Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Exchange Sync Problem?
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > PocketPC Phone Edition > HTC Phone Edition Devices
franman
sad.gif

Okay, so I've had my 8125 syncing great with Exchange since FIreman Rob clued me in on how to install the certificate. Today, I get to work and plug in my phone. Activesync starts up normally, and then I hear the phone make beep, beep beep.. it's initiating a GPRS connection?? Say what...

Activesync says it's connected (on the PC and the Phone) but the phone is trying to sync to the Exchange server via GPRS... I reboot my machine, my phone and try again.. Same thing.

Go to take a look at the server and (here's the problem I think) I have an "idlist" error.. Reboot the server (and 12 minutes later) I get the same error at bootup.. Machine starts, try syncing again and the same thing with the phone.. It never can sync to Exchange server while hooked up to my PC.. It will sync over the air just fine (GPRS) but when "connected"... it tried to connect over GPRS anyway (even though I've got a connected Activesync screen on my PC)... and never succeeds..

I've contacted our IT consultant and I'm waiting.. In the meantime, Exchange appears to be running normally and outlook works on our client machines. This "unable to locate '/idlist, :260:329' error makes me thing something is not being recognized about users on the server. Also, when logged on as an Administrator (user with Admin priveledges) it tells me it can't run Server Management unless I'm logged on as a Domain administrator or Power User... (never happened before.)

So, any IT guys out there got any ideas? Could my Activesync problems be related to these Server errors, even though Exchange and Outlook appear to be working?? My problem is our IT consultant is in Norway and they are on Holiday today and tomorrow!!

Help! Thanks guys..

FM
franman
Okay so our IT guy fixed our server errors, BUT I still am having problems with Activesync on my PC... The phone "connects", "Looks for changes" and (after initiating a GPRS connection) never syncs... Why would activesync, while connected, let the phone initiate a GPRS connection to syncronize?? My phone syncs normally, as scheduled while not connected to my PC, but as soon as I plug in the USB cable, it won't sync?? This is annoying. Our IT guy has no ideas (and doesn't really care!!). He says the "activesync client sucks and if the phone syncs over the air, the server and exchange are working correctly"... of course he's probably right, but I want to sync on my PC like I always have been able to do. Any one else ever have this problem??
franman
Does anybody think that it is normal for AtiveSync to synchronize over "the air" (GPRS) when connected to a workstation via USB and syncing to Exchange?? I am starting to feel this is the way it's supposed to work. The other items I've been looking at are the options under Connections/Connections/ how to connect to the internet?? There are settings for MediaNet network, which always connects to the internet (GPRS) and for my local exchange network which was always set for connecting to the local network... I'm gonna play with this tomorrow at the office.

I've been digging through all the M/S articles I can find on A/S problems and exchange... I'm really stumped as to why this stopped working. I should probably just to a Hard reset.... but I really don't have the time....
asymtrax
I have the exact same issues. I have tried every possible configuration of settings with no luck.
asymtrax
The solution that you have been looking for is here. After hours and hours of confiuration changes here is what to do to get active sync to work via usb, wifi, bluetooth, and gprs without switching network settings. (finally)

Set all network adapters to internet not work
Set active sync pass through to internet not work
Set both connections to my isp
copy your media net settings to a new modem on my isp

ie. in my isp enter a new modem named whatever you want i used cingular
modem = gprs
>hit next
access point = wap.cingular
>hit next
user = WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
password = leave this blank
domain = leave this blank
>hit advanced
use server assigned ip
check use ip headder compression
>hit ok
>hit finished
>hit ok

now you are good to go. I dont understand why the media net settings dont work but here is the fix.
stormj
Here are the things that you need to have set correctly in order to get ActiveSync / Exchange working correctly with any SmartPhone.

(1) On the server itself, you have to enable a particular user to have that option.
(2) That server has to have an open port through a firewall for it (sometimes these aren't otherwise web servers).
(3) Each and every virtual server on the IIS has to be set for the right permission and authentication methods. this is the #1 problem you'll find. changing things on your phone will rarely get past these issues. the default installed exchange server options work. If they've been tinkered with, good luck.
(4) make sure that servers own cert is installed on your phone (not just the CA cert. the whole chain).
(5) there's no wierdness with different logon names/email aliases, though this is allegedly fixed in SP2 of Exchange 2003

The settings on the phone are almost never the problem. They're pretty straightforward. In my extensive experience, someone has afro engineered the exchange server 99% of the time.
franman
QUOTE (asymtrax @ Jun 7 2006, 03:59 PM) *
The solution that you have been looking for is here. After hours and hours of confiuration changes here is what to do to get active sync to work via usb, wifi, bluetooth, and gprs without switching network settings. (finally)

modem = gprs
>hit next
>hit next
>hit advanced
use server assigned ip
>hit ok
>hit finished
>hit ok

now you are good to go. I dont understand why the media net settings dont work but here is the fix.

It's interesting cause it all works fine on my laptop now. I had to repair Activesync via Add or Remove Software in Control Panel, and then it worked.. openned all the appropriate ports in McAfee (both of these tips via MS site), did same "procedure" on my desktop but stil won't connect on the desktop..

It doesn't appear to be a setup issue on the phone, OR the server (see previous post).. just something on my desktop?? And it used to work fine.. I dunno... now, I basically charge the phone on my desktop and just let it sync over the air when not connected via USB.. I can always sync via USB on the laptop, but it's weird that I can't get it to connect on both computers.. something installed on the desktop interfering?? it's not Mcafee as I have the same version and settings on both computers.. toooo much time and energy on this annoying issue!!
jabberwocky
StormJ,

Got everything done, EXCEPT for the dang certificate. I've tried the cert from the CA and the cert directly from the Exchange server...both considered invalid. Has ANYONE gotten this to work with a home grown cert? I really don't feel like paying VeriSign $3K for a cert just so I can ActiveSync.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jabberwocky

QUOTE (asymtrax @ Jun 7 2006, 03:59 PM) *

modem = gprs
>hit next
>hit next
>hit advanced
use server assigned ip
>hit ok
>hit finished
>hit ok

GreyFox
QUOTE (jabberwocky @ Jun 16 2006, 09:19 PM) *
StormJ,

Got everything done, EXCEPT for the dang certificate. I've tried the cert from the CA and the cert directly from the Exchange server...both considered invalid. Has ANYONE gotten this to work with a home grown cert? I really don't feel like paying VeriSign $3K for a cert just so I can ActiveSync.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jabberwocky

You're not getting the root certificate properly imported. You need to follow the following steps:
1. Run MMC on the CA server.
2. File, Add/Remove Snap-in.
3. Add... select Certification Authority, and select Local Computer.
4. Finish, Close, OK.
5. In MMC, right-click the CA, select Properties. View Certificate, go to
Details tab, select Copy to File...
6. Next, make sure DER encoded binary is selected, Next, put something like
"c:\rootcert".
7. Finish and you're done. Copy it to the phone, run it and you're done. Make sure that you run the certificate just like you would an application. It's easy to overlook this step.

It's actually a little more complicated than that, as you have to unlock the phone first. Check out the following:
http://www.1-script.com/forums/Guide-to-Ce...e-5-Smartphones
and
http://www.modaco.com/INFO_Decert_SIM_Unlo...50-t222786.html.

You will find all the information that you need there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.