Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Is this only happening to people running on Cingular? I read the HoFO thread and it seemed that the 850 band was a problem. Anyone running T-Mobile and having an issue?

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jul 28 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #22

Site Administrator
Group Icon

I must really love my wife. The Qtek 8500 arrived today and what a nice phone. I charged the phone, transferred her contacts and synced her Outlook to the Qtek. I actually gave her the phone. I was seriously thinking of keeping it and using my T-Mobile account a little more. I like the build, both screens, the keypad is excellent especially compared to the SMT5600. A very nice smartphone and it makes me wish I had a flipper again. Especially an ultra thin black beauty like the Qtek 8500.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
LittleScooby
post Aug 2 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 352

Chawks2, how is the screen size compared to the MPX200? Are they the exact same size?

You said it feels a little cheap, can you elaborate?

Do you feel it's worth the upgrade from the MPX200? What do you like the most about it that the MPX200 couldn't do?

Do custom ringtones work perfectly with it?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 2 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #24

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (LittleScooby @ Aug 1 2006, 05:01 PM) *
...how is the screen size compared to the MPX200? Are they the exact same size?
I don't have the Star Trek, but have been VERY interested in it for myself. Both devices are the same 2.2 inches.

QUOTE (LittleScooby @ Aug 1 2006, 05:01 PM) *
What do you like the most about it that the MPX200 couldn't do?
I have the MPx200 and 220 and two things come to mind: BlueTooth and Java. Now, this is based on how I use MY phone (since the 220 has both these capabilities). Your preference might be different than mine. I would not want to go back to the 200 for the BT alone. But, that's just me. wink.gif

I was very interested in the Star Trek 'cuz I wanted my phone to be able to pass music on to my BT headset and since I listen to music a lot on my phone - the external media control buttons seem handy. I believe Star Trek can do the music to BlueTooth thing - but at the expense of losing a regular headset jack. It ONLY has a special mini usb jack that is not the same as other phones. So, if you have got good stereo headphones that you want to use with the phone you need to get an adapter to do so. You know, you gain one thing and you lose another. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
LittleScooby
post Aug 2 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Aug 1 2006, 04:41 PM) *
You know, you gain one thing and you lose another. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

That pretty much sums up the MPX220 as well. Why can't a phone come out that just blows away the previous model?

When the 220 came out, you gained the camera and a few other things, but you had to give up the solid build quality, and small size (220 was slightly larger than the 200).

It's a Catch-22 all around on these Clamshell smartphones.

The Star Trek does look like it has quite a few nice enhancements over the MPX200, but it doesn't seem to blow the MPX200 completely out of the water (at least in terms of build quality from what I have been reading). The MPX200 was solid, but from what I hear, the Star Trek feels a little too light\cheap.

Oh well.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 2 2006, 06:28 AM
Post #26

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

[left]
QUOTE (LittleScooby @ Aug 1 2006, 07:12 PM) *
...Why can't a phone come out that just blows away the previous model?
How many times have I thought that same exact thing?

QUOTE (LittleScooby @ Aug 1 2006, 07:12 PM) *
...The MPX200 was solid, but from what I hear, the Star Trek feels a little too light\cheap.
I've read more than once it feels like a dummy phone and/or a toy. I know what you mean about the 200. It feels real good in your hand. Like it's a thing of very high quality. I know a few people who have the RAZR, and while they like the thin profile - the next thing out of their mouth usually is...it feels great! Solid...heavier than expected. You get the picture. Apparently (ahem) HTC took a few design leads from the RAZR...but missed this important one.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Aug 2 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,800

The problem with the missed calls is a global one. I have heard a VERY SMALL community of people have been lucky enough not to experience this problem. However, those people have documented issues when traveling or going outside their normal service area.

The screen is much sharper than the MPx200. They appear to be about the same size, however, applications do not take up the full screen as they did prior with the mpx.

When I said it seems a little cheap and flimsy, I meant the material of the phone. Don't get me wrong, the phone is beautiful, but the construction feels "plasticy" and light. If I dropped this phone on the floor the wrong way, I have a feeling it would explode into 300 different pieces. laugh.gif

I guess that's true of any phone really...

Word of warning about bluetooth on this phone. If you plan to get a BT headset the audio will not output in stereo, only mono channels are supported w/ BT headsets. huh.gif

This post has been edited by chawks2: Aug 2 2006, 11:57 AM

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 2 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #28

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (chawks2 @ Aug 2 2006, 04:47 AM) *
...Word of warning about bluetooth on this phone. If you plan to get a BT headset the audio will not output in stereo, only mono channels are supported w/ BT headsets. huh.gif
I've read that too. I think I've also read there is a fix? Though, I can't remember what the "fix" is. If I had the device, I'd look into it more. If I think of it, I'll look into it later and post back what I find.

You know, my initial "want" was that while wearing my "mono" BT headset I could get music put through to it. Most days I have my BT headset with me, not my wired stereo headset that I only use at home while working in the yard or cleaning house etc. So, "in theory" at first read I thought "that's OK" I only need the music in mono to keep me entertained for a few minutes while I grocery shop, wait in line "wherever", etc. But, then after reality hit and I realized the headset plug on the device was proprietary and that if you wanted to use good headphones you couldn't and therefore would have to find a BT stereo headset - all kinds of disappointment set in. sad.gif

I still "want" the phone 'cuz it's a flipper. And, sometimes, you just have to use something yourself to know if it fits you. Reading everybody else's opinions sometimes just creates more doubt that might not really fit your own situation. If the opportunity presents itself, I will get a Star Trek in my hands and give it try. I haven't seen a phone yet that doesn't disappoint in some way. Seems to be the nature of the beast. We always want more!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 3 2006, 07:42 AM
Post #29

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Aug 2 2006, 12:12 PM) *
I've read that too. I think I've also read there is a fix? Though, I can't remember what the "fix" is. If I had the device, I'd look into it more. If I think of it, I'll look into it later and post back what I find.
I found what I was referring to. I've pasted in bold below to make it easy, or you can click on the link to read it in it's original forum. The original post is here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...age=3&pp=15

There is talk earlier in the thread about an A2DP hacked cab from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/download.php?id=11888

But, by the end of thread they seem to have settled on the fix in post #33 which I've pasted below:

Post #33
It's a simple registry change. Go to:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Bluetooth\A2DP\Settings

Change the UseJointStereo value to 0 from 1.

Once the phone is restarted, you should have true stereo enabled via bluetooth.

I suggest reading the entire thread. I don't have the device to try it myself so I can't speak to if it works or, how well. I just knew I remembered reading there was a way around the "mono" issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Aug 3 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #30

Site Administrator
Group Icon

My wife just returned from a 4 day business trip and reported that her Qtek 8500 is operating great. No dropped calls or missed messages. I will try the A2DP hack tonight and see if that works.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
abatis
post Aug 15 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #31

Site Administrator
Group Icon

My wife has dropped the Qtek8500 and the both screens are black. It will boot and I can remote the screen view on my desktop. I don't think there is any damage beyond the screen. Now I will find out how easy or difficult it will be to get the screen fixed.

If I can get it fixed I plan to get her a case that covers the phone during use. I just wish she would use a bluetooth and leave the phone in the case.

For her this was no big deal, she went into my home office grabbed a SMT5600 off the shelf and went on her merry way. Oh, she did leave me a note that she had dropped the phone.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 15 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #32

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Oh, man, that's terrible!!! ohmy.gif I'd be up to my ears in tears!!!! I put my new phone (not a Star Trek) on a lanyard yesterday just to keep me from doing what your wife has done. Good luck restoring the screens! Too bad it will have to be encased once it's fixed. It's such eye candy as is. Casing it, or never taking it out of a pouch, sort of defeats one of the prime reasons for owning it - whipping it out in front of friends, family, and strangers to the sound of their ooohs and aahs! laugh.gif Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
chawks2
post Aug 16 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 1,800

I figured it would not survive a drop. 'Tis unfortunate.

+Quote Post
LittleScooby
post Aug 16 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #34

QUOTE (chawks2 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:10 PM) *
I figured it would not survive a drop. 'Tis unfortunate.

Holy Moly!

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Aug 21 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #35

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

I wonder why type of a drop it was. I just dropped my smartflip for the first time the other day, from about waist level onto the pavement, and strangly there isn't a mark on it and everything still works.

BTW: Abatis, did you ever get the chance to test out A2DP on it?

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
abatis
post Aug 21 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #36

Site Administrator
Group Icon

My wife dropped it on the gym floor at our local high school. She was registering our son and pulled the phone out and fumbled it. There is not one mark on the phone. As far as the A2DP, she would not let me play with it until she was done with a project she was working on.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Aug 23 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #37

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

I think I am going to have to break down and get a set of BT headphones to play with. Heck, if it works out then my phone could replace my 512mb iRiver that I use when I go running. Even that way I would have a phone on me while I was out incase something happened or someone needed to reach me. Pondering, and pondering.

Abatis, keep us posted on what you decide. If it is too constly to repair, then you could consider taking it apart and seeing if it is something as simple as a loose ribbon. Any rate, just let us know...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
jvanliew
post Nov 7 2006, 04:41 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 2,416

I have a set of Jabra BT wireless Stereo headphones, BT620.

They are great. They work well with the 3125 too. The olny thing that is kind of a pain, is you have to reset up the stereo bluetooth each time you user the headphones. Not too bad though.

They have really good sound. I am very happy with them. It's nice to be able to control the windows media player from the headset too. You can adjust the volume, advance to the next tune, or go back to the previous tune, all from the headset. Also if you get a call, the music will stop, you push a button to accept the call, then when the call is over, the music starts again. And people have said the call quality is good.

I am having some trouble getting Windows Media player to copy over my playlists. It seems if I only copy over a little bit at a time that works. When I tried to copy over 900mb of tunes, things goot screwed up, and the playlists did work and I couldn't see them weel. I think I'm through that now, seems to be working ok.

But today my mp3 ringtones stopped working for some reason....anyone see that before?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:56 PM