IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to fix your MPx200 when it will not charge....
wwh52
post Aug 21 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,226
Phone: MPx220
Carrier: Alltel
MP3 Player: Creative

I also registered so I could thank you: Dude, you rock!

I have an MPX220, but the fix for the MPX200 worked for my phone too. Here's some MPX220 info:

1. There are 6 TORX screws (2 covered by rubber pegs), but a small screwdriver works, if it's width is just right.
2. There are no retention clips, but the 220 has pretty firm plastic catches on each side. You need to pry firmly on one side until it pops open. Repeat on the other side.
3. The F fuse is still there, but it's moved over to the right.

I used CurcuitWorks Electrically Conductive Silver Epoxy (bought on www.alliedelec.com for $30) instead of solder. Made the job pretty easy, plus I just shorted out the fuse. Magnification helped as the fuse is darned small. I used a pin with a tiny (really tiny!) dab of epoxy on the end. Then kind of painted it around the top of the fuse. Be sure to extend the epoxy over the contact points on both the top and bottom ends. I then used a hair dryer to warm the area for 10 min to cure it. Let stand for a couple of hrs to air dry. Once I reassembled the phone, it worked perfectly. I'm recharging with the USB cable since I shorted the fuse.

Hope this helps the MPX220 folks out there. Thanks again...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sendetıklat
post Sep 12 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 12,846
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: None

I`ve put solder there without a fuse. But my device is not charging the battery already. Is there another way to fix this problem?

--------------------
mpx200 & WM2003 Super moto 2 & Kingston 1GB SD & Modify Battery & Speakerphone Adapter

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 12 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #63

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

If you're positive you have a connection between the two ends with the solder you put there, then you may have another problem. The more details you provide the better.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Sarajevo BiH
post Sep 24 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 13,439

tnx..i repair my MPX 200 tvo days ago,and its work just fine!!!!!!
I have WM 2003 4.20.0 version, and i like it..But i wan to install WM 5.0 and i dont have the instalacion file...
Is there someone who have the link where i cant download it ????Also som thutorial is good to have.....

TNX,and u have a lots of regards from Sarajevo-the Olimpic town 1984..!!!!!!

+Quote Post
CBakes
post Nov 8 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 13,704
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

yes i also have a MPX220 that will not turn on! this is a big problem it seems. The problem is, I dont trust myself to do it hah, are there any easier solutions or some1 i can pay to do this for me? I can take the phone all the way apart to see the F fuse i just dont really know what exactly to do and i dont know if my phone is in the same problem as all of yours so here are the problems:

Will not turn on
will not charge
will no give a charge indication light
will not power on when pluged directly into outlet

Help please, i believe i have come to the right place. Can some1 confer i have the same problem as those listing???

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 10 2006, 03:06 AM
Post #66

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

You say you have the MPx220, but this thread that you've posted your question in is the MPx200 forum. I haven't read the entire thread, but believe the 'fixes' listed are for the 200 only and unless someone confirms for you it's the same fix on the 220, I would not assume they are.

Is it possible your battery has just died and it isn't a problem with the phone? The 220 is several years old and if the original battery is still is use, it might be pooping out. My 220 started behaving weird last week and so I put in a new battery and it's been doing well since.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
CBakes
post Nov 10 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #67

i think i read that it worked for some mpx220, but if i was trying to fix a mpx200 problem, would just simply getting an external desktop charger do the trick? charge the battery not in the phone and then just pop it in when its charged and go from there.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 11 2006, 06:20 AM
Post #68

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Yes. If the problem is that your battery won't charge in the phone for some reason, AND the battery is still good...then an external battery charger would do the trick. You'd just charge the battery outside of the phone and when it's charged put it back in and go...that is IF your problem really is that the internal charger isn't working any more and not some other thing.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
harryhirschi
post Nov 12 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 13,746
Phone: HTC Sonata
Carrier: T-Mobile
MP3 Player: Other
PMC: Other

unsure.gif Are there known any external chargers for the battery of my mpx200? I could not find still anything, only for other motorola handsfrees.
Another problem: i'm here in europe (germany).
If the trick with fuse doesnt work: would it be possible to change the loading socket of the phone itself (seems it's not o.k.)?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 13 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #70

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

MPx200 uses the snn5681a battery so you need the snn5681a desktop charger like the one that can be seen in expired eBay auction #9715235165. Be careful not to get the one for the MPx220. The 200 and 220 use different shaped batteries and their chargers are NOT interchangeable.

MPx220 battery=SNN5747A=SNN5747A desktop charger=WRONG for MPx200

I've seen the SNN5747A desktop charger listed for the 200 so be VERY careful and be sure to get the snn5681a desktop charger.

Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
CBakes
post Nov 18 2006, 04:36 AM
Post #71

i purchased a mpx220 desktop charger w/ a new battery just in case mine is dead also, and because then i could be charging a battery while im using my phone. I hope this works! i tried bridging the connection because i did find the F fuse and found another listing that mentioned it working with the 220 not just the 200, but i dont have much experience so after a little bit of work and frustration, im just waiting for the charger first.

+Quote Post
Sk1llS
post Jan 2 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 14,350
PocketPC: Other
MP3 Player: Other
Google Talk ID: -----------@gmail.com

Hey guys thanks for this awesom thread! So now here is my problem. A few weeks ago my MPx200 just died...So i plugged it in and it refused to charge with the usb computer cable. So i plugged it in the main charger but still nothing. The battery is completely flat and wont turn on or charge... So i gathered the courage and bought a torx 5 screw driver and opened the cover and i bridged the fuse, i used a magnifying glass and I did it twice just to make sure but it still refuses to charge. I read all 4 pages and I read i should check the USB solders...I am gonna get a multimeter in a few minutes...but wot else can it be if the phone refuses to charge?

EDIT:

OMFG it worked! I left it plugged in for 5 minutes and I just turned it on and it started up! You dont know how grateful I am! I would really like to thank huckfinn for the disasembly guide and mastercd for the bridging idea! The hardest part for me was getting the cover off. Those plastic clips were a nightmare. I wasn't sure if there was circuitry there so i didn't wanna scratch or damage anything. Anyways i took a chance and thank god there is no circuitry near those 2 plastic clips so you can push hard.

To remove them put the flat headed screw driver in and push up ↑↑↑ to the out side of the case. See pic:

push screwdriver to the top of this page: ↑

Again thanks to everyone! You saved me alot of money and this is a great phone biggrin.gif

Other links i used:
Another more detailed disassembly guide:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:http:...dia.com/mpx200/

Its google cache cos the original page http://techpaedia.com/mpx200 has been deleted smile.gif

Kind Regards

Sk1llS

This post has been edited by Sk1llS: Jan 2 2007, 12:18 PM

+Quote Post
sviru
post Feb 3 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 14,868
Carrier: Orange

Hi! Guys!

If you don't have a 0603 fuse... lying around. You can use a normal GLASS FUSE. As someone mentionded before - breake the glass, take out this super thin wire - 0,5A and put it on the top of the old fuse - You don't have to desolder old fuse. You need only about 2mm of this new wire. Without good soldering gun, and manual skills - don't touch it smile.gif. This was very hard to do - this wire is almost invisible - you need magnifying glass to do it. But the idea is good - it worked for me - so It will work for you also.

Bye bye! smile.gif

+Quote Post
cabosed
post Feb 13 2007, 08:40 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 15,009

Hey, i'm having the same problems you guys had (phone wont charge, doesn't respond when plugged into computer) but when i checked the voltages where you plug in the charger i got a reading of around 2.5V. If the fuse was blown shouldn't i not be getting a reading? I just want to make sure im not going to open my phone up and potentailly kill it (further) for nothing. I have a mpx220 by the way and only 40% battery left sad.gif

I IiiiI IiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiI I

crappy diagram of bottom of phone, got reading from the 2nd and 3rd i, (the I I are the gaps)

help will be very much appreciated tongue.gif

+Quote Post
cabosed
post Feb 16 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 15,009

it worked!!! bit hard when the soldering iron tip is bigger than the fuse tongue.gif but it was a success. thank you to all tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Basit_230@hotmai...
post Jun 22 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #76

Member No.: 15,504

May Peace Be Upon You

hey HUCKFINN: i need some help from u, first of all i wana tell you that while upgrading my only mpx200 with WM2005, after successful upgrading when i unplug it from computer and try to power it on but it is not starting and when i plug it again the computer did not reconise it and phone was unable to charge. please tell me is it fuse deffect or any other problem. please also tell me the solution with your best understanding. please reply soon.

Basit Zia
Basit_230@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
huckfinn
post Jul 19 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #77

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 2,780
Phone: Motorola Q
PocketPC: Other

Wow,

It has been years since I logged on and I am shocked to see this thread still going. I am very grateful for all of the kind words. I have since moved on from my trusty Mpx200, then to a 220 and now on a GSM Q9. I never had this problem with the 220, but I did have to resolder the connector a couple times, so I can not confirm or deny that this same procedure will work on the 220. I think the 200 and the 220 were made by the same company, so it is very likely. Engineers like to resuse as much as possible. Hopefully I will not have to see if the Q is the same.

I never tried the WM5 upgrade, so I can not comment on that. The easy way to tell if it is the fuse is if the unit will charge when turned off. It is my feeling that when the phone is off, it does not use any of the firmware/software, so if it will not charge when the unit is turned off it is most likely a bad fuse.

-HuckFinn

--------------------
-HuckFinn

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:07 AM