, I thought I'd try the cab file and see how it worked. It seems like everything works except the pass through. Any ideas on how to get that part back?

I've searched the forum and found several different sets of instructions regarding Cingular data connections settings. I've tried them all - and my settings I'd done on my own actually worked the best. They allow for pass through and without changing anything they work when I'm out and about. The only caveat being I can't use that abc7 site. Not a problem since I've since found sites that provide better info anyway.

I just did a hard reset of the phone and certainly enjoyed the ease of just installing the cab file, but miss the pass through ability and will be going back and manually making the changes back to my settings if there is not an easy fix for the cab file settings.

Oh, another thought, after the hard reset whatever the Data Connection settings were - they allowed for a passthrough connection. I checked and they all just said "automatic". The WM2003 rom I'm using is NOT the Cartman one. Not sure what it's called but under GPRS connections it has a whole bunch of European ones.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 17 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

After you are connected via Activesync go to Start/Settings/Data Connections, and check the list of available Internet connections. Is Passthru one of them? It should be. You can select it and use the Passthru connection. Then when you aren't connected to the PC it will switch to automatic and use the Cingular settings. Is that not the case?

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
abatis
post Mar 17 2006, 04:20 AM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I will check the code to see if I am changing that entry. First time I have heard this as an issue. Smegs suggestion should work. Personally I never use pass through.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 17 2006, 07:08 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Mar 16 2006, 05:50 PM) *
After you are connected via Activesync go to Start/Settings/Data Connections, and check the list of available Internet connections. Is Passthru one of them? It should be. You can select it and use the Passthru connection. Then when you aren't connected to the PC it will switch to automatic and use the Cingular settings. Is that not the case?
No. It's not the case on mine anyway. Pass through is not a choice. The choices are:
Automatic
Cingular Internet (this is the one that is selected)
D1 Internet
D2 Internet
EPlus Internet
O2 Internet
Swisscom Internet
Sunrise Internet
CurrentDTPTNetwork

The only place I have seen anything about "pass through" is on ActiveSync\Options\Rules. It says "to use pass through, this computer must be connected. Connection: ___ " and then you choose between "the internet" and "work". Mine has "the internet" selected.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
abatis
post Mar 17 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

You can uninstall the CAB in remove programs if you wish. Does the AciveSync passthrough slection work?

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 17 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #6

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (abatis @ Mar 17 2006, 05:14 AM) *
You can uninstall the CAB in remove programs if you wish. Does the AciveSync passthrough slection work?

It works if I use my settings not the cab file settings. Using my settings the little G in a square over by the signal strength bars never appears and with the cab file settings it does. With Cingular at least, when the little G is present one gets charged for data useage.

Here are the differences in how the settings are set up (I've attached an Excel spreadsheet that shows all this. I found it to be the only way I could really compare the different settings.)(Oooops. Guess not. I told it to attach the file twice and both time it just disappears. Oh well. If you'd like to see it, PM me your email address and I'll email it to you):

1) under Proxy Connections "Proxy (name:port)" mine has 66.209.11.61 and WAP@CINGULAR.COM as the user name. The cab file has 66.209.11.61:9201 and user name is blank.

2) under GPRS Connections mine connects to the WAP Network and the cab file connects to The Internet. They both use the same access point and user name. I can't tell what password the cab file uses due to it just being a bunch of asterisks.

3) in Programs\Settings\More\Data connections mine has Internet Connection & Work Connection set to automatic. WAP Connection set to my GPRS Connection (described above) & Secure WAP Connection set to automatic. The cab file has the Internet Connection set to Cingular Internet & Work Connection set to automatic. WAP Connection is set to Cingular Internet & Secure WAP Connection is set to Cingular MMS.

4) in Internet Explorer\Menu\Options\Connections mine has "automatically detect settings" selected (checked affirmative) and the selected network is WAP Network as does the cab file settings.

I just tested to make sure and it is for sure that with the cab settings, even though I've got the phone connected to the laptop using the USB cable and ActiveSync is set up to use the pass through connection, I'm charged for how many kb's I download and with my settings it is a passthrough connection that uses my laptop's cable modem internet connection at no additional cost.

Whew....that was a lot of typing. Hope someone finds it useful!

This post has been edited by runningtiger: Mar 17 2006, 10:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Mar 20 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #7

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Great info, I will update the CAB when I back from vacation.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Apr 25 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (abatis @ Mar 20 2006, 06:49 AM) *
Great info, I will update the CAB when I back from vacation.

Hey Abatis - I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I've since replaced the 220 that I was refering to in the above posts. It was a silver one running the 1.43 rom and I now have a black one running the 1.280 rom.

I just got done doing a hard reset on the black one since I'm troubleshooting an internet connection issue. After the reset the only thing I loaded on the phone was your Cingular GPRS cab file. It works perfectly on THIS phone. I even checked the available internet connections list and "pass through" is on it - where it was not on the other phone. However, I have not had to choose that option since the ActiveSync pass through feature works perfectly with the INTERNET CONNECTIONS just set to auto.

Since the cab file's default settings did not actually use the pass through (it always showed a little G over the signal strenght bars) I made a few different selections and it now uses pass through and therefore does NOT show the little G over the signal strength bars (when connected via USB to laptop and ActiveSync).

On my phone, here are the settings that allow a pass through connection...
on the start\settings\9 More...\data connections menu:
Internet connection: auto
work connection: auto
WAP connection: auto
Secure WAP: auto
WAP Proxy: WAP Proxy
MMS Network: auto
Secure WAP Proxy: auto

and in PIE\menu\6 Options\Connections:
automatically detect settings is checked affirmatively
select network is WAP Network

So, there you have it! Thanks for the great cab file. At least with this phone, it was terrific not to have to manually enter all those settings!

--------------------

+Quote Post
anarche
post Oct 20 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,584

I too have lost passthrough ability. I'm using a Cingular 8125 with a clean rom. I tried using my own settins for GPRS and Abatis' Cab and have no passthrough ability either way.

Anyone have any suggestions? All settings on the PC are correct, and AFAIK all settings on the phone are correct. If anyone would be kind enough to assist me with getting this to work I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

AnarchE

(Where are you Omega??? :-) )

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 20 2006, 01:05 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

Lol I am here. Passthru should work automatically but lets try some things. With your phone connected to ActiveSync either via USB or BT. First make sure that the Cingular Proxy is disabled.....I could not get passthru to work when I had the proxy enabled in the connection settings. Before connecting go into Connection Settings in ActiveSync on the computer and in the drop box under "This computer is connected to:" make sure its set to Automatic. Then connect your phone via ActiveSync and try browsing a web page it should load much faster and you shouldn't have a E or a G over the signal meter.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 20 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I noticed you said "lost" pass through ability. Does that imply that you had it before and now you don't?

I no longer use my MPx220 that this post was originally about, so it's been awhile since I tried to access the internet with it. I just tried Omega's suggestion and it didn't work for me. So, I went back and tried the settings I posted awhile back...that worked then. They aren't working either. I've been sitting here trying every setting combination I can think of and cannot find one set of settings that works for both pass through and GPRS. It used to work fine. So, I've lost the ability as well. I can have either/or. It sounds like that's what you're experiencing too...that you used to be able to do it and now you can't.

I don't know how to fix it. Just thought I'd pipe in.
---
I wrote the top part last night and didn't post 'cuz I thought maybe I was just too tired and making a mistake somewhere in the setup.

So, today, I just tried again and can't find one set of settings that will allow pass through AND a GPRS connection when not synced up. So, I was thinking the issue is Cingular's...and hopefully temporary.

But, here's the truly odd part...I just tried the same thing with my current phone (i-mate SP5m on the same plan as the MPx220) and it works fine. ohmy.gif blink.gif I'm totally confused. I just went through all the settings with the phones side by side to ensure they're set up the same...which they are. Why does it work on the i-mate and not the Motorola? Don't know... unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 20 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

The settings I posted will not work for smartphones, the way the smartphone OS handles data connections is different from how the PPC platform will. Runningtiger make sure in Conncections that when you are connected to ActiveSync it is set to Pass-Thru Connection or Automatic. For a PPC, these settings are not available and is defaulted to be handled automatically, as long as its set right on the computer version of ActiveSync it should work....I have several friends with 8125's and this works for them as well as me. Now I have a 3125 and I have to do things differently for it. I will pop my SIM in my 3125 and get it working and post my doings, hopefully it will provide some sort of help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 20 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Start, Settings, Connections, Menu, Advanced:

Internet Connection: Automatic
Work Connection: Automatic
WAP Connection: Automatic
Secure WAP Connection: Automatic

I connected my 3125 via BT and USB and had internet passthru, I left the settings at Automatic and surfed to MGN...it loaded very fast with USB like it should. Next I went to Connections and changed Internet Connection to Pass Thru, when I did it still loaded very fast...as well as other pages, then I changed it to GPRS and sure enough it took longer and my speakers started to hum like they always do when data is being sent and recieved. So when left on Automatic it will switch between GPRS and Passthru giving Passthru priority when connected to ActiveSync. Of course on the PPC you can't change these options, that I know of, and it works automatically with the settings I stated in my first post. Try this out with your MPx 220 and SP5m, it should work with both since they both have the connection profiles.

--------------------

+Quote Post
anarche
post Oct 20 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #14

Omega: Everything is set as it should be as far as I can tell. On the phone the proxy for Media Net and My Work are both turned off. AS on my PC is set to Automatic, and activesync works fine. Just no passthrough ability.

I should mention I'm using Moloski's clean ROM but passthrough WAS working with this rom and i don't know when/why it stopped working. The biggest thing that irks me about it is my weather updates, and push email don't work while plugged in...and i basically charge/sync my phone 8 hours a day so that's a real PITA.

-AnarchE

(btw Omega not sure if you remember me from HoFo or not, but me and you talked quite a bit a while back when the MPX220/free bluetooth thing was going on with XBM)

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 20 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Of course I remember....I am using a Summiter ROM...so I don't know the ROM could be the problem. However it is working on my end....

--------------------

+Quote Post
anarche
post Oct 21 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (omega2008 @ Oct 20 2006, 11:13 PM) *
Of course I remember....I am using a Summiter ROM...so I don't know the ROM could be the problem. However it is working on my end....

I used summiters but didn't find it really stable, then switched to Moloski's and it's stable and battery is great. I know the problem lies with the phone because i've tried it on 3 computers with 3 different versions of AS and none have worked for passthrough.

Any other suggestions?

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 22 2006, 01:11 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

I love summiters ROM never had a problem. May have to try this Moloski's ROM though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 24 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #18

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (omega2008 @ Oct 20 2006, 03:40 PM) *
Start, Settings, Connections, Menu, Advanced:

the cab file sets up my phone to Internet Connection: Cingular Internet
the cab file sets up my phone to Work Connection: Automatic
the cab file sets up my phone to WAP Connection: Cingular Internet
the cab file sets up my phone to Secure WAP Connection: Cingular MMS

I connected my 3125 via BT and USB and had internet passthru, I left the settings at Automatic and surfed to MGN...it loaded very fast with USB like it should. Next I went to Connections and changed Internet Connection to Pass Thru, when I did it still loaded very fast...as well as other pages, then I changed it to GPRS and sure enough it took longer and my speakers started to hum like they always do when data is being sent and recieved. So when left on Automatic it will switch between GPRS and Passthru giving Passthru priority when connected to ActiveSync. Of course on the PPC you can't change these options, that I know of, and it works automatically with the settings I stated in my first post. Try this out with your MPx 220 and SP5m, it should work with both since they both have the connection profiles.

In regards to the 220...
I find this confusing and wierd...but with a happy ending.

Before I did any of your suggestions, my MPx220 had the default settings seen above in red. With those settings (the default settings made by the CAB file) my AS "this computer is connected to:" had to be set to connect to The Internet. When it was on Automatic I got a message that the page I was looking for couldn't be found. I tried several sites and got the same message.

On the phone, I checked the data connections to see if the internet connection changed to Pass Through when I was hooked up via USB...it did not. It stayed on Cingular Internet. So, I manually changed it to Pass Through connection...but left the other settings the same. Then I surfed to MGN and it did so quickly. I took the phone off the USB connection and surfed to another site and it loaded via GPRS...as hoped for. I went back and looked at the data connections\internet connection setting and it had changed from Pass Through Connection to Automatic. Hmm...so, I hooked up the USB cable again to see if it would change itself back to Pass Through? Nope, it stayed on Automatic...BUT, when I loaded a new site it did so very quickly! So, it's using the pass through now. And, just out of curiosity, I went and changed the AS "this computer is connected to:" the Internet to Automatic like you suggested (and didn't work the first time around) and NOW it works. blink.gif Whatever...I'm happy. Totally confused, but glad to have things working as I'd expect them to. It's like the Pass Through Connection setting needed a kick start!

Thanks for the suggestions Omega! I have no idea why I needed to go through this setup all over when the settings I posted awhile back (earlier in this thread) worked back then? blink.gif

So...on the MPx220, it now uses the AS connection as a pass through and when not connected makes a GPRS connection - without making any changes. It does it all on it's own. Here's my settings as they stand now:

Internet Connection: Automatic (after the manual Pass Through Connection "jump start")
WAP Connection: Cingular Internet OR Automatic work
Secure WAP Connection: Cingular MMS OR Automatic work
WAP Proxy: WAP Proxy
MMS Network: auto
Secure WAP Proxy: auto

While still in the Data Connections choose Menu\Options
redial is set to 2
idle disconnect after 5 minutes
and my desktop connects to The Internet

In pIE\menu\Options\Connections:
automatically detect settings is affirmatively checked
select network is set to WAP Network (or, the internet)

Now, on the computer, in ActiveSync the drop box under "This computer is connected to:" it's set to Automatic...but, the internet, also works.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 24 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #19

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

On my i-mate, the cab file sets it up this way:
Internet Connection: Cingular Internet
WAP Connection: Cingular Internet
Secure WAP Connection: Cingular MMS

All these default settings from the cab file work perfectly with my i-mate.

Omega, you said "Next I went to Connections and changed Internet Connection to Pass Thru..." This is not an option on my phone. The choices are Automatic, Cingular Internet, and CurrentDTPNetwork. I left it on Automatic.

These settings (your suggestions) work the same as above (perfect):

For both sets of settings, I had ActiveSync still set to "this computer is connected to:" Automatic (from when I was working on the 220) and it works fine. It also works when set to "the Internet".

--------------------

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 24 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

For the phone to switch from GPRS and Pass thru the settings on the phone have to be set to Automatic or, leave it a Cingular GPRS and manually go to connections on the phone while connected to AS and change to pass thru, when you disconnect from AS it should go back to Cinuglar GPRS. As for the settings on AS on the computer, when Connection settings on the phone is set to Automatic you can have the Connect to in AS on the computer set to Automatic or The Internet, but when you set it manually on the phone to Pass Thru you have to tell activesync to use The Internet NOT Automatic. Lol it is confusing but glad its all figured out.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:47 AM