Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,511
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod
Google Talk ID: hkdkat

Hi! I want to update my ROM for my 8125 and downloaded the software from the HTC America site. However, I keep reading about CID Unlock and different ways to back up my phone prior to updating.

I have not done anything to the phone since I got it in terms of tweaks. I use all of the components (notes, tasks, calendar, contacts, voice dialing, bluetooth, excel, pdf, IE, etc) but haven't done any fooling around other than the normal intent of the phone.

So I guess my questions are other than what I list below, what do I need to do before I can update my ROM? Would it be safer to take to a cingular store and have them do it? Would they?

1. Back up contacts, ring tones, notes, basically anything I don't want to lose.
2. make sure I have a full charge
3. follow directions closely!
4. What am I missing? It sounds like people have encoutered such nightmares and I don't want to turn my phone into a brick!

OH I have the G3 chipset if that matters.

Thanks ahead of time!
KAT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 7 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

It sounds like you're set to update. Just sync everything you want with your PC, then after you flash you can sync again and get all your PIM data back. If you're flashing a Cingular phone with a Cingular ROM you won't need to unlock anything. Just follow the directions closely and you'll be fine.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
abatis
post Oct 7 2006, 01:01 AM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I would suggest you invest in Sprite Backup and backup your phone now and often in the future. Follow what you say above and do it yourself. At some point you need to take the plunge and you are using all factory approved software. It will work.

Edit: Smegs suggestion is perfect if you do not want to buy Sprite. Just so you know, MGN receives no revenue from Sprite - it is just a very good program.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
hkdkat
post Oct 7 2006, 06:10 AM
Post #4

Thank you so much for your responses. I will definitely let you know how it turns out!

+Quote Post
drewdog
post Oct 9 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,721

i would be careful. the update left my phone in boot logger mode or the tri color screen. it would not take any update after that and i had to send it in to htc. they suck over the phone, but they did fix and return my phone. i would just make sure you really want to update your phone.

+Quote Post
hkdkat
post Oct 9 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #6

Drew,

I know, I'm really gunshy about doing it but I've heard just as many success stories as stories of woe. I have sent an email to the guy at the store where I bought my phone to see if he'll do it/recommends it (if he won't). Everything is working ok right now, but I like some of the improvements I have heard of as a result of the upgrade.

Did you have any special apps on your phone or was it still 100% stock (no tweaks prior)? I've read that makes a difference as well.

+Quote Post
hkdkat
post Oct 16 2006, 04:29 AM
Post #7

All,

As promised, I said I would let you know how the update went. It went really well...we have just gotten all of the important stuff set up and now i'm doing the fun stuff but I just wanted to say

THANKS!!!

Kat

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:30 PM