Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car GPS Units
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Other Stuff > Off-Topic Everything Else
ZeroCool
I'm looking into getting one and I have no idea where to really start. Any info would be much appreciated, or at least a direction to go in, after market, in dash, pda... thanks in advance
GrYph0n
QUOTE (ZeroCool @ Aug 14 2005, 06:22 PM)
I'm looking into getting one and I have no idea where to really start.  Any info would be much appreciated, or at least a direction to go in, after market, in dash, pda...  thanks in advance

What kind of phone do you have, and we should be able to get you a solution with $100 for the software and $100ish for a BT to possibly work with your phone/pda
Slacker

I have a Garmin 2610. Excellent unit. It is flash (not hard drive) based so vibration isn't an issue which is great for use on my motorcycle. Turn-by-turn directions and rerouting on the fly, find stuff around your current location, etc, etc. New map updates every 12 months to include new points of interest. And the entire map set will fit on a 2GB CF card. Highly recommended.

Garmin 2610
ZeroCool
Gryphon, I've got an mpx220, but i feel like the display would be way to small for me to use while driving. That model looks pretty cool slacker, did some shopping last night and took a look at the garmin and tom tom units, both pretty slick looking. Where does that mount on your motorcycle? Thanks for the help
Slacker
Check out Cycle Gadgets. I am using their Ram Mount for the 2610 and it works GREAT. I can plot a route on the computer and dump it on the GPS, then just follow the route. Great for leading group rides where a route is specified and given to us before hand. Of course you can let the GPS determine the route as well, but most of the time on the bike I have paper directions I am supposed to lead the group on.

Highly recommended GPS.
ZeroCool
thanks for the help slacker, I've wanted a GPS unit for ages and feel that now that they're pretty affordable I should treat myself
abatis
I am looking at the TOMTOM 700 for my wife. It also have built in BLueTooth and will let you use your phone through the unit speaker and mic.
Slacker
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 18 2005, 06:25 AM)
Check out Cycle Gadgets. I am using their Ram Mount for the 2610 and it works GREAT. I can plot a route on the computer and dump it on the GPS, then just follow the route. Great for leading group rides where a route is specified and given to us before hand. Of course you can let the GPS determine the route as well, but most of the time on the bike I have paper directions I am supposed to lead the group on.

Highly recommended GPS.

you might want to also check out their newest (and more expensive) model, the StreetPilot 2720 which can be had for $819.95 from GPSNow. The newer unit offers what I believe is a very cool (and useful) feature which is a quasi three dimentional view. Check that one out before you buy.
ZeroCool
QUOTE (abatis @ Aug 22 2005, 12:56 PM)
I am looking at the TOMTOM 700 for my wife. It also have built in BLueTooth and will let you use your phone through the unit speaker and mic.

so it basically works like a carphone?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.