Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sda enter button problem
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Microsoft SmartPhones > HTC Hurricane, Robbie & Tornado
cheree98661
Hello, I am not sure if I am doing this right (posting in the right place), as I have never done it before. So pardon me if I am in the wrong place or am not doing something right. unsure.gif

I have 2 questions, first the enter button or "joystick" , is there any other way to make a selection? I don't know if it is just me or not but when I try and push it it always moves left, right, up or down. I find it very hard to get it to go straight. Am I doing something wrong? Sorry if I sound kind of new at this.

The next question is about the memory card, I did not get one with the phone, do I have to order it from a tmobile store or is there another (possibly generic, for lack of a better term) card I can get?

Thanks for your time.
Slacker
I can't answer the joystick question, but the SDA uses a standard MiniSD card for expansion. Places like NewEgg.com have a wide selection. The SDA I believe will handle up to a 2GB MiniSD card. My only word of advice is to get a name brand MiniSD card and not an off brand.
cheree98661
Thank you for your reply, I wasn't sure if I had to get it from Tmobile or not as they said I did.

Anyone have any ideas about the joystick issue?

Thanks again!
runningtiger
I second what Slacker said about buying a name brand storage card if you're buying it online. If you're buying local, you can try a generic card since you can return it relatively easy.

I tried two generic cards that didn't work and would have been VERY angry if I had to deal with RMAs and return shipping charges etc.

I finally ended up with a 2GB Kingston card that works great.

As for the joystick...I haven't experienced this enough to call it an issue on my phone. I play a couple games on my phone that are joystick intensive and have noticed a few times not moving when I expect it to. But, I push it again and it goes. Not a big deal really. I'm hoping it doesn't become one. I just read someone else who said the SDA joystick issue was a big problem. I didn't know...but will be paying more attention from now on.

That said, usually when you would use the joystick to achieve something, the left soft button will do the same. Not all the time, but much of the time. Take note of your soft button labels and see when it's an option. For the start menu you can use the corresponding keypad press to launch the application or open the folder. For example, if you're using the grid start, the icon in the uppermost left corner can be accessed by pressing the "1" key. If you're using the list start menu, the first item on the list can be launched by pressing the "1" key.

I've noticed a friend of mine uses the joystick a lot by scrolling through menus and contact lists all the time and then making her selection. I use the numbers to make selections after a menu is opened and I type the first few letters of a name I want then choose their name from the contacts list.

I've also set up speed dials and voice tags for the applications and phone numbers I use the most so I avoid the start menu and contacts menu totally most of the time.

I definitely don't use the joystick as much as I've observed my friend doing. Maybe that's why I haven't had too much trouble with it? <knock on wood>
cheree98661
QUOTE (runningtiger @ Oct 30 2006, 05:18 PM) *
I second what Slacker said about buying a name brand storage card if you're buying it online. If you're buying local, you can try a generic card since you can return it relatively easy.

I tried two generic cards that didn't work and would have been VERY angry if I had to deal with RMAs and return shipping charges etc.

I finally ended up with a 2GB Kingston card that works great.

As for the joystick...I haven't experienced this enough to call it an issue on my phone. I play a couple games on my phone that are joystick intensive and have noticed a few times not moving when I expect it to. But, I push it again and it goes. Not a big deal really. I'm hoping it doesn't become one. I just read someone else who said the SDA joystick issue was a big problem. I didn't know...but will be paying more attention from now on.

That said, usually when you would use the joystick to achieve something, the left soft button will do the same. Not all the time, but much of the time. Take note of your soft button labels and see when it's an option. For the start menu you can use the corresponding keypad press to launch the application or open the folder. For example, if you're using the grid start, the icon in the uppermost left corner can be accessed by pressing the "1" key. If you're using the list start menu, the first item on the list can be launched by pressing the "1" key.

I've noticed a friend of mine uses the joystick a lot by scrolling through menus and contact lists all the time and then making her selection. I use the numbers to make selections after a menu is opened and I type the first few letters of a name I want then choose their name from the contacts list.

I've also set up speed dials and voice tags for the applications and phone numbers I use the most so I avoid the start menu and contacts menu totally most of the time.

I definitely don't use the joystick as much as I've observed my friend doing. Maybe that's why I haven't had too much trouble with it? <knock on wood>
cheree98661
Hello again! I just thought I would let you know what happened with my SDA! Remember? The joystick issue? dry.gif Well, I thought I would just learn to live with it. sad.gif I had been using your method, pressing the numbers instead. And it was just as easy to do it that way! rolleyes.gif

You mentioned. that you were watching yours to see if it was going to do the same thing,,,,,,,,, I don't think it is something you need to worry about though, if yours hasn't messed up by now then I doubt it will. Looking back now, I suspect it was a factory defect. I had just gotten my phone a week or so before that, so I didn't know that they weren't all the same way as mine, I had never seen one that you could easily use. It felt almost like it was loose or something.

Anyway, right after I read your reply about whether the sd card needed to be from tmobile, I went out and bought a 2 gig Sandisk memory card and didn't even got a chance to try it out! I powered my phone off and removed my battery so that the guy could make sure that I was getting the correct size card (it was!) I purchased the card and was happily on my way.

But when I tried to power my phone on it wouldn't come on. It wouldn't charge either, in fact the light that normally comes on when it is charging was red not amber, (I don't know if that is significant or not but, when I called tmobile they asked if I was color blind!!!!! ohmy.gif ) '

So finally,, after jumping through all their hoops and doing all the testing they could walk me through on my end they decided to send me a replacemennt! The problem is solved! The joystick isn't an issue anymore either, biggrin.gif

So far I haven't had any issues at all! And the memory card worked just great,

I just wanted to tell you thanks for all your help and give you an update on the story now, I'm sorry this is so long, I will stop now, Thanks again you guys!
runningtiger
My theory in using the number keys instead of always joysticking around is that it spreads the "wear & tear" all around the keypad and not mostly centered on the joystick all the time.

So, I guess your story is a bad news/good news kind of thing. Bad that you got a phone with a bum joystick to begin with...but good that it also had a bum power issue and the whole thing got replaced and now you got a phone good all the way around.

I'd forgotten about this issue until I just re-read the thread. I've had my phone a couple more months now and you're right - it wasn't an issue then and isn't now. I got a good one from the get go it looks like!

Thanks for posting an update and I'm glad you're problem has been solved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.