Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spam
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Other Stuff > Off-Topic Everything Else
Sean
I get lot's of spam, probably 50 a day. I get the same two 20 times a piece every day and they are really strange.

The first one looks like it comes from Microsoft:

The text always looks something like this:

Microsoft User

this is the latest version of security update, the "January 2004, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.
...and it always has an attachment with a name like installer598.exe. The thing that bugs me is that the message is always around 120kb so when you think that I get 20 of these a day that is 2MB a day to download this junk.

I am guessing the attachment is a virus.

The second one is always something like this:
Hi.
This is the qmail program

I'm afraid the message returned below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

Undeliverable message to juwfqh@microsoft.com

Message follows:

There is never a message following. I get these at a rate of 20 to 30 a day.

There is never a rhyme or reason to the return addresses on either type but they just keep coming over and over again. I have probably gotten 600 copies of the first one and 500 of the second. 500 messages, over 60 mb of spam in 2 months. Thank god I'm not on a dial up.

So what's the deal? Anyone else get this junk? Is it wrong for me to want to actually beat the crap out of the senders?
plain
It seems like a virus to me...

From the looks of it, someone who has your email address has an infected computer.

C.
Sean
That's what I thought all along. It really sucks.
Anonymous
The first one is actually a trojan, not a virus. Whatever you do, don't run the attached program. The second one looks like an attempt at a mail relay... if you could include the total mail headers, I'd have a better idea of what was actually going on.
Anonymous
Same guest again... does mpx200.org run qmail?
Sean
I'll post the header tonight, thanks. The MPx200 is unrelated the best I can tell. I have never sent a message to any of the "recipients" in the q-mail messages. It also comes with an xxx.exe program sometimes now (probably the same Trojan)
plain
http://www.sysadmin.it/pages/virus/virus.asp?ID=565

I found this... Maybe this can help?
Sean
I'll look into it, thanks...
nbercasio
I'll look into it, thanks...

This might be relevant as well...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...u=/cmp/17300373
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.