Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

Well, I was lucky enough to get this nice review by nskgti

Review of the Cingular 2125 by nskgti:

So I was lucky enough to have a chance to have a Cingular 2125 (HTC Faraday) to play with for the weekend.  Initially I didnít think I would really be interested in this device as I plan on getting the 8125 (ie HTC Wizard) when it is released, but Iím very impressed by this device already.  As many have confirmed, the device does NOT have WiFi.  Iím actually ok with the lack of WiFi personally because the device actually posts some impressive speeds with EDGE.  The hump isnít the most esthetically pleasing feature on the phone, but from what Iíve been told it actually helps the 1900 frequency significantly. 

Form Factor:

The device is almost the exact size of the SMT5600.  The only real difference is the hump that protrudes out of the top.  The real difference between the two is the joystick.  While I have become comfortable with the SMT5600ís rocker switch, I really prefer the joystick on my devices.  The joystick on the 2125 is very easy to use.  There will be some learning curve with it as it is very sensitive, but it is much easier to pick up than the initial switch to the rocker pad.  Another addition is the addition of another key above the volume keys on the side.  This key brings you directly into the Comm. Manager application.  The keypad itself is a little larger than the SMT5600 and is very responsive.  It is definitely a step up from the keypad quality on the previous versions from HTC.

Screen:

I can officially say that Iím a QVGA convert.  Going to the 2125ís screen from the SMT5600 is like night and day.  The text and icons are crisp and clear and the color is very nice.  Browsing the web with the QVGA layout is great.  Pictures are clear as can be.  I wonít go so far as to compare this to the screen of my Sharp GX-32 (QVGA/262k colors), but it is the best smartphone screen I have seen to date. 

The OS:

ROM: 1.0.9.0
Operator: 1.8.42.14 (5.1.70.14406)
CPU: TI OMAP850 195MHz
RAM: 64MB
FLASH: 64MB
Available Storage: 15.33MB on a clean ROM
Total Storage: 20.94MB
Available Memory:  27.16MB
Total Memory:  45.05MB

This is my first experience with Windows Mobile 5.0 so pardon my lack of serious details.  I can say that it is very fast and responsive on this device.  The new ďgridĒ menu is very nice and easy to navigate.  There is a nice homescreen installed on the Cingular ROM called ďWireless HomescreenĒ.  It included a direct link to the Comm. Manager and shows if Bluetooth is on or off with a colored (red/green) icon.  The nice part about this is there is no need for the BTToggle application if you choose to use it.  Browsing the web with IE on this device is very nice also.  I like the progress bar incorporated in the new release of IE.  Included in the Cingular ROM is a direct link to the Goodlink application.  This is likely because of the Cingular/Good partnership.  I donít have my Goodlink set up on this device, but Iíve been told it runs very wellÖ

Connectivity:

Well the device doesnít have WiFi.  As I stated earlier, I donít really care.  With EDGE I have been seeing speeds between 150-210kb/s.  I ran 6 tests on the Mobile Speed Test at dslreports.com.  For the tests I selected either the 200kb or the 600kb file size.  I think they best represent actual speed of the device.  On average I would say I was seeing about 175kb/s for either file size.  Sure it would be nice to have the 1mb/s+ speeds of WiFi, but with the relatively low cost ($19.99) for unlimited data on Cingular, Iím ok with not having it.  With a device like the wizard which has a larger screen, it would be a different story, but the small screen really doesnít need it (IMHO).  If you HAVE to have WiFi, youíll be paying the $499 for the SP5(m) or waiting who knows how long for the TMobile device.

Overall impression:

While Iím still planning on getting the 8125 (Wiz), I think this is a definite contender for the ďBest SmartphoneĒ that Iíve used.  Some may say the upgrade from the SMT5600 is not enough, but I think the addition of the QVGA screen, EDGE, quad-band and Windows Mobile 5 is enough.  The device is responsive and has a very solid feel.  If you donít need a keyboard and prefer the Smartphone OS over the PocketPC OS, this is the device for you.  Iím still a firm believer that HTC is making the best Windows Mobile devices on the market.  My experience with the Motorola and Samsung Smartphone devices has been lack luster.  Until another manufacturer produces something of decent quality I will be sticking with HTC.

And nice pictures too:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jakaroe808
post Dec 4 2005, 02:20 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,402
Phone: MPx220
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC

Thank you nskgti.

--------------------

_______Pauly-A_______

-Damn, this thing is cool-

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 4 2005, 02:32 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Wow, thanks so much for the review, especially the pics. Normally I'm a fan of humps in general, but that one is a turn off. That seems to be the only drawback to an otherwise great device. I would have prefered wifi, but I completely understand the point you are getting at. My i730 has wifi, but I've only used it a handful of times because I have unlimited internet with EVDO. Those are some really good EDGE speeds to! I didn't think EDGE got that fast.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
rkdiddy
post Dec 4 2005, 03:26 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,467

Thanks nskgti23...

Great review. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

+Quote Post
edka
post Dec 4 2005, 11:12 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,348

great review keep up the work !!!

+Quote Post
nskgti
post Dec 4 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #6

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 337

So there are a few things I'd like to updated now that I've had the phone for 2 full days of usage...

First, the reception on this phone is AWESOME. I think I have only seen 3 bars once (4 being the max). All the calls I have made have been crystal clear also. I partially attibute this to Cingular's MASSIVELY improved network in the NYC area. In comparison on my SMT5600, I would regularly see 2-3 bars, but the voice quality had also improved on that. I think the sound quality is quite good on the SMT5600, but it could be a little louder and more clear. The 2125 fixes ALL of my complaints. The speaker is crystal clear and loud.

Battery life: Considering I have been playing with this thing constantly I would think the battery life would have been much lower, but it has been awesome. I would say it is possibly better than the 5600, which I could easily get 2 days of normal usage out of. This is even with the use of Goodlink which I think lowers the battery life because of the constant vibrating when emails arrive. I'm happy with what I've seen with the 2125.

Finally a little thing that I like is the GPRS/EDGE notification is nice. It shows an E for EDGE and a G for GPRS. This seems like such a small thing, but it is nice to know when you are connected to EDGE or not. And NO I haven't seen the G for GPRS yet, but I'm in downtown Manhattan and wouldn't expect to since the 850 EDGE network here is pretty much flooding my house (-50 db on the 8700 blackberry I had for testing a few weeks back)...

So as I said, if you want a Smartphone instead of a PocketPC I would definitely jump on this device. The lack of WiFi should not hold anyone back. In fact I would push people towards it because with a device this small (in turn a small battery) you will see much shorter battery live (probably under an hour) with it. EDGE is plenty fast for the small screen.

+Quote Post
fowen
post Dec 4 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #7

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 591
Phone: HTC Wizard
PocketPC: None

This was my first choice until I saw the actual size of the 8125. I didn't think they wouldbe able tomake a phone with all of it's features as small as they have.

I just hope the reception and features work as well as they do on the 2125... or I may have to switch back to the Smartphone Dark Side laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
pcman
post Dec 4 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,592
Phone: SMT5600
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

How is the
- Camera compared to the 5600
- Is the ringer louder then the Smt5600 ?

thanks

+Quote Post
grinny11
post Dec 4 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,353

i would agree with the review about wifi and edge. i have the wizard and i hardly ever use my wifi. i have wifi at school but i can't connect because the pocket ie won't log me with their web based log in. edge is good and sufficient for me

+Quote Post
fzara2000a
post Dec 4 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,609

I don't see the need for the hump. The Orange version does not has it, it makes the phone look extremelly ugly.

One question: Has the screen viewable angle been fixed? on the 5600 if you tilted the phone even slightly to the sides the screen looked dark also this made the screen uncofortable to the eyes (both eyes being at different anglees saw the screen in a diferent shade of contrast.)

fowen: Who is the girl in your avatar and where you got that video?

+Quote Post
freemz
post Dec 4 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,403
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

Is the wifi disabled or is it missing from the hardware?

+Quote Post
nskgti
post Dec 4 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #12

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 337

I've posted some photos taken by the camera over on Howard Forums. I will send them to the guys at MGN when I have a chance to...

+Quote Post
paschmitt
post Dec 5 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,232

First hand use:
Love the device! Good form factor even if it isn't a flip phone
Love WM5 - better Contacts; easy to use menu grid.
Earpiece volume, ringer volume, photo quality, BT connection all good.
Don't mind the hump, coming from an MPX220.

Interesting "feature" on the device I'm using involving the joystick and unlock. Curious if the unit I'm testing is the issue, or if anyone else has seen this.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 6 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

One thing I can't really tell from the pictures: is the hump solid like the MPx220 or hollow in the middle like the old Samsung on T-Mobile.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
paschmitt
post Dec 6 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,232

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Dec 5 2005, 05:49 PM)
One thing I can't really tell from the pictures: is the hump solid like the MPx220 or hollow in the middle like the old Samsung on T-Mobile.

The hump has the power button and a speaker grill on the face-side, and a slot that is hollow on the top-side of the device.

{sorry, never used the Samsung you reference}

+Quote Post
terrymorgan
post Dec 7 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,677

When is this phone supposed to be available for the general public, or when could I get one if I begged and pleaded.

I ordered the SMT 5600 last week on Tuesday from Cingular and they have now officially told me the phone is discontinued.

They know nothing about the 2125.

In addition to the phone I ordered about $200 worth of supporting gadgets like a SEDIO GPS Car Kit, cables for installing, and 512MB mini SD. So I am very ticked at the moment with Cingular.

Thanks for responding.

This post has been edited by terrymorgan: Dec 8 2005, 06:23 AM

+Quote Post
blueshockeynut
post Dec 8 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,686
MP3 Player: iPod Photo

Great review folks, to add to this I received my 2125 and the 8125 today for testing, having used the SMT5600 for awhile I have been impressed, but my first thing to do is really test the 8125 and see what it can do. More to follow..........

JB

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Dec 8 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #18

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600

The "Hump" is not solid. I read and saw pictures of the phone opened up and containing an aerial to better receive the 1900 MHz band (and not anything to do with Wi-Fi as had been rumored) - if only I could find the article now!!!

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
butzchan
post Dec 9 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,546
PocketPC: Other

QUOTE (blueshockeynut @ Dec 8 2005, 01:42 PM)
Great review folks, to add to this I received my 2125 and the 8125 today for testing, having used the SMT5600 for awhile I have been impressed, but my first thing to do is really test the 8125 and see what it can do.  More to follow..........

JB

Does this mean that the 8125 will be out in 7-10 days?? If so, when will the non B2B customers be able to purchase the 8125? Thanks!

+Quote Post
blueshockeynut
post Dec 9 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,686
MP3 Player: iPod Photo

QUOTE (butzchan @ Dec 9 2005, 10:18 AM)
Does this mean that the 8125 will be out in 7-10 days??  If so, when will the non B2B customers be able to purchase the 8125?  Thanks!

I have not received a firm release date on the 8125 at this point, but am looking into it.

JB

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd July 2020 - 02:46 PM