Post #21

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,753
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

I agree that a QWERTY keyboar doesn't automatically make a device a PDA phone. As far as someone actually making changes on my accound without notifying me or asking for my approval, it has happened before to me. Thats why I am not taking chances.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Firemedic17
post Jan 8 2007, 04:22 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 14,460
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: Alltel
MP3 Player: iPod Video

I agree on the PDA plan is WRONG ! I went to the retail store and ask them to add the smart phone unlimited plan to my '3125'. so I had to lie but I got it. I have noticed the I get no video from cingular video. it prompts me to update my plan. I can live with that. all the speed tests that have been completed while in 3g coverage are 700-1MEG. so I can live with no Video.

+Quote Post
earl
post Apr 12 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,193
Phone: Cingular 8525
PocketPC: HTC

Hey all,
I just signed up today for the $20 smartphone plan with my blackjack, and the rep told me that if I wanted unlimited data for my wife's PDA phone we'd have to pay for the $40 plan. The reality is that they have no idea which device you are using at any time. I could just tell them my wife is still using her MPx220 and then she'll get the $20 rate as well. Another interesting thing: technically I'm not supposed to use my phone as a modem, that requires a "laptop connect" plan for $60 per month. Do they monitor the amount of 'unlimited' data I use and if it gets to be too much, charge me more?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Apr 12 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I'm not exactly sure how Cingular monitors data usage. Some companies (VZW) do monitor the amount of data used, and will cut you off for using too much. When you connect your phone as a modem is does actually appear as a different type of data usage, so they can tell you are using the phone as a modem and will charge you extra for it. I've read several reports of that happening. If you want to use your phone as a modem, and be sure Cingular can't tell you are, try PdaNet. It works to connect your phone as a modem, but appears to be the phone using data instead of a PC.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
earl
post Apr 12 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Thanks for the good advice, Smeg! Those folks at Cingular/ATT don't seem to be very well informed...I've had some weird interactions with Cingular today. Yesterday I signed up for the $20 data plan for my blackjack. About half an hour later my wife's phone stops working. They deactivated her SIM card, and activated the new one that had come with her new 8125. I suspected that they had added data to her number and not mine, so I called them today. The first person I spoke to said that no data plan had been added to any line on our account, and then told me the "Blackjack is a PDA, you have to pay for the $40 plan." I told her that was not gonna happen, she transferred me to someone else. The next person I talked to seemed a bit more tech savvy, he told me that in fact yesterday they HAD added the $20 data plan to my phone line. Still, he tried to sell me the PDA plan, saying that although the blackjack is not a PPC, it is more advanced than other smartphones and is much better with the PDA plan. Still, he couldn't tell me the difference between the plans (other than the 20 dollar price difference). I believe his argument was blackjack is 'optimized' for the PDA plan, hahaha.
Life is pretty good, my wife is now a gadget junkie too. Since she asked me for a blackberry 6 months ago and I 'accidentally' bought her a Mpx220, she's been reformed, hallelujah. Last week she got herself a refurb 8125 because she was jealous of my blackjack. so now we have a little family of gadgets to play with. Too bad we can't afford data plans for both lines.

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Apr 15 2007, 08:07 AM
Post #26

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 9,763
Phone: Cingular 8125

hopefully at&t will fix this crap i miss at&t they used to give there members free monthes or 50 dollars off my bil

+Quote Post
speck2001
post May 4 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 15,368
PocketPC: Other
MP3 Player: iPod

A coworker of mine just purchased a Blackjack with the $19.99 dataplan. I just purchased a Blackjack as an upgrade from my MPX220. When I asked for the $19.99 data plan, I was told (as you all were) that it was for regular phones, not PDA phones- and that I needed the $39.99 PDA Connect plan. I got the same story from calling Cingular as I did at the local Cingular brick and mortar store. I've read all of your posts and was wondering if anyone has a final solution for this situation. I have my Blackjack now with the $39.99 plan- but really want to switch to that $19.99 plan if it truly is unlimited. Is there a consumer advocate or Better Business Bureau type org. that we can get help from? This seems like highway robbery!

+Quote Post
earl
post May 5 2007, 05:27 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

speck,

Just keep calling and arguing until you get someone who will change you to the $20 smartphone plan. Or, cancel the plan and then re-sign up on the web so you won't have to deal with those customer service imbeciles at Cingular. I'm a bit jaded toward Cingular at the moment, I've had a problem with them lately and this morning was the kicker. I already ranted about it once today here. I feel another rant coming on, so I'd better just say be prepared to argue with some very uninformed and idiotic service reps.

+Quote Post
speck2001
post May 6 2007, 05:21 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 15,368
PocketPC: Other
MP3 Player: iPod

Well, I went to a Cingular kiosk at my local mall. They said that I could use the MediaMax 200 plan for $19.99, and don't have to have the PDA $45 plan. They said that the only difference is that I won't have "push" email- which I don't need anyway, I can always check my email periodically. However, he did say that if I change my data plan, it might void the rebate. My thought is that if I wait until I get my rebate, the extra $25 per month will be more than if I bought the phone without a rebate and did the $19.99 plan now.

Any thoughts ?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:12 AM