Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,193
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC

Hi all,
I've been following Abatis' horrible experience with Sprint, and I've got my own tale to tell about Cingular/ATT. There's already been some griping about their lack of consistency dealing with data plans, see here for that discussion. I had to fight to get my cheap data plan, but I got it finally.

So, now for my NEW gripe: our contract recently ended, so I upgraded my phone to the Blackjack. I absolutely adore the phone and the 3G data service... customer service is another story entirely. My wife, who loves her MPx220, decided to upgrade to the HTC Wizard/ Cingular 8125. She is a chef, so she wanted the ability to use pocket Excel for inventory, etc. and Word for recipes. We ordered the phone online, refurbished, for 89 dollars. Great deal, right? Well, the phone was defective, no surprise with a refurb, so I called cust service for a RMA return label. They told me to return the phone to a Cingular store, so I did. I had been meaning to check out the new ATT/Cing super flagship store here in Houston.

I walk in the door with my return and my coffee and the little 20-something sorority girl at the door tells me, all snotty, "no food or drink, you have to take that outside." OK, no problem. I dump the coffee, then she tells me to get on the waiting list...again, no problem. Really though, you guys should see all these little bimbos scurrying around with their cingular 8525's. "Wow, like they're like totally, like high tech, you know, they have like an automated network for take-a-number" I'm not sure if my sarcasm is coming through, if not, I'm being sarcastic. Ha ha. So, the lady at the counter tells me that online phone returns are NOT done through the store, and further, they don't deal with refurb phones. Again, an sorority type with attitude...but she takes pity on me, I think she could see the steam coming out of my ears, and returns the phone and credits back to my Amex. The girl assured me that I would be able to upgrade my wife's phone again online.

So I go to the web, which says I'm not elegible for an upgrade till sometime in 2008. I call customer service, they tell me they'll take care of it. Next day, same thing. I call back, the guy says he'll take care of it for sure this time, but will take a few days to update our account. I look online, it says we can upgrade on May 3. So I wait the week out, then yesterday (5/3) I go back again to upgrade. Guess what?? "This line is not elegible for an upgrade." I call again, a bit irate to say the least, and the cust service guy tells me that I cannot upgrade the phone online because of the return but that he can do it for me. I tell him I want a BlackJack (my wife decided against the PPC touch screen) and he says he'll Fedex it to me, no shipping charge.

This morning, Fedex shows up at my door, with, guess what? A brand new Blackberry Pearl!! Just what I didn't want!! I called again today, almost in tears from frustration, and I get a guy who tells me this: they'll send a return label, when they receive the phone back, they'll credit my account. They will also CHARGE me for another phone (hopefully a Blackjack this time) and send it out today. I told him that it is hardly fair to charge me for a second phone when my time has been wasted by a series of incompetent morons and my wife has been stuck with no phone for a month now (she's been using my old SMT5600, but hey, I was full of self righteous indignation, so I didn't tell him that). I asked for a supervisor, and HE REFUSED! He told me that the policy was non-negotiable and that I DIDN'T NEED TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR!!! Can you believe that s**t? I needed the phone, and I had to be at a meeting, and I had already been on the line with him for 30 minutes, so I just gave in and told them to bill me for the new phone. Am I being unreasonable, am I crazy, or is this ridiculous?? I have worked in the service industry (restaurants) for over 10 years, and I've never heard of this type of treatment....

Oh, at the end of my customer DISservice call this morning, the guy said, "thanks for your business, have a nice day." Goodbye Cingular ATT, and hello T-Mobile. I may even break my contract, and I've been with them since before the last ATT Cingular merger....whew sorry, at least I feel better now that I've vented.

Sorry Runningtiger, I know you already heard some of this rant before and I know you've been lucky with CingATT...I just hope you don't have to go through this type of thing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 5 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I think this goes to show, no cellphone carrier has good customer service. It's really a matter of finding the carrier that sucks the least. In my experience T-Mobile has been the least-worst customer service. But if you switch to them you'll be loosing out on the 3G HSDPA internet. Just something to consider. I've really considered switching back to them when I have horrible CS experiences, but in the end I just can't sacrifice 3G data. I've had some pretty crappy CS experiences with Cingular, Sprint, and VZW, but nothing that compares to your or Abatis' experience.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post May 8 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (earl @ May 4 2007, 01:49 PM) *
Sorry Runningtiger, I know you already heard some of this rant before and I know you've been lucky with CingATT...I just hope you don't have to go through this type of thing.
I'm in such a different boat 'cuz I use a pre-paid plan. I'm not "entitled" to any "free" or "discounted" phones and I don't have any data plan to contend with. So, my interaction with Cingular consists of buying a prepaid card every three months and then basically forgetting about them until the next quarter year rolls around.

From what I've read, it seams most issues with the providers stem from the "free" phone upgrades and data plan issues. I've purchased all my phones outright since way back so I'm not tied to a carrier...ever. Since I stumbled into "smartphones" and have found out what features I like, I use non-Cingular phones so I can have built-in WIFI (which is available for free to me just about everywhere I go).

I'm happy.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
earl
post May 9 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,193
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC

You are a smart lady not locking yourself into a contract. I would feel better having prepaid service except that my wife and I use so many minutes that we pretty much have to go the contract route. Also, those 'free' device offers ALWAYS sucker me in...I mean, hey, who wouldn't want a Blackjack for $149?

The expense and hassle of breaking my CingATT contract and then trying to port our phone numbers to TMobile or another carrier, it's just too much right now. So I'll just have to accept that in this day and age, decent customer service, at least as far as cellular carriers, is DEAD. At the end of this contract I'll switch carriers, or at least that's what I'm telling myself... The truth is probably that I'll get suckered back in for 2 more years by a 'discounted' equipment upgrade to whatever the newest device is. Now that's much more fun than griping about bad customer service: speculating about future must-have smartphone/ PPCs.

I'm still steamed about the customer service guy telling me, "no, you can't speak to my supervisor" but I'm too lazy to chase him down. My wife finally got her Blackjack yesterday but we still haven't received the return shipping label for the Blackberry. Maybe I'll sell the extra phone on eBay as a "screw you" to cingular...

+Quote Post
jadams951
post Nov 7 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,067
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

I've had nothing but excellent customer service with them for years.

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 7 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I think often the issue is the person you get to help you no matter which carrier. Sprint finally did get me a working i830w. Most recently I went through two weeks of hell with Verizon ordering a Samsung i760 through our business channel. I finally sent the b2b rep a note saying I was just going to order from the internet and not to bother following up on the original order any longer. I ordered from the customer internet site and received an email that the phone was shipped the same day. Recently I switched my son to my backup ATT/Cingular account based on the fact that his out of town college girlfriend was on Cingular and the T-Mobile bills were killing me. The ATT/Cingular people where great, even with porting the number from T-Mo. The ATT call center was in Georgia and it was nice to speak with a native US English speaker. I can understand a nice Southern accent, but not one from south of New Delhi. The out of country call centers are the pits.

What would be great = pleasant, effective, consistent customer service, no matter what carrier.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:27 AM