Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is 3gp?
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > General > General Discussion
superfall
As 3G phone is well entrenching on the realm of conventional handset market, watching movie on-the-go has become a kind of fashion. 3GP, a kind of file format, is special for 3G phone. As a special device, smart phone has its own file format from the beginning. As you know, there has been many file formats. What is the difference between 3GP file format and others? And what is mean by 3G phone?
What is 3GP?
3GP is a kind of file format, same as general format AVI, ASF, DIVx, MOV, RM, RMVB. Literally, 3GP or .3gp is the third generation video standard. It integrates mp3, mp4, 3gpp, 3g3p and 3g2 together. it is a multimedia container format defined by 3GPP (the 3rd Generation Partnership Project) for use on 3G mobile phones. It is a simplified version of MPEG-4 Part 14 (MP4). 3GP files have the filename extension .3gp or .3g2.
what is mean by 3G phone?
3GP is the third generation. what about 1st and 2nd generation? And what's the difference between these generations? The 1st generation was analog, followed by the 2nd generation w/c is digital. Text messaging was introduced in the 2nd generation. The 3rd generation has a much higher bandwidth, meaning it can carry more data than the previous generations. This high data rate made possible things like video calling and high speed internet browsing. So the difference is bandwidth.
What about features of 3GP?
3GP stores video streams as MPEG-4 or H.263, and audio streams as AMR-NB or AAC-LC formats. 3GP files are always big-endian. 3GP also describes image sizes and bandwidth, so content is correctly sized for mobile display screens. MPEG-4 Part 14, formally, is a multimedia container format standard specified as a part of MPEG-4. It is most-commonly used to store digital audio and digital video streams, especially those defined by MPEG, but also can be used to store other data such as subtitles and still images. Like most modern container formats, MPEG-4 Part 14 allows streaming over the Internet. The official filename extension for MPEG-4 Part 14 files is .mp4, thus the container format is often refered to simply as MP4.
3GP format is appealing to more and more people. 3GP files are viewable on a PC using QuickTime or RealPlayer. Most of the smartphones can only play 3GP files or several other formats. But at least for the time being, the formats supported by 3G phones are anything but many. A video converter is necessary for smartphone users. There are many powerful converters in the intrenet, such as ImTOO 3GP converter, Magicbit 3GP cell phone converter, MikSoft Mobile 3GP converter, Nokia Multimedia Converter 2.0 etc.
lil14kid
even tho u answerd ur own question i still prefer mpeg4 it looks better and is more accepted i think they should stop supporting h.263 wats the deal with that wats the advantage
smdg003
good,i learn so much knowdege,but i always use xilisoft 3gp converter,i think it is very fit to me,i like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.