Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mpx200 on Cingular network??
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Wireless Carriers > AT&T/Cingular Wireless
kpax
Has anyone been successfull using the mpx200 on Cingular's network? I know alot of cingular's areas are 850 band but most major cities are 1900 plus they share tmobile and attws networks. I'm thinking about trying it in the Atlanta area to see how it works.
HerrYunta
And if anyone is using the GPRS on Cingular, please post your settings.
TsarChasm
Data Prices for Cingular (for those of us still stuck on AT&T
Package Price $0.00 $6.99 $14.99 $24.99 $34.99 $54.99 $74.99
Included MB 0 MB 1 MB 5 MB 10 MB 20 MB 40 MB Unlimited
Overage Rate per KB $0.01* $0.0097 $0.0048 $0.0039 $0.0029 $0.0024 N/A
HerrYunta
I am currently using the pay as you go data plan $0.005/KB. I will upgrade soon.
kpax
I finally got the scope on why some Cingular users are not able to get service with the mpx200. If the preferred network in your home area is the 850 band, you cant roam to the 1900 band in your home area. Cingular does have a roaming agreement with Tmobile so if you were to travel out of your home area you could connect to the 1900 band. Most of Cingulars network is the 850 band, only some west coast and extreme east coast are the 1900 band. Damn intelligent roaming!!! So, I guess I'll have to stick with Tmobile as long as I'm in Atlanta...

One thing to note. The maps at cingular.com show a lot of areas with 1900 coverage. The maps are old and when cingular first started deploying GSM the 1900mhz areas are actually tmobile and are now cingualrs 850. FYI. All of this info is coming from a local cingular tech in atlanta.
bando
I live in San Diego, CA & Cingular coverage seems to be good in most places (patchy in others) via the 1900 band. Their data rates are a rip off, so steer clear and go with T-Mobile.
Anonymous
I am in St. Louis and it works perfectly, but when I leave my home area, it will not roam to T-mobile/ATT 1900mhz. Tried to register my IMEI and cingular said not in system, plus in near future they would be doing a "lock-out" that will cause non-cingular branded phones to quit working. Is that possible?
HerrYunta
I am not following you. It works on Cingular in St. Louis but it will not register on Cingular--where? Not being able to roam on other networks may or may not be a problem with your phone.
Anonymous
Mine works in St. Louis perfectly, but as I get past Warrenton I lose complete coverage all the way through Jeff City. I then pick up coverage at Lake of the Ozarks. I would think 1900mhz would roam over to T-mobile or ATT when it loses Cingular, but it doesn't.
Anonymous
Update: I was able to get a new Sim card and it now shows not only Cingular as a network to select, but TMobile and ATT. My problems appear to have been sim related here in STL.
hoosierdadi
I'd like to hear more info about the sim switch- is it possible that your new sim was never able to recieve Cingulars IRDB list (the list that tells the phone what towers to use)?

I have similar issues with my mpx200, and I'm located just between KC and St Louis. My phone works here in my home area using t-mobile, however in Columbia,MO I have No Service. I would get a new sim card, but I worry that if the sim doesn't recieve the IRDB list, I may get charged roaming for using the t-mobile towers that cingular is locking out- any thoughts?

For now I carry an extra phone in the car for when I'm out of town. I can use a cingular dual band gsm phone in my house b/c it switches from tmob and cing and drops my calls every min or so.

Also anyone figure out how to get WAP or WIX (GPRS, wireless internet express) to work on an mpx200 with cingular service? I figure its probably impossible since I'm actually using T-mobile towers. I would just switch to T-mobile- but I've got a sweet deal with cingular:

1000daytime/1000night and weekend, free txt msg, wireless internet, and all std features $20 per month smile.gif
hoosierdadi
-forget to mention-

YES cingular is beginning to require IMEI verification to lock out phones that shouldn't be allowed in a given home area. However, I'm not sure if this will apply to those of us who activated an actual cingular phone, and pulled the sim out to use in another phone. I don't think that cingular can view the imei of a phone on the network, from what I understand only the sim card is important. Anyone else have info on this?
Abihsot
I bought an ATT phone and I got the unlock code from gsmsoftware.com and was able to unlock the phone and use my Cingular SIM with no problems. I first I was going to go with ATT, but their service sux where I live. I have bought a phone for $280 on ebay and when I get that one I'll unlock it and return the ATT phone.
Neilster1
I use a MPx200 in Atlanta... works great!

I had activated a cingular phone first, then moved the sim. I seem to be connected to ATTWS towers here... tried tmobile, but never works.

I have GPRS working as well... email me if you need any help. neil.derryberry@gmail.com
Volrath2099
Here are my Data Connection settings:

Internext connection: Automatic
Work connection: None Available
WAP connection: Automatic
Secure WAP connection: None Available

Dial-up Connections
-none

VPN Connections
-none

Proxy Connections
-----------------------
Name: Cingular Proxy
Connects from : The Internest
Connects to : WAP Network
Proxy (name:port) : 66.209.11.61:80
Type : HTTP
User name:
Password:

GPRS Connecitions
------------------------
Name : Cingular GPRS
Connects to : The Internet
Access point : ISP.CINGULAR
User name : WIXDC001@W5.MYCINGULAR.COM
Password : ZXY203DC9K0402
Primary DNS : 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS : 0.0.0.0

Name : Cingular WAP
Connects to : The Internet
Access point : WAP.CINGULAR
User name : WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password : CINGULAR1
Primary DNS : 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS : 0.0.0.0

Internet Explorer's connection is set to Automatically detect settings and set to use the Internet.

Thanks to Akutz for posting this up in the other forum - I have a tricker situation.
I had used these settings on my phone before and it worked perfectly. Then i hard-reset the phone and i put these settings in again and i dont get internet =(. It may be because i told them to change the IMEI # of my old Phone (V220) to my new phone (MPx200). They rambled for a while about the phone is incompatible and you cant use it to make calls and nonsense... When clearly i was talking to the girl via the MPx200... So they try to make your life impossible. Im going to tell them to switch the IMEI #'s back to the V220 to see if my wireless internet works on my MPx200... it would be a shame if i couldnt =( Pocket IE looked so wonderful when in use =')... Pz and i hope it answered a few peeps questions.
todd5433
I have a cingular nationwide plan that I activated with one of their phones in Amarillo, TX. This is an 850mzh market. Took the sim card out and put it in my MPX200. It says t-mobile for the network (1900mhz) and has a upward pointing arrow. I have to dial local numbers with the area code to place calls, but it works fine. I have had a few dropped calls. But my calls still find me and I have pretty good quality. I can't get my data connections to work. I have the G but am wondering if the T-Mobile network won't let me get to the cingular data connections - any thoughts?

Thanks
Todd
GrYph0n
QUOTE (todd5433 @ Apr 29 2005, 01:08 PM)
I can't get my data connections to work. I have the G but am wondering if the T-Mobile network won't let me get to the cingular data connections - any thoughts?

Thanks
Todd

That is a little odd, but not suprising. I use T-Mobile, but occassionally I roam on Cingular on road trips and have no problem using all services including data. However when I roam on an AT&T Network, the only thing that I can use is voice. Maybe Cingular doesn't work in reverse with T-Mobile with data. Keep in mind that T-Mobile is the most liberal provider out there when it comes to data and the "rules" that go along with the plans. Not a solution, but just a thought...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.