Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Variation in WM5 Image?
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Microsoft SmartPhones > Motorola MPx200
kasumie
Hello MPx200 friends,

I've upgraded my MPX to WM5 from 2002 OS about 3-4 month ago. No complaint about the upgrading process, thanks to all of you who help me with your post. I love the OS a lot smile.gif . The WM5 OS run at lower clock speed (120MHz) which help with battery life.

The problem is, I sometimes getting weird unreadable SMS like 'kasgdk?agnbsdsgaas?' which are not in my language here in Malaysia sad.gif . I first tought it may be service provider error. But last month, after I reflashed my MPX with 2003 OS, I found out its was the WM5 image that I flashed my MPX with was buggy.

I'm now running 2003 with lower clock speed (100MHz using OmapClk) at least until I found a solution to that problem.

My question:
1.I wonder, how many variation (or version) of WM5 are there were avaialable for MPX200? Is there any?
2.Which one are the best?

Please help by checking your WM5 version and and reply post it here

TQ in advance
[size=2]
ardec1
The only one I have ever used and never had any problems with is simply called WM2005.zip

That file is 31,904 kb

When unzipped it creates three files:

part1.img 14,680 kb

part2.img 30,099 kb

part3.img 41 kb
AndrewSh
QUOTE (kasumie @ Aug 26 2006, 12:27 AM) *
.....My question:
1.I wonder, how many variation (or version) of WM5 are there were avaialable for MPX200? Is there any?
2.Which one are the best?

1. *mod edit-link removed*
2. Who knows?..

To administration:
The forum is funny but the overabundant quotation here sometimes drives me crazy!!!
smeg36
Discussion on this subject is fine. Posting links to the files isn't. It is prohibited in our Board Guidelines, so please don't do it. We are here to help all we can, but within legal means. Thanks.
AndrewSh
smeg36, I understand the rules but I can not understand - how the upgrade of the outdated phone can be illegal? Do you really think that flashing the old phone is a case for trial? But OK - rules are rules... Sorry!
smeg36
The legality of the software is unrelated to the age of the phone. True it seems Microsoft and Motorola would be less likely to bring a case for a phone that isn't currently in circulation, but it is still illegal regardless. Microsoft owns the software, and aren't receiving reimbursement for it.
muchomorek
smeg36 is right just follow the rules forum ethic.
AndrewSh
muchomorek, one remark from moderator is more than enough for me, thank you. Offtopic is always offtopik (even if you try to teach me how to behave). By the way - your avatar image is a property of Microsoft. Do you have the legal permission from them to use it? biggrin.gif
smeg36, Microsoft for sure owns the software, but the Software Development Kit for Windows Mobile 5.0 software for Smartphone and Visual Studio 2005 are in free access - am I right or not? Should I post the links to the official free downloads? smile.gif
So, link is removed but the discussion - not. In continuation of the theme: chinese enthusiasts developed the WM2005 for MPx200.
Main features of the new version:
ROM is now one IMG file (name: MPX200_WM5_CHS_1.2.IMG). Bootscreen picture is changed (Hellomoto logo)
Software ver - the same as it was.
1. System languages: Chinese (default), English
2. Radio ver: 1.0
3. Built-in MMS feature
4. Built-in Celetask 2.0
5. Built-in Resco Explorer
6. Unlocked registry
7. Built-in OmapClock (default frequency 132 MHz)
8. Built-in SIM Manager
9. Built-in StorageWM5
10. Fixed system fonts
11. Other minor improvements.
smeg36
Wow, this cooked ROM really includes a lot of built-in goodies. Yes, the SDK is free, and you can post links to that. But there isn't any way to flash it to a phone. It all depends on if it was officially released or not. Example: We can post links to the Motorola website where they have the Cingular 1.43 ROM available for download for the MPx220. We can't post links to other websites that have the Asian ROMs available for download.
trader168
I hope to get more information before upgrade. Appreciate if more is to discuss and some practical too.
mcaq
QUOTE (AndrewSh @ Sep 5 2006, 09:08 AM) *
Main features of the new version:
ROM is now one IMG file (name: MPX200_WM5_CHS_1.2.IMG). Bootscreen picture is changed (Hellomoto logo)

But contains 3 IMG files labelled parts1-3, all of which are the same size when unpacked.

Confused.

Getting WM5torage to work would be the icing for me.

mcaq
Not smart enough to have a signature
ardec1
Unpack all images using WinRar in to one unpacked library and then flash that one image.

If you don't know how to do that, don't try to use that upgrade.
AndrewSh
To everyone!
I really can not understand the agiotage of some members of the forum about the appearance of the Chinese ver of the ROM.
All the mentioned improvements can be easily installed separately to the first version. It does not take a lot of efforts. The radio version 1.0 should be flashed with Motorola Upgrade Wizard, other things - programs and utils. And it's easy to find them.
BTW radio version 1.0 is "official" (I mean - Motorola approved - from BEN-6-1000-034) so I offer a link to get it: http://onk.nm.ru/mpx200/gsm_E00000.zip
It's possible to apply that radio version to any 2002, 2003, 2005 ROM.
If the link to new radio does not match the forum rules - moderators can edit my post, but without additional comments from other members how to behave, please.
For the future - I will not answer any letters like ".... help me to flash my phone..." or ".... where to get software....". Just use your own brain and eyes to read carefully the given info.
mcaq
Such an elegant install compared to the 3 part fiddle that is out there. A working phone in under 5 minutes. All works fine but obviously in Chinese. Main system to English is no problem, but the extras and (more importantly) the text entry menus default to Chinese characters.

mcaq
kasumie
QUOTE (AndrewSh @ Sep 7 2006, 04:11 PM) *
To everyone!
I really can not understand the agiotage of some members of the forum about the appearance of the Chinese ver of the ROM.
All the mentioned improvements can be easily installed separately to the first version. It does not take a lot of efforts. The radio version 1.0 should be flashed with Motorola Upgrade Wizard, other things - programs and utils. And it's easy to find them.
BTW radio version 1.0 is "official" (I mean - Motorola approved - from BEN-6-1000-034) so I offer a link to get it: http://onk.nm.ru/mpx200/gsm_E00000.zip
It's possible to apply that radio version to any 2002, 2003, 2005 ROM.
If the link to new radio does not match the forum rules - moderators can edit my post, but without additional comments from other members how to behave, please.
For the future - I will not answer any letters like ".... help me to flash my phone..." or ".... where to get software....". Just use your own brain and eyes to read carefully the given info.

The BTW radio version that AndrewSH mention above somehow lock my phone to WM5. Now I can't flash it back to 2003. The Upgrade wizard indicator just freeze when I try to flash the phone. Did anyone else have the same symptom?
JakeArmitage
I have used the Chinese rom and the standard rom and I find the standard three part rom to be a much better rom for everyday english users. The T9 data and handling of the Chinese rom is sub-par and the inclusion of the Resco Software programs helps but if you have the original Motorola software then you are set. They have a much smaller footprint and are in English by default. Thats just my opinion.
AndrewSh
QUOTE (kasumie @ Dec 4 2006, 02:06 PM) *
The BTW radio version that AndrewSH mention above somehow lock my phone to WM5. Now I can't flash it back to 2003. The Upgrade wizard indicator just freeze when I try to flash the phone. Did anyone else have the same symptom?

Very funny. You know - strange, but I dont feel any guilt. Radio ver. upgrade can not (!!!) lock your phone. And one more thing - when you flash the phone with different ROM - radio stack remains the same as with previous ROM. So try to find someone else who is responsible for your trouble. smile.gif

JakeArmitage, sure English (original) WM 5.0 ROM is better for non-chinese speaking people. If you are able to tune up and tweak your phone and Chinese is not your native - it's no need to flash your phone with that ROM.
JakeArmitage
Andrew: I just felt that I should add my two bits about the variations on the upgrade. I found battery life to be better "out of the box" on the Chinese rom. At one point with the non-chinese rom my battery was dropping 1-3% every couple of minutes. This was with a brand new motorola battery. I tweaked the heck out of the system and now it last quite long.

BTW, have you found a good push-mail client for the MPX?
smeg36
You could try this solution for push email. I'm not sure how well it works, I've never used it before.
frank.lui
QUOTE (AndrewSh @ Sep 5 2006, 09:08 AM) *
Software ver - the same as it was.
1. System languages: Chinese (default), English
2. Radio ver: 1.0
3. Built-in MMS feature
4. Built-in Celetask 2.0
5. Built-in Resco Explorer
6. Unlocked registry
7. Built-in OmapClock (default frequency 132 MHz)
8. Built-in SIM Manager
9. Built-in StorageWM5
10. Fixed system fonts
11. Other minor improvements.

Andrewsh, can this ROM be used to overwrite SP2002 version (my MPX200 is using SP2002 ver3.0 Build13258)? Someone said it is an upgrade from SP2003. Thanks
smeg36
You can flash it to any MPx200, regardless of the ROM is had on it.
frank.lui
QUOTE (smeg36 @ Dec 14 2006, 03:51 PM) *
You can flash it to any MPx200, regardless of the ROM is had on it.

Thanks! Someone said it would be better to backup existing ROM (SP2002), just in case the upgrade fails. What kind of software doing the job? Thanks again.
smeg36
You can't really backup the existing ROM on the phone. You can download a copy of the 2002 image if you want to flash back from 2005.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.