Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think I got a lemon...
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Microsoft SmartPhones > Motorola MPx220
Lightshield
I bought a used phone off of eBay. Big problem though, is that nobody can hear me when I answer the phone. I upgraded the ROM to 3.46 hoping to fix it, but it still hasn't.

So if a ROM update didn't fix it... I'm looking at a defective microphone aren't I? So I pretty much just got hosed? :-(

Is there anything else I can try to fix it??
GrYph0n
First thing I would do would be to contact the seller. See if you can get your money back or get an exchange. If not then you may be a little on the hosed side. There are plenty of things that could be done to try to fix it, but that depends on your background (i.e. I wouldn't personally be able to fix it). I still think your best bet is to contact the seller and see what they have to say about everything...
abatis
I have never owned an MPX220 but from surfing many Windows Mobile web sites including our own the MPX220 seems to have more than it's fair share of problems including multiple complaints about the mic. Two things that you could try in the interim while your waiting for the seller to make good on the deal.

1. Use the speaker phone by pressing the talk key after a connection is established. This has been one work around on early phones that had the problem. Obviously no cure.

2. Get a Bluetooth headset and make and receive calls using it.

I hope the seller squares with you. Also check if you paid with Paypal. You may be protected if the device is defective.
Lightshield
I contacted him. He says that it was working fine for him up till about 3 months ago, when he swapped to Sprint and "put the phone in the closet." He's wondering if it was damaged in shipping... but the box was in perfect shape.

Here's a link to the original auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300024183970

Notice he says "No refunds or exchanges" in it... I have a sinking feeling that he KNEW the Mic was busted.

Then again, he has 100% positive feedback... so I dunno.

I sure hope I can get my money back though. $100+ bucks is a lot of money to waste for a defective product. :-(
abatis
Hopefully you have not given him a rating yet. I highly doubt the MIC inside the phone was some how damaged while shipping. If so it was do to his poor packaging. I would tell him he will get his first negative rating if he doesn't take the phone back. I always make sure I am happy with the sale before I rate someone.

I have taken a phone back on an Ebay sale simply on the basis the buyer felt the phone was to complicated for their need. That doesn't make me a great guy - it is just good business. I think the guy sold you a defective phone and he should take it back. Why no refunds or exchange - that is like saying no matter what you are screwed and I have your money.
smeg36
Looking at his feedback, it doesn't look like you've left any yet. That's good. It also doesn't matter if he says no returns or refunds, the item isn't as described in the auction. You have the option of leaving negative feedback, reporting him to ebay, and filing a dispute with Paypal. I'd first let him know what you are willing to do and see what he says. If he still refuses to give a refund or somehow replace it, file a complaint with ebay and a dispute with Paypal. That sucks that you have to go through this. I still haven't been burnt using ebay yet.
Lightshield
I just opened a dispute with PayPal. He tried telling me that, since his auction said "Used, As Is with No Refunds or Exchanges" then I was stuck.

However, since his auction ALSO stated "100% Functional" I'm gonna try and dispute it.

Think I'd have a shot at it?

It makes me sad... other than the microphone problem, I quite like the MPx220. :-(
GrYph0n
I'd say that you have a shot at it. Who knows. Also if you don't mind extending your contract you may want to consider just getting a 3125, a MUCH more powerful and featureful phone than the MPx220 wink.gif.
smeg36
I think you have a great shot. The item isn't what he said it was. He claimed it was a fully functional phone. It isn't, thus his auction was false and he bears the burden of having to replace or refund it. If he is claiming it was damaged in the mail, he needs to provide proof of insurance and file a claim with the shipping agency. If he doesn't have proof of insurance, that should be on him and Paypal should give you your money back. I'll be very interested to hear what the results of your claim with Paypal is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.