IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> T-Mobile SDA - MPX220 Comparison (Help), Need a comparison of feature implimentation
armwood
post Mar 31 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,569
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Creative Zen

I am considering upgrading from a MPX220 to a T-Mobile SDA. On the MPX220 I am using Asian Rom 3.46. I have heard that the key pad on the SDA is difficult to use. Is this true? In the Mobile Techs review the reviewer complained about the sound quality of the SDA playing music files. I use my MPX220 as my small mp3 player. My large player is a Creative Labs Zen Xtra 60gb. How does the audio quality of the MPX220 compare to the sound quality of the T-Mobile SDA. I am a discriminating listener who listens primarily to acoustic jazz. I use Shure E4 earbuds.

Thanks, folks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
armwood
post Mar 31 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #2

The review in Brighthand mentioned the criticism of the SDA audio quality for music files.

+Quote Post
robgreen
post Apr 4 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,014
Phone: HTC Hurricane
PocketPC: Other

I suggest going to a T-mobile store and checking it out for yourself. I did that and the SDA sold itself. The keys are a little close but I'll get used to it. the sound was fine for me, but I'm just happy to have music on my phone. good luck.

+Quote Post
armwood
post Apr 4 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (robgreen @ Apr 4 2006, 05:28 PM) *
I suggest going to a T-mobile store and checking it out for yourself. I did that and the SDA sold itself. The keys are a little close but I'll get used to it. the sound was fine for me, but I'm just happy to have music on my phone. good luck.

I have been to the store but playing with a phone in the store is different from owning it over time. I wanted comments from a MPX220 owner, who had updated the rom on the MPX220 so it worked well, to compare its perfomance with the T-Mobile SDA.

+Quote Post
kampf
post Apr 5 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,575
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
MP3 Player: iPod

Unless there's an adapter that I'm unaware of (which is entirely possible), standard headphone/earbuds will not plug into the SDA.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Apr 6 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

There is. I use one with all my Windows Mobile devices. I got mine on ebay for about $10. It's a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
armwood
post Apr 6 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Apr 5 2006, 09:32 PM) *
There is. I use one with all my Windows Mobile devices. I got mine on ebay for about $10. It's a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.

The adapter works very well with Smeg's old MPX220, sounds great with my Shure E4 earbuds. Pick up on Ebay the adapter with the bend in it.

+Quote Post
isnoop
post Apr 14 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,522
Phone: MPx220

I just stopped using my MPx200 for an SDA. So far, I'm pleased with most of the features, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the whole stick phone thing.

The SDA sacrificed having a usable and reasonably sized buttons like the MPx220 in exchange for a slightly bigger screen (a bonus) and not having a flip (a huge drawback). Unfortunately, there isn't much on the market right now for flip smartphones, so I suppose I'll have to stick with this phone.

+Quote Post
stark
post Apr 30 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,624

I migrated from the mpx220- first to an smt5600, now to the sda. heres the story:

- owning over time, the main advantage of the sda (had it since feb) is the SCREEN. its really amazing, and totally blows away the mpx220 as well as the smt5600 (which itself was already better than mpx220). this is because as you use the phone, you love it, you read more online and the screen makes you want to, not scared to, browse the web
- sound quality is great. on my smt5600 i had a little TICK TICK noise problem every now and again. never on the sda yet. sometimes, and this is weird, i hear a sqeak in the headphones, but after MUCH analysis i have determined that it is the PHYSICAL earbud squeaking. so if you dont use the OEM headset, shouldnt be a problem.
- the keys are actually great if you have skinny fingers (i do). otherwise i cant comment, i dont have fat hands. but i will say that if you use the phone for mp3 (i do, its my only mp3 player with a 1gb card in it), then you will LOVE the media buttons. i know people think theyre useless, but i dont. when i want to skip a track, even if the phones been in my pocket for hours, i just reach in and click track forward, and its easy and quick to do, no looking at the phone. with mpx220 you gotta open up the whole thing as i recall.
- only gripe about the keyboard is the joystick. i actually found the smt5600 rocker easier to push down, this one messes up a bit. i do miss that HUGE blue circle on the 220.

good luck!

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 29 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Carrier: Alltel

A couple weeks ago I made the jump from a 220 using the Asian ROM to the SDA (actually an i-mate SP5m which is the same phone in different packaging). As per OP's questions regarding keypad use and audio quality I say the keypad isn't as tough to use as it LOOKS like it would be and the sound is great!

When I first got my phone, I thought I had to use a fingernail to click the keys. Turns out a flat finger presses works just as well. The keys are like little hills and as long as your feeling the correct key under your finger (or thumb) you get the key press you expect.

I have used the headset that comes with the phone and, using an adapter as mentioned above, I've used high quality headphones. Both have good sound IMHO. The problem with the set that comes with the phone (other than being a little "less than" in the sound quality department) is they won't stay in my ears. I saw a post somewhere else on this board that suggessted using "EarJams" for whatever headset they were talking about. I just went to Radio Shack last night and purchased these and, though they are meant for Ipod headsets, they fit the OEM set just fine and seem to help keep them in my ears. I haven't REALLY put them to the test yet, so we'll see. But, they certainly do improve upon the bass output of the OEM set and allow the volume to be turned down. Both are positive improvements. I have excellent Sennheisers I used with my 220 and am really missing not being able to use them on my new phone. I loathe adapters, so I'm hoping with the EarJams+OEM headset I can get by without having to purchase yet another high quality headset specific to this phone. I have a Seidio adapter that works great (includes microphone unlike the simple eBay adapter mentioned above which must be removed from the phone to make or receive a call) but, I just can't hardly stand using headphone adapters. They just take away from the elegance of the phone IMHO and that just bugs me. If you get the one without the microphone, then you have to unplug when you want to use your phone as a phone. If you get an adapter that includes a mic, then you have the cord from your high quality headset + the cord from the adapter = a LOT of cord dangling around - or, tucked away somewhere. I hate to fuss with any of it. dry.gif

Other than that, I miss the flip style. Yes, you can lock the keypad on a candy bar phone, but I'm amazed that even having done so, I've removed my phone from my pocket to use it and the keypad is unlocked! I've loaded "AutomaticKeylock" to prevent this - but find it a little bit of pain to have to unlock my phone everytime I want to do anything with it - as opposed to just opening the flip. Funny, as I typed that, it occurs to me they both require something of me before I can get to what it is I want to do. But, opening a flip is just automatic and requires no thinking on my part. wink.gif

I VERY much like having the dedicated media buttons (changed to work with TCPMP of course) and the pIE button but, as mentioned above, miss that big d-pad/blue button on the 220. You gain some, you lose some...unfortunately.

Lastly, the new phone has wifi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE plus in my book and makes everything else tolerable. Oh yeah, and there's the nicer screen too. cool.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 29 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

One more "plus" I forgot to mention...is BT headset voice dialing on the SDA/i-mate.

I did not like the "conversation" I had to have with my 220 to use voice dialing so I MUCH prefer the voice tags system used on my i-mate. I REALLY like being able to voice dial the tags I've setup and using my BT headset for quick access to both phone numbers and applications. It works great and only requires one press of a button on my headset to implement - which is very easy to do while I'm driving and I never have to take my eyes off the road to look at the phone.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Aug 30 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #12

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 8,753
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

I had an MPx220 with Asian ROM 3.46. Those were the good old days. Then it was replaced my the Cingular 2125. I am very happy now. The BT Headset Moto H700 had a crackling sound when I used the MPx220, but now I have a clear as a bell and loud as a horn quality when I paired it with the 2125. Handset call volume is a bit low and the fact that Cingular took my WiFi and threw out the window really pissed me off. Other than that, I think you will be satisfied with the SDA.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 1 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #13

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Aug 29 2006, 02:10 PM) *
The problem with the set that comes with the phone (other than being a little "less than" in the sound quality department) is they won't stay in my ears. I saw a post somewhere else on this board that suggessted using "EarJams" for whatever headset they were talking about. I just went to Radio Shack last night and purchased these and, though they are meant for Ipod headsets, they fit the OEM set just fine and seem to help keep them in my ears. I haven't REALLY put them to the test yet, so we'll see.
follow up regarding "EarJams"...they didn't work for me. They don't reach far enough into my ear canal to get the really good sound canal buds give and they weren't any better at not falling out of my ear while working out in my yard. By the end of the afternoon I was completely frustrated by them and my ears hurt BIG TIME! <sigh> There just HAS to be a decent hybrid set of canal buds (has microphone to be used during calls) that works with this phone. Anybody ever tried these Seidio ones? http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?Page...&ProdID=234

I'm thinking of getting the standard ones, without the recoil mechanism. That recoil thing is kind of heavy when buds are hanging out your ears. I have Seidio's adapter for using standard headphones, and it has the recoil thing but I didn't like it for that reason. I only paid 30-something for my Sennheisers, so Seidio's $55 doesn't thrill me. dry.gif With Sennheisers the great sound quality is a given. I just hate spending that kind of money on something that might be a disappointment. But, I loves my tunes and I gotta get a headset sooner rather than later. Money grows on trees, right? Gotta go get me one of those too while I'm at it. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 12 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #14

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Sep 1 2006, 02:13 AM) *
There just HAS to be a decent hybrid set of canal buds (has microphone to be used during calls) that works with this phone. Anybody ever tried these Seidio ones? http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?Page...&ProdID=234...I only paid 30-something for my Sennheisers, so Seidio's $55 doesn't thrill me. dry.gif With Sennheisers the great sound quality is a given. I just hate spending that kind of money on something that might be a disappointment.
Got my Seidio headset yesterday and they are a VERY BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. There is an obvious crackle in the right earpiece and my outgoing voice doesn't sound that much like me! Besides the crackle, the audio 'quality' of the music isn't very good. YIKES!! They cost almost twice as much as the Senns!!! I was expecting good things from them 'cuz the adapter I bought from them awhile back works great (a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter with microphone that allows you to use your standard headphones with your cell phone). I ordered this most recent headset 'cuz I am tired of the extra cords hanging around (adapter cord+headset cord) and wanted to be "adapter-less". These Seidio's are the comfy canal bud type I prefer. But, the sound 'quality' just isn't there...in the pair I got anyway.

I've written to their customer service and explained the issue. I'll report back how they handle it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Dec 8 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #15

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 9,763
Phone: Cingular 8125

Ive seen the motorola mini usb headphones is there a mini usb headphone adapter 2 3.5 it seems lik there would be a better quality if there was

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 9 2006, 04:11 AM
Post #16

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Yes, there are such adapters. And you're right about the quality. It's as good as the set of headphones you use with the adapter. I was just trying to find a way to be adapterless. I haven't found that solution for my i-mate...yet. wink.gif But the Senns worked great with my Motorola and are sounding great (albeit with an adapter) on my i-mate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Dec 14 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #17

Gadget Junkie

can some1 some1 give me the link 2 where i can buy the adaptor i couldnt find a mini usb to 3.5 adapter

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 14 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #18

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

There is such an adapter for the Moto RAZR. But, that phone is designed for audio out via the mini-USb where the 2125/SDA/SP5m is not. At least I don't think it is. I don't know for certain though. Anyway, the mini-USB headphones for the RAZR are/were available at Best Buy if you want to try them to see if there is any audio going out the mini-USB port on your phone. If there is then you can order the adapter you want if they don't sell that there too. Here's some info I found on it (apparently they make two different adapters...so, make sure you get the right one):
"Just a heads up, but Motorola after waiting almost 2 years after the original release of the RAZR has finally begun shipping out the 2.5mm universal Mini-USB (EMU) handsfree headset adapter so people can use their old Jabra, Plantronics, Shure or whatever universal wired headset with their phone instead of being stuck with the Original Motorola Earbud style headset, or the Bluetooth-Only option. The new part number is SYN1505A, and is not to be confused with the SYN1504A, which is Motorola's 3.5mm Stereo headset adapter option which just came out only months ago. The SYN1504A can only be used as a stereo music headset plug in and has no handsfree audio input capabilities.

The new SYN1505A handsfree headset audio adapter has been tested to work with these models: Motorola V3/ V3i/ V3X/ V3M/ RAZR/ U6/ PEBL/ L7/ SLVR/ L6/ L2/ V360/ V365. We believe it even may work with the older Motorola MPx200, but have yet to test on that model."
---
MOTOROLA SYN1505 (adapts to 2.5mm)

Headset Mini Adapter (Original). SYN1505A stereo audio adapter provides a Great alternative to expensive Bluetooth A2DP profile stereo headsets.

Motorola Factory original 2.5mm To EMU (Mini-USB) audio adapter provides a STEREO connection for use with your standard Stereo headset. With SYN1505 enjoy the BEST stereo audio through your own wired stereo headset.
---
Model # SYN1504 (adapts to 3.5mm)

Motorola SYN1504 Headset Mini Adapter. SYN1504A stereo audio adapter provides a Great alternative to expensive Bluetooth A2DP profile stereo headsets

Motorola Factory original 3.5mm (1/8 th inch) To EMU (Mini-USB) audio adapter provides a STEREO connection for use with your standard Stereo headset. With SYN1504A enjoy the BEST stereo audio through your own wired stereo headset.

Links expire, so I haven't given you one. But, these adapters are available all over eBay and the WWW. You should have no trouble finding it yourself. Good luck! It'll be interesting to see if this works. I'm using an adapter from the headset jack on my phone to use standard headphones. It works well and is the way the phone was designed to work. Again, good luck!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Dec 14 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #19

Gadget Junkie

i didnt buy the best buy motorola headset but on the back of the package it said compatible with mpx220 so i assume it works on 2125 yes there is a mini usb on it

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 15 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #20

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I would not assume that. Besides, 220 doesn't have mini-USB - the 200 did. Easy enough to find out if it works on your 2125 since it's available locally! I wouldn't expect it to work though since the 2125 has a dedicated audio out jack built into the phone. But, I can't say for certain since I haven't tried it out myself. Just my .02

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:32 AM