Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using the 8125 on former AT&T Network!
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > PocketPC Phone Edition > HTC Phone Edition Devices
danrw84
Hello everyone.
I am considering buying the 8125 tomorrow at cingular, unlocking it, and using it with my AT&T wireless service.
I dont want to re-sign a contract right now, and I have an AWESOME plan with the old AT&T.
My question is, what will, and will not work with this phone? I take it the data services (email, internet etc) wont work unless im using the WiFi.
Anyone have any expierence or thoughts?
Thanks in advance, look forward to replies.

Dan
Sean
I am using an unlocked 8125 with a blue sim card and accessing the mMode network. It is not a trivial setup but it is very possible. I plan to write up a FAQ on this by the end of the weekend.
danrw84
Really, sweet. Are you enjoying the phone? Can I ask you where you purchased yours? Im considering getting one tomorrow at cingular, $450.00 without contract. Ouch...
nwadude23
QUOTE (Sean @ Mar 1 2006, 08:30 PM) *
I am using an unlocked 8125 with a blue sim card and accessing the mMode network. It is not a trivial setup but it is very possible. I plan to write up a FAQ on this by the end of the weekend.

I just read some great reviews of the 8125... but I dont know yet who/how the best way to unlock it might be... how did you unlock yours?
Sean
http://www.imei-check.co.uk is my unlocker of choice, you can do it on your own with software but there is too much risk of creating a brick in my view. imei-check works every time, no problems.
slam
QUOTE (Sean @ Mar 1 2006, 08:30 PM) *

Hey, Sean.. I'm really looking forward to that FAQ. I'm struggling with my new, unlocked 8125 on my old ATTWS account. I unlocked it myself, smooth & easy. Getting data working, however, is another matter.

Thanks in advance.
lakandula
QUOTE (danrw84 @ Mar 1 2006, 12:14 PM) *
Hello everyone.
I am considering buying the 8125 tomorrow at cingular, unlocking it, and using it with my AT&T wireless service.
I dont want to re-sign a contract right now, and I have an AWESOME plan with the old AT&T.
My question is, what will, and will not work with this phone? I take it the data services (email, internet etc) wont work unless im using the WiFi.
Anyone have any expierence or thoughts?
Thanks in advance, look forward to replies.

Dan

I have an unlock i-mate K-Jam and using it with my old ATTWS service. I can see my Yahoo Mobile (Mail, Messenger, Search, Sports, etc) and MSN Mobile (also Mail, etc) via GPRS or Wi-Fi. But I cannot connect to mMode or sign up/use MMS. I guess MMS is not supported in the old ATTWS network anymore, one way for Cingular to force ATTWS users to move to Cingular which I'd be foolish to do because I have a great ATTWS plan. Hope this help.
abatis
Hopefully the setup is something we can convert to a CAB for easy install.
Gena Ziskind
QUOTE (lakandula @ Mar 17 2006, 12:44 AM) *
I have an unlock i-mate K-Jam and using it with my old ATTWS service. I can see my Yahoo Mobile (Mail, Messenger, Search, Sports, etc) and MSN Mobile (also Mail, etc) via GPRS or Wi-Fi. But I cannot connect to mMode or sign up/use MMS. I guess MMS is not supported in the old ATTWS network anymore, one way for Cingular to force ATTWS users to move to Cingular which I'd be foolish to do because I have a great ATTWS plan. Hope this help.

Please tell us how to do it. I am struggling to get 8125 GPRS working on ATT network. Any help/tutorial is appreciated
jaward
i too would like to use my blue sim card from ATT wireless. my company pays for the unlimited data plan so i wanna take advantage of the EDGE connection.
jaward
i hope this helps people get it working....

http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board/messa....id=80478#M3103
jaward
i used that link I provided in my last reply...and got it working. its nice to have the EDGE.

dumb question:

so everytime i want to switch between WiFi and GPRS data I have to into the Connections->Advanced tab to Select Networks and switch between MyISP(wifi) or mMode(my GPRS data setup)?

this is after u go into Connection Mgr to enable Wifi.

thanks
omega2008
I don't have to do that. I turn on Wi-fi and it will use Wi-fi and if the Wi-fi signal is out of reach it swtich back to GPRS automatically and then back to Wi-fi once a Wi-fi signal is found. Likewise when I turn off Wi-fi GPRS is still activated and there is no need to switch between MyISP and MediaNet. Make sure your wireless connection connects to The Internet, not the Work Connection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.