Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stephen Colbert explains the at&t Cingular Name Change
> General > General Discussion
abatis
earl
Ha ha! I love it. Where does Lucent fit into all that mess?
abatis
The company (Bell) that invented the transitor is now part of Alcatel-Lucent. It is amazing to think of the technology that came out of Bell, IBM and Xerox's PARC.

DEAN HOVEY was hungry. Jobs told him about an amazing computer, code-named Alto, he had just seen at Xerox’s Palo Alto Research Center (PARC). In early 1980, most computers (including Apple’s) required users to memorize text commands to perform tasks. The Alto had a graphical user interface—a symbolic world with little pictures of folders, documents and other icons—that users navigated with a handheld input device called a mouse. Jobs explained that Apple was working on two computers, named Lisa and Macintosh, that would bring that technology to market. The mouse would help revolutionize computers, making them more accessible to ordinary people. “When I walked out that door,” recalls Hovey, ’78, MS ’85, “I was ready to change the world.”

And there were the little things like Fortran, Unix, C ...
GrYph0n
That is funny. Kind of makes you wonder about the whole thing and if it was all just a ploy for AT&T to regain the entire market... Hmmm....
earl
Bell Labs were the envy of the scientific world back in the 70's and 80's before the breakup of Ma Bell. The scientists were given pretty much total freedom to pursue whatever interests they wished. Typically industrial researchers have much less 'creative freedom' than academics. I saw a lecture last year by Stan Williams, the head R&D guy for Hewlitt Packard. He's tried to emulate that same kind of environment in their labs...very cool cutting edge research in nanotechnology and solid state physics. I'll see if I can find some information and post it up here.

Whoops, I kind of rambled there and lost my point,which was that Bell Labs research arm I think went to Lucent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.