Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Verizon Treo 700w - AKU2 / MSFP - Available NOW!
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > General > Announcements > Home Page News
The Undude
Click to view attachment

Treo 700w - AKU2 / MSFP - Available NOW!
Ladies and Gentlemen - the moment Palm Treo 700w owners have been waiting for - the Palm Treo 700w Updater for AKU2 / MSFP is now available. Please note there are two sets of instructions:

1) Alternate instructions for Wireless Sync users
2) Instructions for everyone else.

The Palm® Treo™ 700w Updater 1.10 for Verizon Wireless includes the following enhancements:

* Includes Microsoft®'s Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) with Direct Push Technology¹ for automatic wireless synchronization of email, calendar, contacts and, now, tasks² (learn more)
* Enhances email capabilities for more support of push email solutions, such as WirelessSync and GoodLink™, and of synchronization capabilities, such as the ability to maintain an "always on" data connection after POP or IMAP email synchronization and the ability to auto-synchronize all email accounts based on user setting².
* Updated memory management
* Pictures and Videos enhancements
* New Wireless Manager provides an updated interface for turning wireless radios on and off on your 700w smartphone

Click here to get the Palm Treo 700w AKU2 / MSFP Update.

If you use Verizon's Wireless Sync service to synchronize your Treo 700w smartphone, and have never synchronized to your desktop PC using the sync cable, you will need to follow these alternate instructions to update your device.

Very early report from MGN Moderator "Smeg" is that this is cool stuff! He says, "I'm traveling right now, but was able to download and install the update on my layover. So far it seems pretty great. The push email is working like a charm, and the RAM seems to start with a higher number and leak a little less. Hopefully this will really help the 700w become the superior device it is."

Palm note that, "After running the Treo 700w Updater for Verizon Wireless, some Settings and Preferences may have been modified. Some changed settings include:

- Call Log filters were set to ALL instead of the previous setting.
- View By setting in Contacts that were set to Company, was changed to View By Name.
- Sounds and Notifications settings were checked where they were previously unchecked.
- Background picture setting “Use this picture:” was unchecked. (Settings\ Personal tab\ Today).
- Phone Lock Code set to default (Start\Settings\Phone\Security\Change lock code)
- These Settings and Preferences will need to be changed back manually to the desired setting after your smartphone has been updated.

Engadget are stating, "Palm advises you absolutely do not restore from Sprite Backup backups if you've backed up your registry. We can imagine why, so we suggest you heed their advice if you're the WinMo registry hacking type." That's to say, restoring pre-Update registry settings on your Updated device may cause some conflicts that could get you tied in knots.

The whole process process takes upto 35 minutes, starting with downloading the 35MB Palm Treo 700w Updater 1.10.

NOTE: Don't forget the Treo 700w Webinar: "Direct Push E-Mail on Verizon" - April 26th.

Source: Palm, via MGN regulars nickpoore and KingDaddy.
The Undude
It seems the A2DP "stereo bluetooth" capability is NOT contained in this update. But the ability for an adminstrator to wipe a work-provided/supported Treo remotely does work.
smeg36
You're correct, no A2DP. There is already talk of modding the Universal AKU2 ROM that does include the A2DP for the 700w though. I know this has been done with some other devices that lack this feature, so it may yet be possible. In addition to the AKU2 update released today there is an update for Picsel PDF Viewer, and Sprite Backup is available for free to all 700w users!
nickpoore
FYI.

My upgrade took 22min to do the actual upgrade, and then a few minutes to do the reboot.

Most of what I do with this phone is server activesync, with photo's and other files stored on my SD card.
I therefore have no real data on my phone.

So, immediately after my upgrade, I did a hard reset, and reloaded everything.
Having said that, after the upgrade (before the reset) all my settings and content still seemed to be okay.

I accidentally left my SD card in the slot during the upgrade, and it caused no problems.

After the upgrade, things have worked great.
I had to reset my bluetooth headsets, but that was no big deal.
The exchange activesync works great, as it did before, but now I can simply set it sync "as items arive" and stuff just works. Gotta love that.
I ran a test, and I generally had the phone start to sync within about 10s of receiving the message in my outlook inbox.

Overall, everything has been great.
Slacker
QUOTE (nickpoore @ Apr 20 2006, 03:49 AM) *
The exchange activesync works great, as it did before, but now I can simply set it sync "as items arive" and stuff just works. Gotta love that.
I ran a test, and I generally had the phone start to sync within about 10s of receiving the message in my outlook inbox.

How is this different from the SMS triggered pull method? Sounds to me like there is no difference.
smeg36
Well, obviously it doesn't use SMS, but other than that I've noticed no real difference. Activesync loads directly on a soft reset to work for push. You don't have to enter your SMS delivery number anymore, just tell it to sync items as they arrive and it will. It seems to work a second quicker as well.

Nickpoore, after the hard reset do you no longer have the Palm UpdInfo in your Remove Programs list? I don't know exactly what it does, or if I can remove it, but I want to if I can.
nickpoore
QUOTE (Slacker @ Apr 20 2006, 04:50 AM) *
How is this different from the SMS triggered pull method? Sounds to me like there is no difference.

Obviously; it doesn't use SMS.

The explain how it works.
Normally, when WM5 launches activesync, it opens an internet connection, and then creates an HTTPS connection to the Exchange server. Once the sync has finished it disconnects.
When using the always up to date feature, this is slighly different...
After performing a sync, the HTTPS connection to the server is left open.
Even though the connection is left open, it is not transmitting, and does not use any additional battery power to keep this connection open.
Then, if the server receives a new email, the server uses the same HTTPS channel to tell the phone that there are new messages, and the phone then runs another sync.
If the connection drops (ie you make a phone call, or enter a bad coverage area) then the phone will automatically try to connect to the server after a few minutes.

Today was my first day with this feature running.
My phone has used the typical battery life, and the battery seems to be about as run down as normal.

Performance.
I use Outlook 2003 on my laptop, in cached exchange mode, using HTTPS proxy to sync from outside of my network.
Generally, when I got a notification on my laptop that there was new email, my phone would do the same within a few seconds.
Several times, the phone notified me of new email before my laptop.
I found that if I sent myself an email, my phone generally notified me in about 10 seconds.

Things to consider about the new feature.
The new system should not affect your bandwidth; if anything you can save some data transfer as the phone is not checking in as often; it's waiting to be contacted by the server.
The new system no longer requires SMS notification, would could easily add up to several hundred SMS messages a month; possibly several thousand.

-=Nick=-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.