Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cingular 2125 build quality question
Mobile Gadget News :: Making Your Mobile Life Simpler > Microsoft SmartPhones > HTC Hurricane, Robbie & Tornado
mar2k
I just got my 2125 and I am loving it despite lack of Wifi. I bailed on getting an SP5 because I was worried about what would happen if I ever needed service for it. At least with the 2125 I can just go exchange it with Cingular as long as its still under warranty.

My questions are as follows...

1) I have the same complaint as everyone else about the power button. Its a crazy design to be so hard to press but I probably won't be turning my phone completely off very often. When I press the button, the plastic piece (hump cover?) with the ridges that surrounds the power button flexes inward with the pressure needed to turn the unit on and off. The whole things feels solid, but I guess that just worried me because it seems to flex when pressed on the left side. The other/right side does not seem to have that kind of flex. Is this the case for every unit?

2) Also when I hold the unit and look straight down or from the side in a dark room I can see light leaking from the tiny gaps in the casing. The network lights also you can see leaking out the side especially in a dark room. Just want to make sure this is normal as well. I guess that worried me since people complained about dust with the SMT5600 getting under the screen.

Other than that it seems very well built and solid, though I am not sure the long term prospects for the joystick after much use, again why I went with the 2125 over paying extra for the i-Mate. I am sure that my unit is probably like all the others but it always helps to hear it from other people to know for sure. Thanks! smile.gif
The Undude
With regard to pressing the power button, it seems there may be a little trick to it. Like yourself, some people have complained about how hard it is to press. Others seem to have no problem, and have actively remarked that while they have read about problems, they themselves have experienced no difficulty.

If I remember correctly, the "trick" may have something to do with pressing slightly "forward" as you depress the button. Good luck.

As to the build quality of the 2125, I've not seen one yet. No review has mentioned anything like you have either. Which means they probably haven't tried to do what you've done!

Also, as to keeping the 2125 clean, I've not seen anything yet but I expect soon enough various "form-fitting" cases for the 2125 will appear. Getting one of those will enclose the device from outside wetness and dust pretty well. And you won't see light leaking out any longer too! :-)
net_bull
QUOTE (mar2k @ Jan 30 2006, 09:00 AM)
1) I have the same complaint as everyone else about the power button. Its a crazy design to be so hard to press but I probably won't be turning my phone completely off very often.  When I press the button, the plastic piece (hump cover?) with the ridges that surrounds the power button flexes inward with the pressure needed to turn the unit on and off. The whole things feels solid, but I guess that just worried me because it seems to flex when pressed on the left side. The other/right side does not seem to have that kind of flex.  Is this the case for every unit?

2) Also when I hold the unit and look straight down or from the side in a dark room I can see light leaking from the tiny gaps in the casing.  The network lights also you can see leaking out the side especially in a dark room. Just want to make sure this is normal as well. I guess that worried me since people complained about dust with the SMT5600 getting under the screen.

To answer question 1, I had complained about the power button from day 1 but pretty much got used to it. My theory is that the left side of the hump is hollow behind it and the contact/connector for the power sits somewhat closer to the front of the phone, and the power button just sticks out a bit to make it easier for you to press. In fact, you can power on/off by not touching the power button and just press on the left side of the hump. (the area between left edge and actual power button) The right side of the hump has something behind it so pretty solid. It helps if you have a bit of nail to press the power button "down and towards yourself" (almost a pull) rather than press "back towards the natural curve of the hump"

As for the second question, I haven't really looked that closely and the office here is too bright to test. I bought a screen protector from Boxwave that's really nice for this phone and don't think I will worry about dust too much. As with my other phone, I move on way before they get too dusty - inside.. smile.gif

HTH.
Steve
omega2008
I just press the power button inwards and it works fine for me. As for seeing the lights from the LED's thru the phones seems and what not, it is normal. Remember these devices are not "sealed" so you will see lights thru the gap, no big deal. More of an indicator not to get the phone wet.

I have no dust in mine so far, hopefull that won't be a problem down the road.
nbercasio
the trick with the power is to push it towards the screen not inward///
omega2008
Inward works for me, for others your milage may varry.
tarponfly
like everyone said above, just press the power button downward and it works great, but you have to realize that then entire ridged black piece is the power button, not the circular part....so while it looks like it is flexing it's not....the circular "power" button is attached to the ridged part...it's all one big button. As far as the build quality goes, mine is extremely solid built, no gaps, or anything...if you compare it to other phones on the market I think HTC ranks in the top 5% as far as physical build quality goes.
mar2k
QUOTE (tarponfly @ Jan 31 2006, 06:12 PM)
like everyone said above, just press the power button downward and it works great, but you have to realize that then entire ridged black piece is the power button, not the circular part....so while it looks like it is flexing it's not....the circular "power" button is attached to the ridged part...it's all one big button.  As far as the build quality goes, mine is extremely solid built, no gaps, or anything...if you compare it to other phones on the market I think HTC ranks in the top 5% as far as physical build quality goes.

Well thanks for all the replies. I at least feel better that my unit is normal. I see what you are saying about this being "one big button" as it does appear to be attached to the ridged piece so it appears the flexing is a non-issue. Wonderful phone overall I am loving this thing....everyone I have shown it to is wanting to buy one!
smeg36
I got the chance to finally check one out in the Cingular store recently, and I see what you guys are talking about with the power button. Not very well designed. But overall the phone is incredible. I was drooling all over the place. That screen is incredible!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.