Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Data use on Prepaid SIM
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Wireless Carriers > T-Mobile
franman
So guys,

Once I (finally) get my unlock code and install this prepaid TMOB sim that I've had for about 4 days (waiting for my unlock code) and it's all good and I'm hooked up with TMOB (after I get my unlock code)>>> nah, I'm not getting impatient with GSM Liberty...

Will I be able to use the TMOB Data settings and try their data services or are this prepaid sims typically for voice only? Thanks.
deavod
Still waiting on that unlock code? sad.gif

To be honest I haven't tried data on the pre-paid SIM because I figured by the time I got all the settings debugged I'd switch back to my AT&T SIM and have to do it all again.

Please let me know how it works for you.
GrYph0n
franman, I will give it a try tomorrow afternoon. Eventhough I switched over to T-Mobile, I still have a prepaid SIM lying around here somewhere. I will plug it in my phone to test the settings that I know work on their network. I will get back to you on this. Oh yeah, thanks for the comment you left in Sean's intro of me... smile.gif
baslanides
I got my prepaid TMO sim about 5 days ago to test the network in chicago for a while. I entered all the settings that have been posted here for TMO in the past, and they did not work.

I was also wondering if the prepaid sim allows you access to the data network.

I also was not allowed to forward my phone calls to a number using the phones call forwarding feature.

Bill
franman
Okay, so this is an issue?? Let me know guys. What do you make of baslanides issues?? Maybe the prepaid is a dumbed up voice only SIM?? or the services are limited? When I get my unlock code.......... and get the TMOB SIM working, I will contact this all so wonderful customer service they are so well known for to discuss... Let's see what you guys come up with. As always, thanks for jumping on an issue... even before I have the darn phone unlocked???
GrYph0n
Well I tried to connect using my prepaid SIM and there is no luck. I know that my settings are correct because I have a T-Mobile Contract SIM and they work perfectly. I belive that franman is correct in his theory that the prepaids are voice only SIM cards. Keep in mind that even a contract SIM will not allow you to connect using data unless your account is set up for it. I am not sure if this will even be possible to set up with a prepaid, due to the fact that it seems to me that the prepaids are subcontracted (My own speculation). When I called to have my prepaid number changed it was "some other company" for T-mobile prepaid wireless. I think it is a pretty grim outlook on getting anything other than voice on your prepaid, but it is worth a shot. Please let us know what you find out...
deavod
Well Franman, looks like the TMO prepaid is voice only. I tried using 2 different phones and had the same result - just no data at all.
franman
Thanks guys.... I'm not surprised... Let's see how the coverage is here is Northern Westchester... then I'll decide what to do.
crawfrdb
I did the same here in Chicago- tested coverage prepaid before moving to a contract. After two weeks, I dropped SpringPCS like a bad lover. Never looked back. Their customer care needs a kick in the @$$ once in a while, but this is a reflection of the industry as a whole.

One funny example: When I went into the TM store to sign the contract, the ENTIRE staff at their Woodfield Mall location sternly insisted that if I sent/received SMSs while traveling overseas the only cost would be against my monthly SMS bucket. I was in complete disbelief. I asked for this in writing. The store manager had nothing to offer but her rep ID number as reference. Over the course of the next several months, I inquired about this again and again with reps at telephone customer care who all confirmed what I had been told at the store. After expressing additional skepticism and receiving an insistance that this was the case, each time I would request this information be placed in my customer account record- to which each obliged. Then one summer a few years ago I land a two month job assignment in Poland. No suprise- on my return, there are $45 in SMS charges waiting for me. After a rude lecture from the first telephone customer care rep I contact on my return, she provides a one-time credit for the SMS charges. About the only reps I ever speak to with any IQ at all are third-tier wireless data group reps- they really seem to know what's going on. But getting through to them is a hit and miss proposition- you need an issue to get you in their queue and a front line rep willing to assist. GSM is a great technology though. Glad it is in the US.

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.