IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to fix your MPx200 when it will not charge....
Rotary
post May 16 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,717
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

QUOTE (huckfinn @ Nov 29 2004, 01:51 PM)
DISCLAIMER: You do this at your own risk! There are very small parts on the circuit board and many of them are probably static sensitive. You WILL void your warrantee by doing this and I take NO responsibility for any of the procedures or information that I am providing below. This procedure fixed my phone, yours may be a different problem so you are on your own. Sorry I have to state all this, but you should understand that if you ruin your phone, it is not my fault. Also, if you have never soldered before – I would highly recommend you find someone to do this for you. Again these are very small parts, so you need a very fine tipped soldering iron with a low heat setting. No 100W soldering guns allowed ;-) I would also recommend you wear a static strap that is grounded and you work on a very clean hard surface. With all that stated – Good luck!

Tools needed:

Torx T5 dirver
Digital Multi-meter
Very fine tipped soldering iron settable to low heat
Acid free solder, very thin – NOT PLUMBING SOLDER
Solder wick
0603 size replacement fuse, 0 Ohm resistor, small piece of wire, blob of solder – something to repair the fuse. Obviously the best thing to do is to use a replacement fuse. The designer of the phone thought it was needed, but you do what you want. You can find suppliers of 0603 surface mount fuses on the web, such as http://www.schurterinc.com . The fuse that was used is marked with an F, which signifies a 0.5A rating. If you want to go up a size or two, G is a 0.75A and H is a 1.0A. Surface mount fuses are notorious for de-rating after time, reflow soldering, etc. So very likely 0.5A is the correct size to use, but just after time or the manufacturing process the fuse just blew at a lower current level.
Take your phone apart according to the directions in the "How to strip your MPx200" sticky. You only need to remove the main PCB under the battery compartment. Once you have done this flip the PCB over and look towards the top and locate the fuse, see the attached picture. It is ironically marked with an "F".

With your multimeter check the continuity over this component, if it is open then your fuse is blown. If you have continuity over this part, then you have a different problem with your phone. I would start by checking the solder joints on the USB connector.

First, remove the old fuse. This is easier if you have two soldering irons. Then remove any excess solder from the pads with the solder wick. Then carefully solder the new fuse in it's place. There are other traces and components near by, so use as little solder as possible and be very carefull not to short anything else out. That is it, put the phone back together and see if it works.

This has worked on two phones, so 2 out of 2 isn't too bad. ;-)

[COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rotary
post May 16 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,717
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

Guys you are the best thing after soap and water!!!
My knowledge is limited on this electronics stuff and thanks to Huck and friends I fix my phone (for now). My MPX200 stop charging and after reading your posting I tried to buy and/or order the fuse without luck, then decided buy the $3 Torx5 screwdriver and open the phone. It was the only shot I got (Motorola won't fix it). I followed the instructions to the dots and bridged the fuse (very careful) and PUFF!!! The phone is alive again!!! I'll keep it until I get a good deal on a MPX220.
You guys have no idea how thankful I am to you for your posting. Keep up the wonderful work!
Thanks
Luis
FT Bragg, NC

+Quote Post
knight_2004
post May 17 2005, 06:07 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 8,722

I came across this page on the Internet and I just found the solution to my MPX200 problem. I would like to thank you so much "huckfinn". Actually, I just registered in this forum just to thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone. Your post is wonderful, and your information is so much appreciated, you just don't know. Good luck. Salam

This post has been edited by knight_2004: May 17 2005, 06:08 AM

+Quote Post
prodigio2k
post May 17 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 4,901

can i remove the chip,and just connect the 2 connection straigh foward with solder

+Quote Post
huckfinn
post Jul 11 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #25

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 2,780
Phone: Motorola Q
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Other

QUOTE (prodigio2k @ May 17 2005, 01:49 PM)
can i remove the chip,and just connect the 2 connection straigh foward with solder

That is the same as bridging over the fuse, so yes you can. I recommend finding a replacement fuse, but this works as well - just be sure to use a fused charger then. Same disclaimers apply as I put in the original post wink.gif .

On a side note, thanks for all of the kind words. It is nice to hear that the information I provided is being used and appreciated. I have finally replaced my MPx200 with a MPx220, so I do not always browse this forum. I repaired my phone back in November of last year and it is still working, just wanted a new one rolleyes.gif . If you need any additional guidance/help, fire me off a personal message and I will see what I can do.

--------------------
-HuckFinn

+Quote Post
Pigpaw3
post Jul 23 2005, 05:35 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 9,481
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: None

QUOTE (huckfinn @ Nov 29 2004, 01:51 PM)
DISCLAIMER: You do this This has worked on two phones, so 2 out of 2 isn't too bad. ;-)

Huck you the bomb! Im one of the many writing to say thanks for bringing my MPx200 back from what was going to be a sure death. A power surge burned the fuse out and I would have never found it with out you, Thanks again. I signed on for the first time to thank you and add one tip for the fuse blowers out there that are concerned about jumping the fuse with no protection and having a hard time finding an exact fuse replacement. I think you can get .5A of protection if you get an old style .5A auto fuse ( the clear glass tube with metal capped ends) ,break the glass and take the fine metal fuse wire out. Solder the fuse wire, cut to fit to each end of the installed surface mounted fuse. Im not an electrician and I no cars run on 12 volts but I think the .5A fuse wire still gives you the protection. Good luck to all its a tight fit and I had to grind my soldering gun tip down to a pin point, but the good news is Im 1 for 1.

This post has been edited by Pigpaw3: Jul 23 2005, 05:39 AM

+Quote Post
mrfixit
post Aug 5 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 9,647
PocketPC: Acer

QUOTE (huckfinn @ Nov 29 2004, 05:51 PM)
DISCLAIMER: You do this at your own risk! There are very small parts on the circuit board and many of them are probably static sensitive. You WILL void your warrantee by doing this and I take NO responsibility for any of the procedures or information that I am providing below. This procedure fixed my phone, yours may be a different problem so you are on your own. Sorry I have to state all this, but you should understand that if you ruin your phone, it is not my fault. Also, if you have never soldered before – I would highly recommend you find someone to do this for you. Again these are very small parts, so you need a very fine tipped soldering iron with a low heat setting. No 100W soldering guns allowed ;-) I would also recommend you wear a static strap that is grounded and you work on a very clean hard surface. With all that stated – Good luck!

Tools needed:

Torx T5 dirver
Digital Multi-meter
Very fine tipped soldering iron settable to low heat
Acid free solder, very thin – NOT PLUMBING SOLDER
Solder wick
0603 size replacement fuse, 0 Ohm resistor, small piece of wire, blob of solder – something to repair the fuse. Obviously the best thing to do is to use a replacement fuse. The designer of the phone thought it was needed, but you do what you want. You can find suppliers of 0603 surface mount fuses on the web, such as http://www.schurterinc.com . The fuse that was used is marked with an F, which signifies a 0.5A rating. If you want to go up a size or two, G is a 0.75A and H is a 1.0A. Surface mount fuses are notorious for de-rating after time, reflow soldering, etc. So very likely 0.5A is the correct size to use, but just after time or the manufacturing process the fuse just blew at a lower current level.
Take your phone apart according to the directions in the "How to strip your MPx200" sticky. You only need to remove the main PCB under the battery compartment. Once you have done this flip the PCB over and look towards the top and locate the fuse, see the attached picture. It is ironically marked with an "F".

With your multimeter check the continuity over this component, if it is open then your fuse is blown. If you have continuity over this part, then you have a different problem with your phone. I would start by checking the solder joints on the USB connector.

First, remove the old fuse. This is easier if you have two soldering irons. Then remove any excess solder from the pads with the solder wick. Then carefully solder the new fuse in it's place. There are other traces and components near by, so use as little solder as possible and be very carefull not to short anything else out. That is it, put the phone back together and see if it works.

This has worked on two phones, so 2 out of 2 isn't too bad. ;-)

thank you for the tip, it charge again.

+Quote Post
Thanathos
post Sep 7 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 9,949
Carrier: Vodafone

Thank I resolved my problem with using what you write.
I had some problem to soldering but now my Mpx200 is working
:D

+Quote Post
msyd34
post Sep 7 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 8,674

I am experiencing this very problem. I just purchased the fuse listed previously in this post from Shurter.com and plan to follow the steps to see what happens. Sounds like this is working for some people. The minimum order from Shurter however was 10 fuses, so of course I ordered 10. I only plan on using one and keeping a couple as backups so if anyone needs one feel free to email me at sthompson@bfmed.net and I can drop one in the mail for you. They were cheap, lik 48 cents a piece.

I haven't tried a hard reset because you need a fully charged battery when doing this and since I have no way to charge my phone, I can't get a full battery.

Thanks to everyone for the good info! If this doesn't work I'm going with the Moto A1000! But I love my MPX200! All my friends are blown away when I pull it out to listen to music! Anyone have the Shure ear buds? Completely blocks out all ambient noise leaving you with peace and quite and great sounding music. Great for air travel. Check em out if you like! http://www.shurestore.com/earphones/eseries_e2c.html

eBay has them too, or course. Serious bragging rights having a device that replaces an iPod and makes calls! Let alone all the other features (ie Flight Mode, Sync, Calendar, Contacts...) the phone offers, as yo uall know I'm sure. biggrin.gif

I have about 2 hours of battery life left. And after that I can only hope and pray my phone will come back to life once I replace the fuse. I'll let you know how it goes.

+Quote Post
msyd34
post Sep 15 2005, 07:59 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 8,674

Unsuccessful. Rats!
Be sure your soldering iron is very thin iron!

+Quote Post
dr_geek
post Sep 28 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 8,348

I am going to do this on my phone in few days. I am collecting all necessary tools right now. BTW I would like to know whether 30W soldering iron is more than what I needed or just perfect. Will let you know guys how did this work out for me. Thanks for the great tips and advice.

+Quote Post
esiopa
post Oct 20 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 10,307

Just another experience. Same problem - By the way, I think my problem happened when I plugged in the phone in the US (don't worry - the charger is rated for 50-60Hz, 100-240v). But since then, the phone worked OK but wouldn't charge. Followed the procedure and all OK for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I now have a new problem that the phone seems to have shorted out. I have pretty much a short across the 5V. Went back in and cut my link (didn't bother with a fuse in the original repair !! ohmy.gif ) and now the short is removed but the phone is not charging. When I bridge the fuse again, I have a short again - I wanted to make sure that some of my fine soldering work hadn't bridged something else. So, it looks like the fuse blew originally because of some intermittant short condition. So, my recommendation is that you replace the fuse with a fuse, or better still put a fuse in-line somewhere else. By the way, I noticed something else that could be either a cause or a result of the problem. On the picture included already in this topic, the slightly larger component above the fuse (marked with E 2 ) now appears to have blown. There is a dimple on the component package and heat marks. Don't suppose anyone knows what this is ? I think my investigation work stops here and MPX RIP! Thanks for the original suggestion anyway. Colum

+Quote Post
Worms3d
post Nov 3 2005, 04:36 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 10,428
Phone: Voq
Carrier: T-Mobile
Google Talk ID: baraqa

How funny that this should be my first post! biggrin.gif

mpx200 and it wont charge or even show its charging, can sync with pc but usb charging too aint working; .So I know its the fuse.

i think i will just bridge the fuse. But someone tell me ::what does it involve and how do i do it? smile.gif

+Quote Post
bellers
post Nov 23 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 10,588
Carrier: o2

QUOTE (Toad @ Dec 2 2004, 11:16 AM)
If you're having problems charging your phone, before taking apart your phone, I would first suggest you go into engineering mode by dialing * #**364# and pressing the middle blue key, and then going to Options > Layer 1B > Force Charge.  Also, I would suggest sending your phone back to Motorola under warranty rather than taking it apart, as that would void your warranty.

Force charge works a treat m8. As Toad says and thanks to him for the tip.
I picked up a mpx200 on ebay uk sim locked to orange. The first thing I done of course was to flash upgrade the phone to win mobile 2003 to unlock it and get rid of all the orange stuff on it. But to my dismay the charge the battery held was awfull sad.gif (probably because I didnt make sure the phone was fully charged before I done the upgrade). So I tried the force charge thing that Toad suggested and also done a full reset (switch phone on while pressing the blue button) And volia! its now 30 hours since I done it and the battery i still at 90% charge! . Not a bad improvement from 4 hours max!

One word of warning. A full reset will clear all your personal settings to default. Things like your calendar entries, phone owner info, Internet settings will go back to default.

THe only thing I am now having problems with is getting the o2 GPRS internet working sad.gif anyone ?

+Quote Post
rsys6868
post Dec 10 2005, 05:30 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 10,698

Anyone who bridged the connection between the fuse? So far any problems with the charging and the phone?

I fused the charger and hopefully it will avoid blowing any fuses in the phone in the future. =)

This post has been edited by rsys6868: Dec 18 2005, 03:44 PM

+Quote Post
slhtonz
post Dec 13 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 10,720

Thanks ... phone works great.

I bridged the fuse after giving up on trying to get it off... when I get back home (currently at college) I'll have access to another soldering iron, which will help a lot.

I just ordered the fuses from Schurter... msyd34 lost 'em. They were $.48 a piece, had to order ten, just like he said... though their shipping prices are currently in low orbit ($10 blink.gif ). If any of you guys need one, shoot me an email (just look in my profile for the link, it'll get to me). Hopefully mine won't disappear into the black hole of doom junk drawer too, but I can't make any guarantees unsure.gif

As for your question rsys6868, I soldered a little wire over the fuse. It seemed like it was on there somewhat weakly, but I've managed to drop the phone on to carpet once or twice and left it on vibrate through a salvo of text messages... still works great. Keep in mind, though, this is a less than ideal permanent solution... the fuse gave its life for some reason or another, so there's a very real chance your phone could be next w/o the fuse.

And I was wondering, how long did you guys have your MPx's before you had to do this? Mine's been alive and kicking for about two and a half years now... and still going strong.

+Quote Post
Firefly
post Dec 20 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 7,964

I also tried this fix...

Since I could not get hold of a replacement fuse, thought I would just bidge the connection.
Wasn't very easy since the solder was not holding to the contacts (maybe the soldering lead was not good enough) and took me a while to manage the bridging...
Boy, the fuse is damn small... and I am sure I touched some of the nearby components with the soldering iron...

But nonetheless, I put my phone for charging and it was charging!!!
I fully charged the phone... used it for the whole day without any problems...
set the alarm for the morning while I went to sleep...

morning I woke up to the faint noise from the phone which sounded like the noise of continuos firing of a small relay! and this started at exactly the time I had set the alarm to.

I checked the phone and RATS!!! the display would not come up.
I removed the battery and put it back... and the phone does not turn on again...
I haven't looked at tha state of the fuse bridge but I guess my phone is dead for good...

--------------------
MPx200 WM5 : SanDisk 1GB
RAZR V3i : SanDisk 512MB

+Quote Post
sofene
post Dec 26 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 7,904
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
PocketPC: Toshiba

How to force charge mpx200 running wm5.0??

QUOTE (Toad @ Dec 2 2004, 10:16 AM)
If you're having problems charging your phone, before taking apart your phone, I would first suggest you go into engineering mode by dialing * #**364# and pressing the middle blue key, and then going to Options > Layer 1B > Force Charge.  Also, I would suggest sending your phone back to Motorola under warranty rather than taking it apart, as that would void your warranty.
Is there an equivalent command for mpx200 running wm5.0. This doesn't seem to work with wm5.0. Says 'command not supported' but works with my mpx220 running wm2003se. Anyone please help.

This post has been edited by sofene: Dec 26 2005, 06:37 PM

+Quote Post
homerjs
post Dec 30 2005, 07:36 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 10,244

So far I read bad experiences about bridging the fuse.
Anyone has good experiences with bridging the fuse?

+Quote Post
homerjs
post Dec 30 2005, 08:23 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 10,244

I have a question about the replacement fuse, does it have to be a
slow fuse? or a fast one?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:27 AM