post Feb 14 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #1

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

So my T-Mobile MDA is showing signs of the abuse I have dished out and I am starting to look for its replacement. I have ordered a replacement body for it which will hopefully hold off the absolute need to replace it for a few more months so I have some time to shop around. Unfortunately there isn't much to shop for right now that meets my requirements. Ha anyone seen or heard of a device coming this year that has:

1) Pocket PC form factor (HTC Wizard and Hermes style)
2) Slide out qwerty keyboard (HTC Wizard and Hermes style)
3) GPS (SiRF III)
4) WiFi (802.11b/g)
5) Bluetooth 2.0
6) Expansion Slot (MiniSD)
7) 2 Mega pixel camera

So, what do you guys know about such a device? Preferably one fast enough to run Skype without overclocking.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Feb 14 2007, 05:24 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

Sounds a bit like the Apple iPhone, if you can deal with the non-keyboard keyboard.

Or maybe the HTC Advantage.

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 14 2007, 05:30 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Requirements 2 & 3 are the ones that make this device not possible. I don't know of any devices coming soon that have built-in GPS and a qwerty keyboard. The HTC P3300 comes pretty close, but doesn't have the QWERTY. Without the GPS being built-in there are a lot of options available. It'd be nice to have it built-in though, I agree with you there.

Edit-Just read Undude's post. Looks like the Advantage had all your requirements, but is going to be a huge device. I don't even know if it has the speaker/mic built in to hold it up to your head if you ever wanted to. I think it'd look awfully ridiculous if you did.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Feb 14 2007, 05:33 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600

try this: http://www.seehtc.com/

"The first HTC Advantage devices are available from the beginning of April 2007, but demand is likely to be high..., so register your interest now to make sure you're not left disappointed!"

By registering your interest early, HTC and our chosen retail partner in your country can contact you via email first so you can secure a HTC Advantage before anyone else.

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Feb 14 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator

Actually it looks like the M700 fits the bill perfectly. The only thing is finding someone that will actually sell and ship it. Anyone know of a vendor selling these things now?

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 14 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

It looks like there are a few on ebay. Convergent Technology has them. I ordered an Eten P300 from them a long time ago, and got good service. I was satisfied with my purchase from there.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Feb 14 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Site Administrator

Ouch! $639???? Is there anything close coming down the pipeline? I also see a forum post on Cool SmartPhone of a guy with one and he claims to repeatedly reset it. Not the experience I am looking for.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Feb 17 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #8

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 9,763
Phone: Cingular 8125

you can awaze wait til WM6 i bet there b a huge batch of new phones that fit the build

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Mar 2 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #9

Site Administrator

Oh baby HTC is going to come through for old Slack. Check this baby out!

Attached Image

Its basically the TyTN with a SiRF III chipset and WM6!

Read more...

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
abatis
post Mar 2 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #10

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

The TyTN has some very nice specs. The 2.8MP camera is not bad either.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Mar 2 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #11

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

If Cingular picks this one up, I will be getting it when I get back from Iraq late this year or early next. Pretty much meets everything I am going to be looking for in my next device. I just wish they would have something like that in a smartphone version.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Mar 4 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #12

Site Administrator

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Mar 2 2007, 03:19 PM) *
If Cingular picks this one up, I will be getting it when I get back from Iraq late this year or early next. Pretty much meets everything I am going to be looking for in my next device. I just wish they would have something like that in a smartphone version.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Attached Image

Read more on the HTC Erato

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Mar 5 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #13

Site Administrator
Group Icon

MAN OH MAN OH MAN! This has to be the Mecca of smartphones I have seen to come!!! Only one possible concern right off the bat would be of course battery life, the battery looks kinda weak for what this little thing packs. I still may go with the PPC that you listed though due to the fact I will have a VERY packed schedule that I would like to keep organized on the fly and a KB would help nicely with that. This is impressive though

CODE
Release Date: April, 2007  
Predecessor Model: Dopod 710 / StrTrk S300  
Dimensions: 97.5 x 52 x 16.8 millimetres  
Mass: 99 grams (battery included)
Software Environment
Operating System: Windows Mobile 6 Standard  
Microprocessor
CPU: 32bit Samsung SC32442  
CPU Clock: 400 MHz
Memory, Storage capacity
ROM capacity: 128 MB
RAM capacity: 64 MB
Hard Disk capacity: Not supported
Display
Display Type: color transflective TFT , 65536 scales
Display Resolution: 240 x 320
Display Diagonal: 2.4 "  
Secondary Display Type: color transflective TFT , 65536 scales
Secondary Display Resolution: 128 x 128
Secondary Display Diagonal: 1.2 "
Sound
Microphone: mono  
Speaker: mono  
Audio Output: Proprietary jack
Cellular Phone
Cellular Networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850, UMTS1900, UMTS2100  
Cellular Data Standards: CSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA  
Call Alert: 40 -chord melody
Vibrating Alert: Supported  
Control Peripherals
Positioning Device: Not supported
Keyboard: Built-in numeric phone keyboard, 12 keys
Directional Pad: 5 -way block
Jog / Scroll Wheel: Not supported
Interfaces
Expansion Slots: SDIO, microSD, TransFlash  
Serial: RS-232 , 115200bit/s
USB: USB 1.1 client, 12Mbit/s , Proprietary connector
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0  
Wireless LAN: Not supported
Multimedia Telecommunication
Analog TV: Not supported
Analog Radio: FM radio reciever
Satellite Navigation
Built-in GPS: SiRF Star III , 20 channels
Built-in Digital Camera
Main Camera: CMOS sensor, 1.9MP
Built-in Flash: Not supported
Secondary Camera: CMOS sensor, 640x480 pixel
Power Supply
Battery: Lithium-ion , removable
Battery Capacity: 960 mAh

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 5 2007, 09:31 PM
Post #14

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Mar 2 2007, 12:19 PM) *
I just wish they would have something like that in a smartphone version.
QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Mar 4 2007, 05:19 PM) *
I still may go with the PPC that you listed though due to the fact I will have a VERY packed schedule that I would like to keep organized on the fly and a KB would help nicely with that.

Ask and ye shall receive! Here's the Smartphone version...

Attached Image

Read more about the HTC Wings.

Side by side comparison between Erato & Wings.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Mar 5 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #15

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Un-freaking-believable!!! I wish I had more time to look into these things like I used to. There are some amazing devices on the horizon. Now here is hoping to the fact that Cingular will pick these beauties up before 08.

This phone is absolutely perfect for what my needs will be upon return from Iraq. Yes, normally I am a flipper kind of guy, but I need something with a quicker method of input, and I strongly prefer the Smartphone over the PPC (mainly because of custom-ability, I am more familiar with the ins and outs, and all the money I have invested into third party software for the SP platform). This phone does seem to have it all. Thank you all very much for the link. Looks like this thread helped more than one of us find their next device(s), or at least broadened the options...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 5 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #16

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I'd have to say the HTC Vox was very much on my radar for the last few months due to the bigger screen, more memory, better camera, updated OS AND still has built-in WIFI (which I am very much addicted to wink.gif and is hard to come by in a device sporting the SmartPhone (Standard) OS) but a couple weeks ago Wings caught my eye.

At the same time, I've been waiting to see what the new HTC flipper was going to bring to the table. Erato and Wings are essentially the same phone (specs), except that Erato doesn't have WIFI (and Wings doesn't have FM radio built in...which seems odd since that config would differ from most the other HTC lineup that features built-in GPS etc.). sad.gif I prefer flippers too and was really hoping for Erato that they'd throw in the kitchen sink (WIFI) while they were at it, but it looks like Wings for me...for now.

Except...now that I've been to the site Slacker pointed to here, I'm now a bit smitten with the I-Mate Ultimate 8150. It's missing built-in GPS though. But, I like that it's a PPC (Professional) without a QWERTY (which I don't need) BUT does have a full number keypad on the front like a SmartPhone (Standard) which I find extremely useful. I wonder if the issue of Bluetooth turning itself off has been fixed in the new PPC wm6 OS? That is probably THE reason I'll stick with Wings, unless and until I'm clear on that BUG.

What's really cool is the lines between SmartPhone (Standard) and PPC (Professional) get a tad more blurred with these new devices on their way.

What I've discovered about myself is I'm fickle and my affection for one device can be swayed very easily by the next shiny object I lay my eyes upon. laugh.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
hsolo
post Mar 6 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,111
Phone: Cingular 8525
PocketPC: Dell

WOW! That is impressive! The HTC Wings (providing Cingular get it) will definately be my next device. Slide-out KB, Bluetooth 2.0, USB 2.0, all on a Standard (Smartphone) platform.....what more could I ask for!

If Cingular DO pick this up, what are the chances of them crippling the Wi-Fi like they did with the 2125? Or will they let it go to T-Mobile because Cingular doesn't seem to want Wi-Fi on a Smartphone?

My bigger question is the 5-way Block Directional Pad listed in the specs......where is that? I can't see any Directional Pad (unless it is somehow incorporated into the number pad).

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 6 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #18

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

If Wings ever hits the streets, it will be available to you even if Cingular (or, T-mo) doesn't pick it up. You just wouldn't get it discounted in exchange for selling your soul - umm, I mean for signing up for two more years of service. wink.gif They'll be available through other channels as well as on eBay (no doubt). It will also have WIFI for sure that way - as long as that's really part of the final specs. The above info is still speculative info garnered from leaked information.

Regarding the d-pad (lack of), check out below to see the evolution of the Vox and leaked images of it on the net. The screen captures got pasted on by someone somewhere along the way. As you can see it started out looking like a Smartphone without a d-pad. Then it evolved into a PPC (according to the screen image) then went back to a Smartphone w/UMTS but still without a d-pad. When it was finally revealed in it's final form it is indeed a Smartphone WITH a d-pad that tops out at EDGE speed. There's been no word from T-Mo or Cingular that they'll have this phone, but the official HTC Europe site says Vox will be available in Europe from April 2007. At that point they'll be available to all...for a price (that might involve pledging your first born)! laugh.gif

If Wings does eventually prove to be a Smartphone, I'd expect to see a d-pad that looks similar in style to the rest of HTC's line-up. Notice how the Vox d-pad looks just like the S620 (Excalibur/T-Mo Dash), the upcoming S650 (Cavalier), and the S310 (Oxygen).

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Mar 6 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #19

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Attached Image
hsolo's post made me think of something I wanted to know about the specs for Wings so I went to the site listed above and there's a new image today - that shows the d-pad! One more example of "ask and ye shall receive"! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Mar 7 2007, 03:23 AM
Post #20

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Given the specs, that will be my next device one way or another, until something comes out to top it (which wouldn't suprise me, but would all at the same time).

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 08:39 AM