IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Review :: Nextlink Bluespoon AX2 Bluetooth Headset, Rating 4.5 out of 5
smeg36

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045

(IMG:http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/uploads//post-2-1140661257.jpg)

Bluespoon AX2 Bluetooth Headset
By Nextlink
MGN Rating - (IMG:http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/modules/Reviews/images/blue.gif) (IMG:http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/modules/Reviews/images/blue.gif) (IMG:http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/modules/Reviews/images/blue.gif) (IMG:http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/modules/Reviews/images/blue.gif) (IMG:http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/modules/Reviews/images/bluehalf.gif)

Rating Legend

1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by Smeg36
Review Date / October 13th, 2005

If you already read my Bluespoon 5G review, you would know I love the Nextlink Bluespoon line of headsets, including the AX. I used, and loved, the AX for a while. There were only a few minor flaws to it; slightly clunky design (the multifunction button would clank around), not the greatest battery life, and average range. So Nextlink, in their infinite innovation, designed the AX2. Everything about it looks like the original AX. To an unknowing consumer, they would be the exact same headset. The build and features is where the AX2 differs from the original AX.

Attached File  IMG_0898.jpg ( 52.9K ) Number of downloads: 398

Nextlink took their already great headset, and fixed every problem I ever read anyone having with the AX. The multifunction button is now solid and secure. There is no clunkiness to this headset. It is solid as a rock that has lots of little electronic bits inside.

Attached File  IMG_0860.JPG ( 89.36K ) Number of downloads: 412

Another complaint with the original AX that I both read about, as well as had first hand experience with, was a brittle casing. A drop even from your desk to the floor could chip the AX casing. Well, for the greater good I performed several drop tests on the AX2. The casing must be a different composition because it stood up to my drops without a scratch.

Attached File  IMG_0897.jpg ( 64.17K ) Number of downloads: 417

One of the things Nextlink definitely got right with the AX2 is battery life. The spec sheet they sent me with the AX2 indicates and estimated battery life of 8 hours of talk time, and 500-1500 hours of standby time from a single 2 hour charge. While I didn’t perform any scientific formulated tests, I was able to use it for a week and a half between charges. I make at least ½ hour of calls a day, and turn my headset off when not in use. I was very impressed, to say the least, with the battery life.

Attached File  IMG_0856.JPG ( 51.36K ) Number of downloads: 445

Another great improvement of the AX2 is the range. The spec sheet rates the range at 10-15 meters. I think that is an understatement, but didn’t do any rigorous testing to prove it. The AX got average range with most devices I used it with. With my Samsung i730 it got horrible range, which should be blamed more on the i730’s Bluetooth than the AX. I couldn’t even turn my head without getting static. With the AX2, I can go anywhere in my apartment and still get a clear signal. The range is amazing. I can run into the gas station and leave my phone in the car, and still pick up clear calls. Even walls can’t stop the AX2. It can leap a building in a single bound! Well, I guess not that far, but it is pretty great.

Attached File  IMG_0857.JPG ( 55.27K ) Number of downloads: 449

A new feature added to the AX2 over the AX is the inclusion of Bluetooth V1.2. The AX is only V1.1. V1.2 is compatible with V1.1, but also has many added features when used with a V1.2 phone. Sadly, all my devices are still V1.1 (come on USA, get with the times!), so I wasn’t able to test out any of the additional V1.2 features.

Attached File  IMG_0866.JPG ( 52.19K ) Number of downloads: 382

As with the AX, the AX2 uses Nextlink’s soft spring to hold the headset in the ear. I can’t stress enough how much I love the soft spring. It is by far the most comfortable way to hold a headset in the ear. No hooks, no disproportionate weight distribution, no nothing. It is just comfortable. I often forget I have it on. Its light weight and small size, combined with the soft spring, makes the AX2 one of the most comfortable headsets out there.

Attached File  IMG_0865.JPG ( 62.71K ) Number of downloads: 404

The AX2 is charged using an included USB to 4-pin miniUSB cable. The battery is user replaceable, so you can get a spare if the 8 hours of talk time isn’t enough for you (although I can’t imagine that ever happening). This also means that when the rechargeable battery no longer holds a charge, it will be simple and easy to replace.

Attached File  IMG_0863.JPG ( 63.52K ) Number of downloads: 396

As with all Nextlink Headsets, the AX2 comes very professionally packaged. It comes in an easy to open blister pack with the headset, USB/miniUSB cable, 2 different sized soft springs, the AX2 user’s guide, AX2 quick start guide, and a lanyard that can plug into the miniUSB port of the headset to wear around the neck.

Attached File  IMG_0858.JPG ( 59.27K ) Number of downloads: 412

I have one, and only one, complaint with the AX2. And my complaint is actually a result of one of my favorite features of Nextlink headsets. I really like the loud volume Nextlink gives their headsets. I have slightly bad hearing, and think the louder a headset is the better. The AX2 can go pretty loud. I really like that. The person calling me doesn’t feel the same way. While the call is crystal clear and super loud on my end, the caller can head an echo of themselves. I have found that if I turn the headset down 2-3 notches from max, the echo goes away completely. I can still hear the caller no problems at 2-3 notches below max, and the caller no longer had any echo, so it all works in the end. However, I am always tempted to turn the volume up to max just because I know it can go louder.

Attached File  IMG_0862.JPG ( 53.88K ) Number of downloads: 404

One other complaint that some may have, but I don’t, is the touchy mic on the AX2. I only use my headset while in my car with all windows up or at home. I don’t really use it outside or in busy environments. I have noticed while walking from the car that any slight gust of wind gets amplified like crazy. Even a little wind will render talking unhearable. You have to balance the features you want in a headset I guess. In order to pick up your voice at all with such a small headset, the mic must be amplified. The drawback to this is it doesn’t discern between your voice and someone else’s near you. As I said, this isn’t really a complaint of mine, but some people may be bothered by it.

Attached File  IMG_0899.jpg ( 51.07K ) Number of downloads: 389

Overall, I think Nextlink has hit another home run. They continue to impress with each new release, and the AX2 is no exception. Its small size, enhanced features, amazing battery life, and unheard of range make the AX2 my headset of choice. At least until Nextlink release a new one! There are a couple minor glitches, but they really don’t dissuade me from recommending the AX2 to almost everyone. Those who drive convertibles or work outdoors may want to look elsewhere, but for everyone else the Nextlink Bluespoon AX2 has an expected release of mid-late October.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- smeg36   Review :: Nextlink Bluespoon AX2 Bluetooth Headset  
- - FiReBReTHa   I have the same issue with my moto HS850, if the v...  
- - Gunr   I just picked one of these up today, have not used...  
- - smeg36   I just noticed yesterday that Radio Shack has them...  
|- - Gunr   QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 11 2005, 12:03 AM)I just ...  
- - smeg36   Well, that is usefull. Nextlink is great. They a...  
- - Ukyo   Mine has the "clunkiness" though... the ...  
- - smeg36   I responded to your post here already. I would sa...  
- - Rebecca   I bought an AX2 in Radio Shack and when shaken it ...  
- - smeg36   Well, I haven't tried the retail Radio Shack h...  
|- - Rebecca   I contacted support@bluespoons.com and they never ...  
- - smeg36   One thing you can try to help improve range is pai...  
|- - Sean   QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 28 2005, 12:02 PM)One thi...  
|- - Rebecca   QUOTE (Sean @ Nov 28 2005, 12:05 PM)Interesti...  
- - fzara2000a   I also got the headset from Radio Shack. Have ex...  
- - smeg36   Some phones and headsets just don't like to pl...  
|- - fzara2000a   Smeg: Is there another small headset you recommen...  
- - smeg36   You could try out the Plantronics 640. It isn...  
|- - XP2005   QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 29 2005, 08:43 AM)You cou...  
- - Ukyo   Ok I just got off the phone w/ the rudest customer...  
|- - fzara2000a   QUOTE (Ukyo @ Nov 30 2005, 10:37 PM)Ok I just...  
- - smeg36   Yeah, it should turn off when fully charged. I wo...  
|- - XP2005   QUOTE (smeg36 @ Dec 25 2005, 12:27 PM)Yeah, i...  
- - smeg36   When you tried to turn it on did you hear the powe...  
|- - XP2005   QUOTE (smeg36 @ Dec 25 2005, 01:58 PM)When yo...  
- - smeg36   Glad you got it working. Does your RadioShack ver...  
- - XP2005   Just a little bit. I hear the rattling noise when...  
- - momzluv   I had a very interesting experience with this devi...  
- - mdahacks.com   http://www.mdahacks.com/item/2006/5/16/nex...-head...  
- - smeg36   Yeah, the AX2 is a great headset at a great price....  
- - mdahacks.com   QUOTE (smeg36 @ May 17 2006, 09:50 PM) Ye...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: