Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can your MPx200 screen calls too?
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Microsoft SmartPhones > Motorola MPx200
jadjman
I discovered a weird thing about my MPx200 today. I own and operate a coffeeshop in Washington DC (www.murkycoffee.com) and have a 7-month old daughter. These two facts are important.

Because my daughter is often asleep during the day, I have made a habit of silencing the ringer ASAP ("down" on the volume-dial thing) before seeing the caller ID, opening the phone, and then pressing "TALK" to answer it, as I have it set. My coffeeshop is fairly noisy, and when I answer calls from it, the ambient noise is loud and distinctive. Here's where the "weirdness" comes in:

So my store calls me (Star Wars "Cantina" ring tone... go figure), and because I'm 2 feet from my phone, I mute it immediately. I open the phone, when I realize that I can hear the store already. Assuming that I somehow answered the call accidentally, I say, "Hello?" No answer.

THEN I hit the call button, and Ryan can hear me.

This happened a second time. It seemed like I could hear them, but they couldn't hear me, until I answered. What was happening? Would the call properly be forwarded to voicemail if I didn't answer? Was it actually ringing during this time?

So I just had a friend (that I was chatting with on AOL Instant Messenger) test it for me. He called me, and said the alphabet while he heard the ring-sound. I hit mute on the phone and listened. I could clearly hear him, but he couldn't hear me... just ringing. How weird is that???

FYI... my MPx200 is (of course) AT&T branded, but was unlocked and is on T-Mobile. I also did the flash to the generic build.

Try this... does it work for you too?

It's not the most practical thing in the world... I suppose only for some eavesdropping on pre-answer blabbing... but it's weird nonetheless.

Nick
AJ
Mine does the same thing. I can hear the other party before I answer. The first time I noticed it was indeed strange. But now I think it's really cool.

I did this to my Dad one day... he was talking to my Mom about something in the car and I just joined into the conversasion when I answered the call. Got him good as he asked "How did you know what we were talking about it, your line was still ringing". biggrin.gif

I've got an ATT branded phone, unlocked on T-Mobile, still using the original ATT firmware.
RandyRants
Odd. I always thought it was more of a bug but I never stopped to notice because when I get the phone open I hit Answer immediately and am usually treated to a ringing phone tone (as if I dialed them) and then a second pause before they can hear me.

Next time I get a call, I'll listen before I answer and see if I can hear anything on the other end before I hit Answer. This would be a hoot if it was a bug that offers voice screening.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.