post Apr 26 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,615
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Other
PMC: Creative Zen

Hey. I was looking at both of these phones and was wondering what the main differences were. I read on the features and specs at Cingular.com and they seemed almost identical other than the lack of video messaging on the 8125.
Are there any other real differences?
and which one is smaller? The dimensions they gave me on Cingular.com are whack, so I was just wondering which would be easier to put in my pocket and whatnot.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Apr 26 2007, 06:51 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

The main differences are a faster processor with the 8525 (195MHz vs 400MHz), support for 802.11b & g without having to hack, 3G compared to EDGE, better camera and stronger battery.

Size is almost identical. But, I have the T-Mo MDA (basically same as the 8125) and when I saw the 8525 I thought it looked smaller - though they should be about the same. That said, either is quite a bit larger than most flip phones if that's what you're used to. Depending on your pocket it's not too bad though.

I remember Mobilegadgetnews moderator Omega2008 being really pleased when he got his 8525. Based on what he said at the time, if I were choosing between these two devices I'd definitely go with the 8525.

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Mr.Binks
post Apr 26 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #3

Well, let's just say that I mainly just want the phone for text messaging, IM, and other tasks like that. Would it really be necessary for me to invest that much more into the 8525? I only plan on using it for music, games, and whatnot. I don't really intend on ever surfing the web or anything.

Do you still think that the 8525 would be my better choice?

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Apr 27 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

No. Not necessary to spend the extra $$$. Based on what you said you want to do with it right now, the 8125 can do. Most of the improvements on the 8525 are there to support the 3G aspect of the device.

The only thing that comes to mind, and I don't know the answer, is you mention games. My MDA (basically the same phone as the 8125) does not have Java on it. There is a way to add it if you get very adventurous. I've done it and it works. But, it wasn't easy! Anyway, just be clear what kind of games you want to add to your device and make sure they will work on a non-java phone OR be prepared to dive into adding the Java console on your own. I don't know if the 8525 is Java capable, or not. Post back if you find out.

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Mr.Binks
post Apr 29 2007, 06:49 AM
Post #5

Okay, so another question.

I have been doing a bit of reading and it doesn't appear that the 8125 comes preinstalled with AIM.
It only comes with MSN.

The plan I have with Cingular is just unlimited text messaging, but I can still get on MSN because they only count my incoming and outgoing messages as texts. At least.. that's what the salesman and representatives told me. Is there any way I can get AIM on it where it only charges for the texts.. just like MSN Messenger on it?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Apr 29 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

The salesman was incorrect. The MSN on it uses data, not SMS. Most of their phones use SMS to send/receive instant messages, but not the Windows Mobile devices. I've never seen an IM program that uses SMS for WM.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Mr.Binks
post Apr 29 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Apr 29 2007, 10:11 AM) *
The salesman was incorrect. The MSN on it uses data, not SMS. Most of their phones use SMS to send/receive instant messages, but not the Windows Mobile devices. I've never seen an IM program that uses SMS for WM.

Oh crap. Alright. Thanks.

Well, hey.. check this out.

http://www.cingular.com/learn/messaging-in...t-messaging.jsp
and on the unlimited text plan, it says.. "Want to send all IM's? Go ahead!"

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Apr 29 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

That's true for most phones they sell. The Windows Mobile phones don't use SMS though. There's no way for Cingular to tell if your sending an IM or browsing the internet, they're both using data.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
omega2008
post May 11 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

The only messaging client that uses SMS is the one that is on the Blackjack. Its a multimessenger program by OZ Communications. It works well but it uses SMS and you have to hit, Menu, Refresh to see any new messages which I find very annoying. For the 8125 I suggest you get Agile Messenger or IM+ any one of those will let use AOL, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and others. I have the 8525 with WM6 installed, I like it better than the 8125 due to the faster processor (I am a very heavy user of this device.). For your needs I recommend the 8125.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:10 AM