Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 39
Phone: Dopod s300
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Other
PMC: Creative Zen

ilounge has coverage of today's MacWorld keynote in SF where Steve Jobs introduces the iPhone to be available through Cingular by this coming June:

Check out the details they've picked up:
  • Touchscreen interface
  • No physical buttons
  • Runs Mac OS X -- Apps, syncing, networking, multi-tasking, video, etc.
  • Everything synced -- iTunes music and videos, Mac data, email, notes, etc.
  • Hi-res screen -- 160ppi
  • Thinner than any smartphone -- including Motorola Q and Samsung BlackJack
  • 2 megapixel camera built-in
  • Dock connector port
  • Wifi or EDGE service -- switches automatically.
  • Widescreen video
  • 3-D effects
  • Full-screen album art
  • 4GB or 8GB of storage
  • "visual voicemail."
  • Quadband GSM+EDGE
  • Bluetooth 2
  • One-touch conference calling
  • SMS texting -- text messages with multiple sessions for multiple people at once
  • Keyboard does error prevention and correction.
  • Safari web browser
  • Rich HTML email works with IMAP and POP
  • Google Maps. Weather, calculator, stock widgets
  • Yahoo to provide free Push IMAP email service for iPhone users
  • Safari has multiple browser windows, bookmarks. Satellite and street map images on screen with Google Maps.
  • Google search built-in too.
  • Accessories for iPhone include stereo earbuds like iPod's with microphone. Bluetooth headset with automatic pairing.
  • Battery life: 5 hours of talk time, video or browsing. 16 hours of audio playback.
Price: 4GB model for $499, 8GB model for $599, each with 2-year contract.

Three letters for ya... O M G! Oh and all the thoughts running through my head on this one!

Our own c0w is at MacWorld and plans to post pics and coverage as soon as he is able!

In the meantime, you might want to pay the folks at ilounge a visit.

Or Yahoo! Tech

--------------------
Rey Flores
Microsoft MVP: Windows - Mobile Devices
Editor Emeritus - MGN
Blogs: Reydio Static / Smartphone & PPC Magazine Expert Blog
Chair: http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com
Board of Experts: http://www.PocketPCmag.com/awards
Mobile Community Series Co-Host: http://www.computeroutlook.com

Primary Devices: T-Mobile Dash
Alternate Devices: Sidekick 3/i-mate JASJAR
Mobile Accessories: Aliph Jawbone/Samsung WEP200/Scala 500, ALK Co-Pilot GPS receiver, Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard, Microsoft Zune, Sony PSP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jan 9 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

iPhone is a revolutionary (According to Apple) new mobile phone that allows you to make a call by simply pointing your finger at a name or number in your address book, a favorites list, or a call log. It also automatically syncs all your contacts from a PC, Mac, or Internet service. And it lets you select and listen to voicemail messages in whatever order you want — just like email.

Phone is a widescreen iPod with touch controls that lets you enjoy all your content — including music, audiobooks, videos, TV shows, and movies — on a beautiful 3.5-inch widescreen display. It also lets you sync your content from the iTunes library on your PC or Mac. And then you can access it all with just the touch of a finger.

MusicMusic
Scroll through your songs, artists, albums, and playlists with just a flick of a finger. Album artwork is dramatically presented on the large display. And now use Cover Flow to browse your music library by album artwork for the first time on an iPod.

VideoVideo
iPhone’s stunning 3.5-inch widescreen display is the ultimate way to watch TV shows and movies from the iTunes Store on a pocketable device. Just tap the touch controls for play/pause, chapter forward/backward, and volume.

iPhone features a rich HTML email client and Safari — the most advanced web browser ever on a portable device — which automatically syncs bookmarks from your PC or Mac. Safari also includes built-in Google and Yahoo! search. iPhone is fully multi-tasking, so you can read a web page while downloading your email in the background over Wi-Fi or EDGE.

SafariSafari Web Browser
With its advanced Safari browser, iPhone lets you see any web page the way it was designed to be seen, then easily zoom in by simply tapping on the multi-touch display with your finger.

MailMail
iPhone uses a rich HTML email client that fetches your email in the background from most POP3 or IMAP mail services and displays photos and graphics right along with the text.

MapsGoogle Maps
With Google Maps and iPhone’s amazing Maps application, you can view maps and satellite images, or get directions and traffic information, all from iPhone’s remarkable, easy-to-use touch interface.

WidgetsWidgets
iPhone even has widgets: small applications that give you helpful information like stock reports, weather reports, and more in real time.

Safari Web Browser
With its advanced Safari browser, iPhone lets you see any web page the way it was designed to be seen, then easily zoom in by simply tapping on the multi-touch display with your finger.

Music
Scroll through your songs, artists, albums, and playlists with just a flick of a finger. Album artwork is dramatically presented on the large display. And now use Cover Flow to browse your music library by album artwork for the first time on an iPod.

Apple Site
Attached Image

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
c0w
post Jan 9 2007, 09:31 PM
Post #3

Super Moderator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 866
Phone: Palm Treo
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel
PocketPC: Toshiba
MP3 Player: iPod
PMC: Other

i had to leave early today... but i will definitely try to get some pictures of the iphone tomorrow!

--------------------
Editor | Super Moderator
Devices: HTC Mogul

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Jan 10 2007, 02:40 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

So, now that we have the real iPhone at hand, so to speak, here's a link collecting all the rumored designs. It's interesting to see how some of the rumors turn out to be quite close!

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Jan 10 2007, 02:45 AM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached ImageAttached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Jan 10 2007, 03:00 AM
Post #6

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Earlier rumors that the iPhone would be picked up by Cingular are seemingly true. Now, will this be the first Cingular phone to sell with Wi-Fi capabilities out of the box? Too bad it's only EDGE dataspeed capable.

Those same rumors had O2 carrying the iPhone in Europe. We'll see if this turns out to be the case.

And in many ways the most important question has finally been answered: Apple has ported OS X (or a version of it, details are not clear yet) to a smaller platform. If it's full OS X, then a ton of good things flow from that, including applications, drivers and interfaces.

In many ways this device fulfills the original idea behind The Newton.

The iPhone sure makes the Zune, Q and Blackjack look a little dowdy, huh? Now, I wonder what it's like "typing" on a surface like that? I suspect "buttons" will be prefered by some (mostly older) folks. The next people to invest in are the screen protector people like Invisible Shield. There's a lot of screen in that iPhone, and depending on the surface material, it's going to gather a lot of icky fingerprints unless it is covered by something like Invisible Shield.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Jan 10 2007, 04:00 AM
Post #7

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,753
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Dell

Cingular doesn't waste any time. They already have the iPhone on their site allowing people to sign up for more info when the iPhone officially comes out.

-->Cingular iPhone

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Jan 10 2007, 04:25 AM
Post #8

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,753
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Dell

Heres the question, who is planning on getting one?

I am not sure myself. Personally, I hate iTunes and Mac's are not exactly top of my list of favorite OS's. However, the features behind this phone attract me and the other phone companies better come up with something by June before iPhone grabs hold of the phone industry. We'll see what happens in June.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 10 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #9

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

QUOTE (The Undude @ Jan 9 2007, 07:00 PM) *
Now, I wonder what it's like "typing" on a surface like that? I suspect "buttons" will be prefered by some (mostly older) folks.
I guess that's me! laugh.gif Why do you think it will be just "older folks" who like buttons? I like buttons 'cuz they allow shortcuts to most everything I use most the time. I like anything that keeps me out of the menus!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 10 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (SkippyTheNurse @ Jan 9 2007, 08:25 PM) *
Heres the question, who is planning on getting one?
Well, I'd want to make sure the built-in music player can "shuffle" play before I laid down any $$$. laugh.gif tongue.gif 'Cuz, you never know, that might not be a feature until the next "generation". rolleyes.gif I agree with you Skippy, the specs are quite attractive.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 10 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Undude @ Jan 9 2007, 07:00 PM) *
...will this be the first Cingular phone to sell with Wi-Fi capabilities out of the box?
It's about time! (If true...and according to the Cingular site Skippy linked to, it is.) Now, if Apple deems WIFI worthy enough to include in their new wiz-bang device, it'd be great if all devices to follow do too!

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jan 10 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

So far here is the feedback from a few people who have had their hands on the iPhone

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
reydiodj
post Jan 10 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #13

MS-MVP / Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 39
Phone: Dopod s300
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Other
PMC: Creative Zen

After getting things to settle down in my mind about the iPhone, I have this take on it:

The success of this device is inevitable...for the consumer market.

I can't see this really doing well to cross into enterprise because of what Michael Gartenberg has already said about the iPhone:

It's not extensible by third parties, only Apple. The means at the moment no RSS readers, no Slingplayers"; and "There is no support for Microsoft Office attachments."

While Safari on the Mac is a great browser, Outlook Web Access isn't handled very well - I usually revert to Outlook Mobile Access.

What really gets me is that Steve Jobs said (and as it says on Apple's site) is that the iPhone is running OS X, yet it's abilities are limited - that is both good and bad. Gartenberg has already said the bad. The good is that Apple's limiting the focus of the device's capabilities so that they can do it well. This has worked for the iPod and what it has evolved into. This has also worked for the evolution of RIM's Blackberry and for Danger's Sidekick. RIM has an enterprise audience that it caters to and Danger has the consumer audience. Therefore, I really believe the iPhone is the Sidekick killer. Everything they've mentioned meets and surpasses everything the Sidekick does. Can you see Paris and Snoop with iPhones now!

The only attack I can see having been made is against the keyboards of Palm, RIM and Windows Mobile. On screen touch keyboards isn't new - I've used Spb's on my imate JAM, at least it was in landscape - and it also had auto word completetion...

So what is it with OS X? Is there a code name for this flavor of it? Is it upgradeable? 4Gb/8Gb...how much of it is user accessible? Although it has been said it is not extensible by 3rd parties, does this go for the Widgets too? There are a whole bunch of 3rd party Widgets I'd want to put on it - the Low Price Gas Finder Widget would be 1st on my list!

Windows Mobile devices will probably be attacked as a "Jack of all trades, yet master of none." And expect Apple to be praised as starting out right by doing what it says it can do - and doing it well. However, what cannot be denied is that Windows Mobile still has an edge in enterprise, industrial application, 3rd party development - heck, we can throw Palm in the mix here too. There are already WM devices w/GPS, 2Gb drives + Expansion ports out on the market already (HP)...PCs are getting smaller and some coming with GSM ports (Sony)...WM Smartphones are improving (HTC, Motorola, Samsung) - the evolution/convergence is coming.

Will I get one? Only if it can be unlocked! But I can easily see it would be my second phone and not my primary since my Dash syncs up with Exchange, or my Wizard or Universal should I need to do some server administration - which in my line of work, takes priority over songs and video.

smile.gif

--------------------
Rey Flores
Microsoft MVP: Windows - Mobile Devices
Editor Emeritus - MGN
Blogs: Reydio Static / Smartphone & PPC Magazine Expert Blog
Chair: http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com
Board of Experts: http://www.PocketPCmag.com/awards
Mobile Community Series Co-Host: http://www.computeroutlook.com

Primary Devices: T-Mobile Dash
Alternate Devices: Sidekick 3/i-mate JASJAR
Mobile Accessories: Aliph Jawbone/Samsung WEP200/Scala 500, ALK Co-Pilot GPS receiver, Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard, Microsoft Zune, Sony PSP

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:53 AM