Ok I'm well aware that the WM2003 Rom for the MPx200 wouldn't be exactly a legal holding thing, however I'm interested to know whether there is any legal issue with holding copies of the Generic 2002.

The way I see it is, we bought the phone with SP2002 installed on it, and should be entitled to have a copy of the software/rom as we've purchased the license to use it.
I can spout of crap about having a "backup" and all but thats a common "I'm a dirty pirate warez god" justifactional argument, which if you stick behind all well and good but, we're all thieves at heart.

Anyway back on track, I also see that the only real people the could have any contendership to the matter would be Microsoft and Motorola. Seeing as it is designed by Motorola for thier phones and Microsoft have made the software. AT&T, Orange, T-Mobile and Cingular really couldn't say squat, sure they've customized the rom, but the generic rom doesn't have anything relating to them at all. Again an argument here could be made that most people with a MPx200 are on a contract and technically the Service provider still owns the phone until the contract has run its course, but that wouldn't effect using the rom on outright purchased phones where the owner has the right and ability to do whatever the ^*&& they feel like with their property..

So what is the stance on it all, and opinions are good too.