Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frequency Trouble!
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Microsoft SmartPhones > HTC Typhoon & Feeler
slyman103
Hi all!!

I just got a SMT5600 and sent to my brother in the Middle-East. And I just realized that the network in that country is 900Mhz where as the operating frequencies for the SMT5600 are only 850,1800. 1900 MHz.
Isi it possible to change or add on a frequency of 900MHZ, so that it may be compatible with the network there.
Any help and feedback in this matter will be gretly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
smeg36
I'm pretty sure there is no way to get the 900Mhz band on the SMT5600. You could try finding and flashing an Orange SPV C500 ROM on the SMT5600. They are essentially the same phone, except the C500 has the 900Mhz band. If you flashed its ROM to the SMT, the software would then have the 900Mhz band. But I'm fairly certain the hardware of the phone wouldn't support the software, and he still wouldn't be able to use it.
fun4runner
QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 24 2005, 11:00 PM)
I'm pretty sure there is no way to get the 900Mhz band on the SMT5600.  You could try finding and flashing an Orange SPV C500 ROM on the SMT5600.  They are essentially the same phone, except the C500 has the 900Mhz band.  If you flashed its ROM to the SMT, the software would then have the 900Mhz band.  But I'm fairly certain the hardware of the phone wouldn't support the software, and he still wouldn't be able to use it.

Completely not possible, it is hardware. I had to sell the phone and buy the other model.
abatis
Sorry to tell you guys but you are completely wrong about the SMT5600 or equivalent. Indeed the band is software controlled. I have worked with Euro friends and we have changed the band on the SMT5600 ROM either loading a Euro ROM like this one : ORANGE ROM-900 band or if you want the SMT5600 ROM with the WMP10 you will need a friend to donate the 900 GSM and use this approach: SMT5600/C500 ROM/GSM CHnage.

I have done this and know it works. In fact many have forged a number of hybrid ROMs and GSM bands. They have been tested in Europe.

If you have a card reader and a MiniSD the mobi approach is not hard.
GrYph0n
Now that is something I will need to look into before my travels take me to the big sand box over there next year. This will keep me from having to get a totally new phone to take over where it could get messed up. By then I will prob have a newer one anyway, but who wants to put their main phone through that kind of trouble.
NoNafs
Slyman, did the fix work for you??
gsmnutt
QUOTE (abatis @ Jul 8 2005, 05:54 PM)
Sorry to tell you guys but you are completely wrong about the SMT5600 or equivalent. Indeed the band is software controlled. I have worked with Euro friends and we have changed the band on the SMT5600 ROM either loading a Euro ROM like this one : ORANGE ROM-900 band or if you want the SMT5600 ROM with the WMP10 you will need a friend to donate the 900 GSM and use this approach:  SMT5600/C500 ROM/GSM CHnage.

I have done this and know it works. In fact many have forged a number of hybrid ROMs and GSM bands. They have been tested in Europe.

If you have a card reader and a MiniSD the mobi approach is not hard.

They aren't hardware disabled??? That would mean they are technically quad-band phones. Wonder why someone hasn't customized a ROM to allow all bands to be used rather than reflashing each time? Maybe someone should take this on wink.gif Kinda stupid that HTC wouldn't release it AS a quadband phone huh.gif ... I'm sure it would be even more popular that way.
NoNafs
I know right, it was THE main reason I didn't want the phone.
abatis
All I know is that in Europe and the US we have changed the bands 850/900 bands on the phones using software. So what if you have to flash? All you have to do is flash the GSM portion of the phone if you know what you are doing.
gsmnutt
QUOTE (abatis @ Sep 1 2005, 08:08 PM)
All I know is that in Europe and the US we have changed the bands 850/900 bands on the phones using software.  So what if you have to flash? All you have to do is flash the GSM portion of the phone if you know what you are  doing.

Oh, so you mean you flash the radio and not the OS? I always thought the frequency was made by the hardware...
NoNafs
QUOTE (abatis @ Sep 1 2005, 05:08 PM)
All I know is that in Europe and the US we have changed the bands 850/900 bands on the phones using software.  So what if you have to flash? All you have to do is flash the GSM portion of the phone if you know what you are  doing.

When I go overseas I'll let you guys know if it worked or not, but Abatis is sticking by his claim. . . so should be all good.
gsmnutt
QUOTE (NoNafs @ Sep 1 2005, 08:36 PM)
When I go overseas I'll let you guys know if it worked or not, but Abatis is sticking by his claim. . . so should be all good.

Yes, Abatis is a very credible sourse (board admin). I woudn't worry about false rumors from him. NoNafs: Please do post if this works. It would be facinating to find out that the frequency in a phone can be changed via software...
alcalina
anyway to disable the 850?
i dont use that frequency
smeg36
Not that I know of. Although there is no reason to. If you don't use the 850Mhz, it doesn't get used. Disabling it won't improve the other bands, or increase battery life as far as I know. I can't really think of any reason you would need to disable it.
alcalina
sorry, i just think in improvent of battery
just arrive the smt5600 and i have a LOT of questions
smeg36
Ask away, that's why we are here. If you aren't using a frequency, I don't think it will use any, or minimal, power. The battery life of the SMT is great already as well. The band management of the phone is automatic, so you only connect to whatever frequency is available to you.
PatrickRAC83
My question would be, are most phones regulated by their software orare they hardware? Specifically, the phone I am intersted in is the NOkia 6230i. Only available in Europe not US. Runs on the 900/1800/1900. But I want it to work with Congular GSM service. Any sugestions?
smeg36
Most phones are regulated by the available hardware. I have a few suggestions, none of which are really very helpful.

1) Use it with T-Mobile. They only run on the 1900Mhz band, so the 850 vs. 900 band isn't an issue.

2) Find a Nokia site that actually knows about Nokia phones. We are primarily a Windows Mobile site here, and know very little about the dark side ... I mean Nokia.

3) Get a Windows Mobile phone. Seriously, they are great and we can help you out a lot more here.
ppollock
Hi,

Does anyone know whether it works the other way round?

I have an Orange SPV C500 and have just moved to sunny California. I have unlocked the phone and my new Cingular sim works fine but I get bad reception. I think this is probably because it is forced to use the 1900 Mhz band as the Orange SPV doesn't have 850.

Is it possible to update the rom to give it 850Mhz functionality?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Peter
abatis
QUOTE (ppollock @ Oct 26 2005, 09:08 PM)
Hi,

Does anyone know whether it works the other way round?

I have an Orange SPV C500 and have just moved to sunny California. I have unlocked the phone and my new Cingular sim works fine but I get bad reception. I think this is probably because it is forced to use the 1900 Mhz band as the Orange SPV doesn't have 850.

Is it possible to update the rom to give it 850Mhz functionality?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Peter

I would install the cingular ROM. I know the ATT ROM with the 900 band added would install on the Orange phones in Euroland. Should not be a probelm if you get the ROM. At a minimum you could change the GSM section of the ROM. This is where it all started but changing things has evolved way beyond this: http://www.mobismart.net/forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=696
NoNafs
I am currently overseas and flashed my smt with an i mate rom and am getting no signal most of the time. Sometimes (very rarely) I get a bar or two, I was getting signal no problem in the states, so looks like it is a hardware issue. Looks like I have to sell it and get a 2125 or equivalent. . . so not all bad.
abatis
You might want to try the Orange ROM before you give up.
loit3r
NoNafs, please keep us posted with your efforts.

I'm thinking of getting a used SMT5600, to be used in Asia this summer. For the most part, I will have access only to 900MHz. My other option would be to get used SP3 or C500 instead, but they are more expensive and harder to find. Thanks.
NoNafs
I don't see how flashing to the Orange ROM vs I-Mate will help, but it doesn't hurt to try. I'll check it out tonight and post on what happens.
NoNafs
Well, I flashed it to the Orange ROM, and it still doesn't work. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
loit3r
Found an old post at modaco, it seems that there are people that originally believed flashing the SMT with Orange ROM will enable 900, but later found out that is not the case.

Post #12 at http://www.modaco.com/lofiversion/index.php/t117107.html

UPDATES:
Guys I got a bad news
Yesterday i received a AudioVOX from somebody for tests regarding the radio part.
SEEMS that CAN'T make the AUDIOVOX to work with 900 MHZ whatsoever (I copyed FULL gsm tuning from a Orange C500 to it and still nothing). So is look like is a HARDWARE ISSUE. SO, by JUST FLASHING the RADIO and THE tunning, the phone it will not OPERATE on different frequencys
smeg36
I always suspected that was the case but didn't have anyone who had actually tried it to back me up. Thanks for posting your results NoNafs, sorry it isn't working for you.
abatis
Well coming from florin I have to say he knows more than me. However, I did see this message from a Dutch friend who used a whipped up ROM on a SMT5600 and previously could not use it with Vodaphone.

Heheh.. I have received your 900Mhz Rom and it worked without ANY problems the first time really brilliant!! I can't thank you enough..

the bootlogo is also really cool. I have seen some post about changing the bootlogo at www.spv-developers.com but never tryed it myself.. can you please give me a brief description of how you did make the rom, I mean adding another GSM part and the bootlogo?

Thanks again!!

Perhaps it was a fluke incident like some of the MPX200 that have reported success on the 900 band.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.