IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tutorial: Switching to T-Mobile after buying from Amazon
Thor

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 328

v1.25 (3 changes)

Admins, please make this a sticky as a lot of people come here looking for this information.
I will try to keep this updated as long as this is a sticky so the information can be a valuable
resource for those looking to switch.

(Thanks guys)

Switching to T-Mobile after ordering an mpx200 from Amazon:
1. Order the phone with plan and contract from Amazon. (Doesn’t matter which plan unless
you plan on keeping the account after switching). Do not try to take advantage of the rebates
as they require you to stay with AT&T and have a service contract with AT&T.
2. When you receive the phone, you will be in one of two situations:
a. Your phone is activated as soon as you turn it on.
b. Your phone is not activated yet and does not have a number attached to it yet. If this
is your situation you'll need to hold off canceling AT&T service until it does become active.
However, this does not mean you can't switch to T-Mobile right away...it just means you have to
keep an eye on when the account actually becomes active. The best way to tell is when you get the
email from Amazon telling you what your phone number is. As soon as you get this number you can
proceed with step 5 below (after you've followed the other steps first of course).
3a. Put down your phone and go to a T-Mobile store and sign up for whatever plan you want to get
with them. Get one of their free or nearly free phones and get it activated so you can make calls
from the phone.
3b. If you want to get the unlimited data plan there is one thing you must be careful about. If you
get signed up as a "SmartAccess" customer the unlimited data plan is not available to you as they
do not allow their credit-risk customers to get it for some idiotic reason (this is the reason I
went back to AT&T). You may get lucky but even threatening to leave T-Mobile will not get them to
add it on. It is apparently something that even managers cannot force.
4. Email jhongsunlock@yahoo.ca and ask about getting your unlock code, he will tell you how to
give him the correct information in order to get the unlock code. As far as I know his charge is
still $10 to get the unlock code. Unlocking the phone requires that you have a T-mobile sim (or
a sim from another carrier other than AT&T) so you must complete step 3b in order to unlock it,
unless you have a different carrier's sim already of course. After unlocking it your phone will be
active on the new carrier's network as long as you have service setup.
5. Assuming you are happy with the new service on the T-mobile network (or whichever carrier you
decided to go with), put the AT&T sim back into the mpx200 and call AT&T Customer Care by dialing
611. Request to have the service on the phone cancelled and tell exactly what you are intending to.
If they give you any crap about returning the phone tell them you paid full price through Amazon
so you are not required to return it as you own the phone outright. If they tell you that you will
not be able to switch the phone to the other network just inform them that it is unlocked and is
free to be put on whatever network you want. After getting done with the service rep verify that
your service has been cancelled by checking the phone. The phone should become inactive and it
should read no service. You will receive a bill if you used the account at all before canceling.
These are the only charges you will be billed with as long as you cancel within the first 30 days
after activation of the AT&T account (when you get your phone number). If you get charged with
anything else you either did something wrong or it's time to complain to AT&T to get the charge
removed because of their mistake. To clarify: If you cancel within thirty days you will not get charged the montly fee for your plan, the fee for your internet plan, the activation fee, or any other initial setup or monthly fee....THE ONLY THING THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IS ANY ACTUAL USAGE OF THE PHONE ON THEIR NETWORK. ie if you made 6 calls, sent 6 text messages, and surfed the internet a few times....that is all you will have to pay for...and that is a pro-rated amount...so it's not the full price of the service plan.

At this point you are free to use it on the T-mobile network (or whatever network you chose). You
will still need to configure the phone for the internet access on the new network, but I will not
cover that now as that is outside the scope of this tutorial.

If anyone has any questions or comments please post a reply to this and I will try to answer them
as best as I can. I will make any needed changes or additions if they are needed. Any changes made
will be put in as bold so it will clarify things if they are incorrect.

Edit: The deal with how you can get that $269 price through Amazon and still be able to keep the phone...

Basically Amazon only requires that you purchase the phone with a service plan (the monthly bill plan)(you don't even have to get buy it with a service contract). If you buy it with a service plan you get the $269 price....it does not matter if you cancel as soon as you get the phone activated on the AT&T network, you can still keep the phone.

To get either of the rebates though you have to sign a service contract with AT&T otherwise you cannot get the rebates. This means basically if you plan on switching within the first 30 days of AT&T service, you cannot get either of the rebates that amazon lists on the page for the mpx200.

UPDATE 1/4/2004: Amazon has raised the price of the mpx200. It is now $269 without rebates. Also the AT&T rebated can no longer be used as of 1/3/04 as that's when it expired. You can still send in the rebate as long as you bought it before 1/3/04.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Thor   Tutorial: Switching to T-Mobile after buying from Amazon  
- - mbhelfman   Thor, great post, an addition to: 1) Sign up for ...  
- - Anonymous   Is the activation fee refunded if you cancel withi...  
- - Anonymous   I think you may get a bill from Amazon on the phon...  
- - Anonymous   Amazon's rebate form says in order to get the $120...  
- - Anonymous   Amazon's full price for the phone without the serv...  
- - Anonymous   I'm not sure I understand: Amazon charges $169.99,...  
- - Anonymous   This sounds good, but I have two questions: 1. Ca...  
- - Anonymous   QUOTE I'm not sure I understand: Amazon charges $1...  
- - Thor   I don't think everyone read all the way through......  
- - Thor   QUOTE I think you may get a bill from Amazon on th...  
- - Thor   QUOTE I'm not sure I understand: Amazon charges $1...  
- - Thor   QUOTE This sounds good, but I have two questions: ...  
- - lmarquina   What about wait until t-mobil come out with its mp...  
- - Haddy   One question....How do I buy from them if I live i...  
- - Anonymous   QUOTE One question....How do I buy from them if I ...  
- - Thor   ok...that's the first time I posted as a guest...I...  
- - Thor   QUOTE What about wait until t-mobil come out with ...  
- - vballhjs   QUOTE What about wait until t-mobil come out with ...  
- - Corbett   great  
- - Corbett   Insurance  
- - Thor   I don't think they would do that Corbett. Since yo...  
- - Anonymous   Is there anyother place can I unlock my phone? JE...  
- - deavod   QUOTE Is there anyother place can I unlock my phon...  
- - vballhjs   unlock it now also says not until Jan 12th.. see m...  
- - supersha   just a thought - why even bother telling ATT what ...  
- - Thor   QUOTE just a thought - why even bother telling ATT...  
- - vballhjs   just ordered off of amazon WOOT! .. quick questi...  
- - Anonymous   QUOTE just ordered off of amazon WOOT!  .. q...  
- - Thor   QUOTE QUOTE just ordered off of amazon WOOT! ...  
- - Interblat   Okay, I have an unlock code and I'm free of AT...  
- - Anonymous   Phone price just jumped on Amazon - its now $269.9...  
- - Anonymous   Where is the phone $399 on Amazon? Can anyone post...  
- - Thor   QUOTE Phone price just jumped on Amazon - its now ...  
- - Sean   The links I could post will be invalid once my coo...  
- - jas1442   yes...i have tmobiles data connection and just got...  
- - Anonymous   Hi there, I'm planning to get one from amazon, a...  
- - Thor   QUOTE Hi there, I'm planning to get one from ama...  
- - mjoshi   Hello to All, New to this forum and this is my fi...  
- - mjoshi   you can also get Mpx200 for 9.99 USD from http://w...  
- - Anonymous   ATTN: MJOSHI  
- - stan   Amazon never created my account  
- - Thor   Re: Amazon never created my account  
- - reydiodj   FYI: Click here for the T-Mobile forums Click her...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: