post Feb 14 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

As originally reported in this thread by MGN member lil14kid, there is preliminary success using a particular 4gb mini SD card in the following devices:

Cingular 2125
i-mate SP5m
T-Mo SDA

The cards used in all three devices were all purchased from the same ebay seller "3c_pro" and are all sold under the name "TopRam".

I'm saying this is "preliminary success" 'cuz I've read posts on other sites by users who have had mixed success using 4gb cards (all different makers though - none of those were TopRam). And, I've been reading mostly about T-Mo SDA's to be specific. Some 4gb cards did not work at all and there was at least one report of a different brand name card that started out well but eventually the device slowed so much the user reported it as "unusable".

I'll post back when I've had some time to see how it behaves (in my primary device, the SP5m). <fingers crossed>

Until then, here's a few screen shots to show how the card reports in my two devices.

Here it is in my i-mate SP5m (basically the same phone as a T-Mo SDA)
Attached Image

And, here it is in my T-Mo MDA
Attached Image

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 15 2007, 01:08 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Sweet news! I may try one of these for my Q. I can't believe how cheap a 4GB miniSD card is now. The first storage card I ever bought for a PDA was a 256MB SD (the largest available at the time was 512MB), and it was $90 shipped. It's great to see the prices on this dropping. Maybe 8GB is coming soon to drive the price down.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 16 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

The first day I had the 4G card it was playing the new MP3s I'd loaded on to the card without a problem. Then, it started freezing after about an hour of play and I had to pull the battery to reset the device.

It seems like it might like WMAs better than MP3 music files. Still testing...

I'll post again once all my files are in WMA format to say if that stopped the freezing issue.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 16 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Hmm...during the process of deleting all the MP3s I found 3 folders that I couldn't delete because they were "corrupted" (can't remember the exact error message...but, it included the word "corrupted").

One of the folders was one I was using for testing everytime I ran it earlier. So, maybe that is/was the problem? mad.gif <fingers crossed>

I formated the 4G card and got no error messages and it's reporting the entire disk size correctly. I've started over reloading it with all my shiny new WMA files. rolleyes.gif Oh man, what a process THAT was, and the MP3s might not have been the problem at all. Oh well...

---
edited to add: I just ran a DOS CHKDSK on the 4G card and it's good (no bad sectors or anything like that). <whew>

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 17 2007, 03:25 AM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

If anything, it's worse now. It played about 5 songs then froze. I pulled the battery and restarted, but it didn't boot correctly twice and when it finally did boot right, when I tried to bring up the task manager the phone froze again. I went through this routine twice and then called it quits.

Looks like it doesn't work in my i-mate SP5m after all. Whaaaaaaaaaaah! wink.gif

I've got it in my T-Mo MDA right now and it's been playing for awhile. We'll see...

--------------------

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Feb 17 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #6

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,763
Phone: Cingular 8125

not to discourage you or anything but my 4gb still works great and it has never froze

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 19 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Feb 16 2007, 07:25 PM) *
I've got it in my T-Mo MDA right now and it's been playing for awhile. We'll see...
Used it all weekend in the MDA without a hitch. It works really great in the MDA.
I've been thinking about lil14kid's success and the failure of it to run in my i-mate when both our phones are pretty much the same. They have a few differences of course, which may be the cause. But, I'm wondering if it's something in some software (conflict) I have on mine? So, I'm going to try a hard reset and see if the 4g runs in my phone with all the factory settings in place and no extra software.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 20 2007, 03:59 AM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Nope. After hard resetting my i-mate SP5m and running the 4GB card with no extra software on the phone or any reg edits etc., it still won't run for very long (about 20 minutes) before it freezes. It is however, still running like a champ in the MDA.

You win some, you lose some...and, so it goes.

Now, I have an MDA with 4G of memory (a TON of music (33.25 hours) + some video and still has room for more) - but keeps turning the bluetooth off on it's own.

- Or, -

I have an SP5m with only 2G of memory (obviously less music...only wink.gif 16.5 hours worth + some video and still has some room for more) and functional bluetooth.

I gave the stats in case there's anyone reading this wondering how much music fits on these cards.

Darn, I really wish I could get the bluetooth to stay on on the MDA. sad.gif Until then, I'm sticking with the SP5m. Half a ton of music is still LOTS!

--------------------

+Quote Post
andrewpiner
post Mar 6 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,156
Phone: Cingular 8125
PocketPC: None
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen

Hey All,

Here are my $0.02...

I have an off the shelf, bought from Amazon Cingular 2125 and I just bought the cheapest 4GB miniSD I could find off ebay. I put it into my laptop to transfer over my music files(mostly mp3 with a few wma) and then put the drive into my phone and I was able to play music just fine. I have since been transferring my audio books from Audible and those are playing just fine also(I had to download a smaller stream file because of the software issues, but they play just fine).

The only thing I would note is that when I put it into my laptop, it asked me to format the drive and I did so as Fat32.

I haven't had any long term play issues, but then I never listen to music longer than my lunchbreak anyways.

I hope this helps some...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:00 PM