Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Firmware from Windows Mobile 2005
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Firmware > Firmware
Hightech
when this firmware is release how would one get it for there device? I am planning on getting a smartphone the I-Mate SP3 but with this new firmware coming out is it better to wait ?

Thanks
Slacker
It depends on the phone manufacturer and cellular carrier. Your best bet is that if you want a device that comes with 2005, wait until a device is offered with it. But counting on an update is probably wasted hope.
Hightech
Thanks slacker. One more question when the 2005 is release will 2003 be unsupported or this is also depends on the carrier and stuff. It seem that when something new comes out the old one is not support and peopl are left out in the cold.

Thanks
abatis
I think the lack of support upgrades has a lot to do with the manufacturer. Motorola seems to lack much inclination to do ROM upgrades unless it is something gross and than they make you send the phone in eg., MPX220 or even the DMTF problem with the early MPX200. Other manufacturers like HTC seem to provide good support to the carriers and offer customer ROM upgrade options, eg Blue Angels (PDA2K, SX66 etc.) for problems. VOQ also provides customers updates directly.

It seems like the phone hardware is fairly optimized for the OS, eg. MPX220 was made to run 2003. We have seen the many problems the MPX200 had with 2003 largerly because the hardware was not designed to take advantage of the OS.I would guess that you will be looking at new Hardware to go with the new 2005OS. The technology is changing so fast that who knows when the mobile equivalent of WindowsXP will be developed. That is, an OS that everyone can settle down on for 3 years or so and is the standard for equipment design. Mobile technology will get there but right now it is kind of fun to see the speed things are changing. Hard on the wallet to keep up but if you settle for one iteration behind the latest technology you can get some powerfull bargains.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.