IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cingular's "SmartPhone Connect" UNLIMITED, can I stream radio all day long? really?
runningtiger
post Oct 6 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Right now I'm bummed 'cuz my i-mate SP5m and wireless router are not playing nicely with each other. They've worked perfectly for several weeks and now for the last week I can't access web pages or email on my phone. I can still connect to other wireless networks and look at web pages and get my email...just not on my own wireless network at home. HOWEVER, my home network is working just fine with our laptops...just not my phone. I've posted another thread regarding this and am hoping to get some help. Setting up a router is not my forte. blink.gif

So, I'm wanting to go out in my yard right now and work all afternoon. Usually I'd connect to my home wifi and stream a radio station to my phone and listen while I work. But, I can't do that due to the problem I mention above.

This gets me wondering...if I had Cingular's SmartPhone Connect Unlimited plan, could I stream a radio station for hours like I want to do today? That would be an ENORMOUS amount of data. Is that really OK to do, or would Cingular disconnect me if I did this daily (or, even once)? Would they take note and terminate me?

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Oct 12 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

I know you have since fixed your router problem, but figured I would chime in anyway. With the unlimited connect you would be able to stream, surf, etc. as much as you want as long as it is via your phone and not teathered to a computer or laptop as a modem. I stream using Orb all the time, not to mention all the surfing, emails (mainly junk wink.gif), etc that I do on a daily basis, and I don't get charged anything for it. Although I am not using the "Smartphone Connect Plan", I am using the $19.99 Media Max 200 plan (Unlimited data, and 200 SMS/MMS Bucket).

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 12 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

warning...it's late...I'm tired...a long ramble ensued

Is the "Media Max 200 plan" a holdover from awhile back? I don't recall seeing that plan. Are there any talk minutes included, or is it just data? The price you pay is the same they are charging for their current plan called "SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail" (no SMS or MMS in this plan...data only). Since they charge $9.99 for 5MB (the minimum you can buy), this means it's only $10 more for unlimited. That's not bad IMHO. What is bad (for me since I don't use my phone much for phone conversations - so, lots of minutes is just not necessary) is that the minimum voice package cost $39.99.

$19.99+$39.99 = $60+ after all taxes and fees etc. <ouch>

I'm soooooooo flirting with the idea though. Plus I could get the 3125 and be carrying a flipper once again. I'm flying through the minutes on my pre-paid account and would use even more if it was all "unlimited". I've become addicted to streaming!

Gryphon, are you streaming music from your home computer, or something else via Orb? (Are there Orb "stations" for instance?)

My router is fixed...sort of. It won't stay connected to my phone indefinitely. It seems like it goes for quite awhile then loses the connection then after a few seconds works again. For instance, I usually can't stay connected long enough to finish updating AvantGo. If I'm streaming a radio show, I can sometimes listen for an hour or so - or - I can lose the connection several times in an hour. It's very irregular. Actually, this is the same behavior I had before I could not connect for a week. So, the intermittent connection thing isn't anything new. Basically, my router is back to working just as it was before...which is in spurts. It behaves the same with my laptop I've noticed. Truth is I say the problem is with my router, but I really have no clue. I suppose it could actually be the modem. Dunno. unsure.gif

I was driving around trying different wifi signals and found one named "Linksys" that was incredibly fast. I didn't try to see how long I could stream. I was just trying to see if I could connect to another wifi when mine wasn't working. I currently have a D-Link router. Even when my setup is working good it's not as fast as that "Linksys" was. I have a Hawking Wireless-G router sitting here I've been thinking of giving a try but have been putting off since I've always had problems dealing with anything concerning setting up my D-Link router. I've always had to call customer service and let them walk me through the software part of the setup. Apparently it's not in my pay-grade. blink.gif ohmy.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Oct 12 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600

I have an SMT 5600 with Cingular -- and $20 unlimited data. Yes, I also listen to the radio on my phone. Nice. And cheap. :-)

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 12 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Undude - what voice plan do you have to go along with the unlimited data? Is it less than $39.99?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Oct 14 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

I mainly stream from my home computer, but mess around with some of the orb stations from time to time. No the Media Max 200 doesn't include any minutes, it is only data and the 200 MMS/SMS. I pay a small fortune a month on my two lines (family plan) with all the "features" I have on each line. My wife is big into SMS so I got her the Media Net Works which is $15 for 5MB internet and 1000 SMS/MMS. Also have things like roadside assistance (comes in handy), and a few other things, it does add up quick that's for sure...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 16 2006, 06:14 AM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I'm going to try setting up my desktop computer that is hard-wired with a cable modem for internet access and see if that works better than trying to access my laptop which is connected to the internet via wifi. Both links of the chain I'm currently trying to use are wifi...and that might just be asking too much. We'll see...

I'm also still considering graduating to a post-paid plan so that I can buy an unlimited data plan. It is quite a bit more $$ than what I've been spending, but I use it everyday...a lot. So, per minute it would actually breakdown to be quite inexpensive entertainment. Still thinking about it...and rationalizing it obviously. wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 20 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Oct 16 2006, 02:14 AM) *
I'm going to try setting up my desktop computer that is hard-wired with a cable modem for internet access and see if that works better than trying to access my laptop which is connected to the internet via wifi. Both links of the chain I'm currently trying to use are wifi...and that might just be asking too much. We'll see...

I'm also still considering graduating to a post-paid plan so that I can buy an unlimited data plan. It is quite a bit more $$ than what I've been spending, but I use it everyday...a lot. So, per minute it would actually breakdown to be quite inexpensive entertainment. Still thinking about it...and rationalizing it obviously. wink.gif laugh.gif

I have an old MEdiaWorks package. 19.99 unlimited data, 2500 sms and 1000 mms.......I use almost 10GB of data a month...they never say nothing but of course its all from my 8125 or 3125.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 20 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #9

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (omega2008 @ Oct 19 2006, 06:32 PM) *
I have an old MEdiaWorks package. 19.99 unlimited data, 2500 sms and 1000 mms.......I use almost 10GB of data a month...they never say nothing but of course its all from my 8125 or 3125.
But, do you also have a separate voice plan that you pay for? If so, how much? If not, which plan that you named here has voice minutes included?

--------------------

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 20 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525

I have family plan...so yes I do have a voice plan and yes I do think you have to have a voice plan to get a mediaNet package...however I am not sure. Cingulars Data plans and voice plans are seperate. So you can have any voice plan you want and get a medinet package.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
hkdkat
post Oct 20 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,511
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
MP3 Player: iPod
Google Talk ID: hkdkat

Is it a scam, or is it legit...I don't know but I was warned (and read on other boards) to not use the unlimited medianet at $19.99/mo for an 8125 from Cingular. I read and heard from the sales guy that people were getting $400 bills for abusing the media net from the 8125 type phones so I got the 10mb for $24.99/mo and then realized I wanted unlimited so did that for $39.99/mo and I use it to watch slingbox and crazy data items like that. I also have the $59.99/mo voice plan.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 31 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #12

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Oct 15 2006, 11:14 PM) *
Setting up my music library on a computer hard wired to the router/cable modem made all the difference in the world.

Unless, I just got lucky today! laugh.gif I streamed (via my phone's wifi) my personal music collection for over 5 hours with NO dropouts. Yeah!!!!! biggrin.gif

I always had good luck streaming content other than my own (i.e. internet radio). So, I figured the problem was on my end. At first I thought Orb, was at fault...and tried another option (Avvenu) which seemed to work better in some ways, but not as well in other ways. Orb is more feature rich for sure.

My only complaint now is that I've created a playlist of over 700 songs and have set it to "shuffle" but it doesn't jump around as much as I'd hoped. I've had it on as background music much of the day, and so haven't paid complete attention, but I think it's repeating the same artist's songs over and over and hasn't played any other artists. It's shuffling around the different "albums/folders" of that artist, but never moving on to another folder (as they exist on the hard drive). Other than that, it's working OK.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Nipponese
post Nov 24 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,831
Phone: Dopod s300
MP3 Player: iPod Video

QUOTE (hkdkat @ Oct, 02:57 PM) *
Is it a scam, or is it legit...I don't know but I was warned (and read on other boards) to not use the unlimited medianet at $19.99/mo for an 8125 from Cingular. I read and heard from the sales guy that people were getting $400 bills for abusing the media net from the 8125 type phones so I got the 10mb for $24.99/mo and then realized I wanted unlimited so did that for $39.99/mo and I use it to watch slingbox and crazy data items like that. I also have the $59.99/mo voice plan.

Hey all, this is my first post here!

So, hkdkat, are these rumors confirmed by someone for real? I also asked a cingular rep what would happen if I tethered my $20/month data plan to a PC for data use and was told that "there is no way that a phone could handle so much data, so [cingular] would know I am violating my terms of use." I am not sure how that's possible, but I certainly can't afford to loose such a gamble.

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Dec 3 2006, 06:35 AM
Post #14

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Just found a great Mobile Radio Streaming list. I can even stream KROQ 106.7 (LA).

http://www.jamwam.com/radio

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Dec 21 2006, 07:32 AM
Post #15

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 9,763
Phone: Cingular 8125

actually cingulars cheapest voice plan is 29.99 only availble on the phone or at a store i think its 200 anytime cingular doesnt like ppl 2 kno bout this plan

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 21 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #16

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Thanks for the info lil14kid. I'll have to check into that 'cuz you're right, it's not mentioned on their site at all. When you say it's only available on the phone...what do you mean? Do you mean if I call 611 and speak to an agent about my account that they can give me that price? How did you find out about this plan?

--------------------

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Dec 21 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #17

Gadget Junkie

yea 611 dont ask them tell them cingular reps like 2 keep it on the DL theres also a 50dollar family plan, i found out about this from a frend who worked for cingular i was on it b4 i switched 2 family plans

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Dec 26 2006, 06:10 AM
Post #18

Site Administrator
Group Icon

How many minutes does the $50 family plan come with? I have the nationwide 700 minute plan at the moment ($60), but wouldn't mind downgrading a little bit. I am just wondering how many minutes that $10 is worth.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Dec 28 2006, 05:49 AM
Post #19

Gadget Junkie

550 i dont rember if unlimited is included tho

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Dec 28 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #20

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Thanks, I found the info about the plan on their site. It looks like my plan has gone up in price since I had signed up for it. For that reason I don't think I will be changing to save $10 considering if 550 wasn't enough (which it wouldn't be all the time), then it would cost me $20 more to come back to the plan that I have. Good info though, thanks.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:43 PM