Post #1

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,753
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

Hey there everybody. This isn't really a question but more of an announcemnet.

If you live in Houston, TX and own a Cingular 2125, T-Mobile SDA, or a T-Mobile MDA (or a variant of MDA) and YOU are looking hard for a belt clip (not a pouch nor skin), there is a store near Rice Village that is selling the belt clip for the SDA (which will fit the 2125) and the MDA.

I don't know about y'all, but I have looked all over for a belt clip (along with a skin), even Harwin St. The only problems is that it's kinda pricey and it's loose at the bottom end of the clip/holster. To fix that loose end, I went to Fry's and bought one of those rubbery mounting strips, lined the insides to create "cushion" and viola! fix that problem.

It's a T-mobile "authorized dealer"
6611 Kirby Dr. (right before Holcombe coming from Rice Village on the left hand side)
Houston, TX 77005
Ph#. 713.664.3733

Okay, I am done.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 31 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Can you post a photo of your clip Skippy?

I bought a clip off of eBAY that said it fit the SDA (has a hump) and the i-mate SP5m (humpless). I was skeptical, but since they mentioned my phone by name I was hopeful. Turns out it does not fit as it's a tad to tall. <duh> Since I've only held the SDA in my hands once, and it was a broken dummy model, it seemed to me like the same clip might fit them both if there was a way to grab the top of the SDA - but behind the hump. Didn't turn out to be that way of course, but I just wanted to let on what I was thinking so I don't come off sounding like a complete dummy.

Anyway, mine says SDA on the back and seems to me to fit the bottom very nicely. I'm very curious to see how you "fixed" yours. If I could make my phone sit taller in the clip, it might actually be useful to me.

I'm not understanding what the "rubbery mounting strip" is that you got from Frys.

BTW...none of the T-mobile stores around here that I've stopped at have had the belt clip. So, that's quite a find you got there. My clip off of eBAY cost $5 or $6-ish, if I remember right.

Here's what mine looks like:
Attached Image

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Sep 1 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

Well, I mentioned "Authorized Dealer" on my message because its one of those stores that have the T-Mobile/Cingular sign on the outside, but its just a dealer who deals with more than T-mobile. THis guy dealt with Verizon and Cingular as well, but his main business was Tmobile.

I had to "fix" the bottom end of it because the SDA keypad is wider than the Cingular 2125, hince my phone was sitting loose at the bottom. The rubber mount strips I am talking about are the ones you get at Home Depot, Fry's, or even a craft store. Its a roll of rubber strips (or foam) that has adhesives on both sides. They're mainly for portraits or other light item that you want to mount to a wall. The perfect example would be 3m strips. What I did was line the inside of the clip with these strips but without removing the protective plastic so that my phone would sit on it without getting stuck. This provided "cushion" on both sides of the phone so that it wouldn't slip. Think of it as foam padding. I provided some pictures, sorry I am not very good at taking pictures of inanimate objects.

This post has been edited by SkippyTheNurse: Sep 1 2006, 02:28 AM

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Sep 1 2006, 06:00 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Thanks for the pics Skippy. I think that foam strip/tape stuff might do the trick for me too. I need to raise my phone up a bit to "lock" it in. Thanks for the idea!

Do you think we have the same clip? I notice the two circles inside the square that can be seen in your last photo look the same as mine (allows use of the camera without removing the phone from the holster - that is as long as you've rotated the clip out of the way). The clip on the back of mine really seems to distinguish it. Is it the same as yours?

I wish it held the phone at more of an angle when it's flat on a table top so that the screen could be seen a bit better. I miss my clamshell phone keeping the screen at a 45 degree angle so it could easily be read while sitting on the table. Also, the clip on mine is rounded, so it doesn't sit flat. While holstered and sitting on a table, the phone leans to the side and can spin a bit if nudged. Is it too late to go back to the drawing board? dry.gif <sigh>

Still, it'll be useful if your fix works...that's all I'm hoping for at this point! Thanks again!!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
SkippyTheNurse
post Sep 1 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #5

Gadget Junkie

Yeah, I noticed your curved clip there. Mine is flat and I do think that we do have the same type of belt clip. Another thing you might want to try is to manually (but very gently) bend the top end of it foward so that it will grip the hump of the phone better. I did that and it made it more secure. I already dropped mine and the phone didn't pop out of the clip. NICE. What you can also do is you can always add strips on top of strips to add height and thickness. My JavoEdge skin is coming so it'll complete the set.

I too miss flip phones. I think the Dopod S300 will be the last of its kind.

But yeah dude, take care and hopefully my little ghetto-rigging helped.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:41 PM