Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SMT5600/C500 Disassembly and Dust Fix Instruction
specialized
post Mar 31 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,727

I’ve decided to post my Do-It-Yourself solution to the C500 / SMT5600 dust problem on my website. You can find it here:

http://www.digimission.com/?page_id=25

I’ve tested it so far for 2 months+ and I’m still dust free. When I got my phone new I had dust after only 1 week! I wanted to test it for a bit longer just to be sure it works before I post it but there seems to be a lot of concern and talk about the dust issue lately (@MoDaCo). Anyone have a broken phone for a torture test?! wink.gif The disassembly instructions are on my website as well. And the fix is very simple; the hardest part is opening the phone. Enjoy!

This post has been edited by specialized: Apr 1 2005, 10:23 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cylon
post Apr 2 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,549
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: MiTAC

I found it much easier to put tape on the screen/display rather than on the foam. I was able to use strips of tape that were slightly wider, and I could place them to the exact edge of the viewing area of the screen. You can also use the back of your razor-blade to push down on the tape to insure the seal onto the screan.

I used 3M, double-sided removable Scrapbooking tape (funny coincidence on the similar approaches).

Cylon
(great job on the instructions, and many thanks!)

--------------------
Arrogant American Fighter Pilot

+Quote Post
specialized
post Apr 2 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,727

QUOTE (Cylon @ Apr 2 2005, 04:37 PM)
I found it much easier to put tape on the screen/display rather than on the foam.  I was able to use strips of tape that were slightly wider, and I could place them to the exact edge of the viewing area of the screen.  You can also use the back of your razor-blade to push down on the tape to insure the seal onto the screan.

I used 3M, double-sided removable Scrapbooking tape (funny coincidence on the similar approaches).

Cylon
(great job on the instructions, and many thanks!)

I placed the tape on the foam so there isn't any possibility of the tape showing within the LCD window but either way is fine as long as there is a good seal.

Scrapbooking tape and poster tape should be the same thing. Apparently its also called 3M Wallsaver tape. I guess it depends on where you buy it.

This post has been edited by specialized: Apr 2 2005, 10:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
alecmc
post Apr 10 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,232

QUOTE (specialized @ Mar 31 2005, 11:17 PM)
I’ve decided to post my Do-It-Yourself solution to the C500 / SMT5600 dust problem on my website. You can find it here:

http://www.digimission.com/?page_id=25

I’ve tested it so far for 2 months+ and I’m still dust free. When I got my phone new I had dust after only 1 week! I wanted to test it for a bit longer just to be sure it works before I post it but there seems to be a lot of concern and talk about the dust issue lately (@MoDaCo). Anyone have a broken phone for a torture test?!  ;)  The disassembly instructions are on my website as well. And the fix is very simple; the hardest part is opening the phone. Enjoy!

Thanks for the fix instructions. It was easy enough to do once I realised that the 6th screw was beneath the VOID sticker. Also, please note that the Torx screwdriver is T6, not T5 (at least it was in my SPV C500).
I was fed up of trying to get ORANGE to sort the problem out. Now it's done.

+Quote Post
mtuhoop24
post Apr 26 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,254
Carrier: Alltel

I tried this and it was working fine until one of the screws stripped out and then I was done. I couldn't get the one under the void sticker.....I guess I will have to live with dust!!

Thanks

+Quote Post
svirfnebli
post Aug 15 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 538

Ahh crap!

I looked and looked for an article like this, couldnt find one, then tried to figure this out myself. Now the face of my cell phone is held on by tape.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Aug 19 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #7

Site Administrator

Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

I did my phone and my wife's today. Pretty simple. Thanks for the directions!

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
cat64
post Nov 19 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,797
Carrier: Other
MP3 Player: Other

The instructions were a big help. In addition to fixing the dust problem I also had to fix the antenna. These instructions helped me disassemble the phone without damaging it.
The internal antenna stopped working after using an external antenna.

To correct this I wired the internal antenna to the external antenna connection. The wire was soldered to the internal antenna and then inserted into the external antenna connector. The plastic sleeve around the connector was trimmed and the rubber boot over the external antenna was trimmed to allow the wire to fit. It works great! The antenna reception is actually improved!
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:00 PM