Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MPx220 OS upgrade
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Microsoft SmartPhones > Motorola MPx220
flowmatik
I previously had an MPx200 and just purchased an MPx220 today. With my MPx200 i had upgraded to WM05. What is the latest and most stable rom available for the MPx220. I know that this topic has been dealt with countless times but I am looking for some help. I know that links cannot be posted, but I would really appreciate any help that could be given to me maybe through a pm. Thanks in advance.
smeg36
The newest and most stable US ROM is the Cingular 1.43 ROM. The newest and ROM from anywhere is the Asian 3.53. If you don't want to do some tweaking to get the ROM the way you want it, stick with the Cingular. If you don't mind tweaking it, the Asian ROM is more recent.
runningtiger
I sooooooooo wish there was a list somewhere that told what the differences in the newer ROMs are? The place I found to download the ROMs just lists them by number. Wouldn't it be nice to know what the newest Asian 3.53 has that Asian 3.45 does not?

I mention 3.45 because that's what I have on my phone and it works very well. There is some "tweaking" (meaning changing the language setting to English etc. - very easy to do with the help of Omega2008's blog).

There's this site - and others - where it seems like there are more than a few users who try all the ROMs, but I've never seen a list that says ROM "B" improves upon ROM "A" because... It would be a great thread to have pinned at the top of the device forum don'tcha think?

My experience "flashing" my phone was that it was not smooth and a little scarey for awhile. It turned out OK, but I would not flash again just to see what 3.53 offers that 3.45 doesn't. I chose 3.45 'cuz after reading a lot of threads it seemed to me that was the ROM used by other posters/moderators who's opinions I'd come to respect. They certainly know more than I do! But, 3.53 wasn't available then and most those people have moved on to other devices now and aren't advising too much any more on the MPx220 and it's ROMs.

Good luck and let us know what the differences are if you try a few different ones!
Nidza
3.53 is misslabeled 1.53 in some sites. It is newest MPx220 ROM, from september 2005. Prior 1.53 had 1.49 and some factori 1.2something and it sucked compaired to 1.53.

If you put 1.53, you'll find why there's no need for further improvement. Presence of Media Player 10 is not significant, since there're much better video and mp3 players on freeware and cheap shareware market.

People say that 3.45 (prior 1.53 asian ROM) is also very good.

Could tell that only with 3.45 and 1.53 almost no issues. Both Asian and need slight registry tweak.
flowmatik
ok, i upgraded to 3.53, and i've made some adjustments. so far i'm missing my mpx200 with wm but i'm going to give this some time to grow on me. runningtiger, i agree with you. when i found the roms, they were all together. i didn't know which on to choose and there was minimal information as to which one included what. i'm still unsure as to which one is really the "best", why and what features it has. i'll keep you posted though.
runningtiger
I have no experience with wm5 so I'm not sure what you're missing except that I think I know wm5 has icons for the start menu instead of a list. Is that right? There is a free download called "gStart" that will give you the icons instead of a list. One caveat...it might not work. huh.gif

I say that 'cuz I had it on my 200 which has wm2003 on it and it worked flawlessly. When I first got my 220 (wm2003se) I loaded gStart and it wouldn't work (couldn't open folders on the start list - only worked with direct program links). I searched around and found another free program call "AbstractStart" which also gives icons. It worked, but without lables on all those icons I just didn't care for it...but, it worked!

A few nights ago I did a hard reset and reloaded my 220 and added a program called MyTools. I've also recently added a program called SmartScroll. I'm not sure which one, or if it's the combination of both...but all of the sudden gStart is working on my phone! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif I wasn't even gonna load gStart and then decided to since it's easy to move and copy and rearrange the start menu using it. So, it was the last program I loaded on my phone. Now it works as you'd expect - almost. blink.gif What I mean by that is, after completely loading my phone and finding out all of the sudden that gStart was working I decided to use it to rearrange the order and change the icon highlight style. When I was done doing that...it would no longer open folders again. sad.gif mad.gif

So, I hard reset once again reloaded everything - myTools first, gStart last - didn't mess with any gStart settings and it's working as an icon start menu just fine. I'm happy to have it back.

Not sure what else you miss from wm5, but maybe you should check out gStart and see if it works on your phone - or, see if you can deal with AbstractStart. Some people like the clean look (no lables).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.