IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fizz Traveller/Weather, require Internet/data contacts?
Xeno
post Oct 20 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,190
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel

My contract is phone only, nothing for data or Internet although I think I can like send email and pay for the time that I use.

These programs - Fizz Traveller and Fizz Weather - are of interest to me. Do these require Internet/data contacts is how do they work?

Sorry for loading the boards witht he ABCs of smartphones, but I am finally trying to learn how they work. I hope to eventually be able to answer some questions in the future rather than always asking about the basics.

--------------------
Cingular 3125, MPX 220 1.43
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 20 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Yes, they require a data connection to update the information they provide. You can set it to only do so when connected to your PC though so you don't pay any data fee from your carrier, it will just use your PC internet connection. If you really want to get full use of a Smartphone a data plan is the first thing I'd get. I use the internet on my phones more than anything else, and would never get a plan without unlimited data.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 20 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

I have Cingular's "Pay As You Go" plan where I pay for just what I use. No included voice or data. But, it's all available to me on a per minute or per kb basis. My voice minutes cost .25 each and data cost .01 per k.

I do like Smeg suggested and the big downloads I make on a daily basis (like AvantGo) I do from home while synced up or via wifi - so I'm not charged for the heavy data download.

The reason I have "Pay As You Go" is I hardly used my phone...until I got caught up in this SmartPhone stuff that is! It sounds to me like you have a voice plan which is the expensive part of the equation as far as I'm concerned.

Cingular offers add on data plans. One plan is $9.99 and only includes 5mb. The other cost $19.99 (so, just $10 more) and you get unlimited data. That's the route I would go. I just haven't been able to see my way clear to spending a minimum of $30 for a voice plan that I hardly use. But, since you've already bought into that, to get data will cost you $10 or $20 more. Unless, you just stick to doing your data transfers while you're using ActiveSync connected to a computer at home or your office which will cost nothing extra.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 20 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #4

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Oct 20 2006, 04:43 PM) *
I have Cingular's "Pay As You Go" plan where I pay for just what I use. No included voice or data. But, it's all available to me on a per minute or per kb basis. My voice minutes cost .25 each and data cost .01 per k.

I do like Smeg suggested and the big downloads I make on a daily basis (like AvantGo) I do from home while synced up or via wifi - so I'm not charged for the heavy data download.

The reason I have "Pay As You Go" is I hardly used my phone...until I got caught up in this SmartPhone stuff that is! It sounds to me like you have a voice plan which is the expensive part of the equation as far as I'm concerned.

Cingular offers add on data plans. One plan is $9.99 and only includes 5mb. The other cost $19.99 (so, just $10 more) and you get unlimited data. That's the route I would go. I just haven't been able to see my way clear to spending a minimum of $30 for a voice plan that I hardly use. But, since you've already bought into that, to get data will cost you $10 or $20 more. Unless, you just stick to doing your data transfers while you're using ActiveSync connected to a computer at home or your office which will cost nothing extra.

Thanks. I have access to costly family national plan that minimizes what I personally pay. My office already pays for 2 or arguably 3 Internet accounts for me so I don't know if they would pay to have it on my phone. I travel enough and should be outside the USA next year which made me think the Fizz Fraveller might be of some use to me but with things the way they are $20 a month might not be a good idea.

I was just hoping there was some program that I could use my minutes to call in and get all the data needed at the time.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Oct 20 2006, 10:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Nov 25 2006, 01:33 AM
Post #5

Gadget Junkie

I am looking at this program again while reviewing upcoming trips.

Two questions are before me now:

(1) How much memory does the traveller software use? VC 1.6 takes so much memory, I don't know how many more programs I can load.

(2) I looked at the manual but am confused about the home screen. Does their home screen take over the one by Cingular? Or only when activated? Or can you set it to only show parts of the data on the Cingular home screen.

Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 25 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

1) I don't remember exactly. A couple MB I think.

2) There are seceral options. It doesn install it's own homescreen, but you don't have to use it. You could take the Cingular .xml homescreen file, open it in notepad, and insert the Fizz plugin to the Cingular homescreen if you want. It can be a little confusing to edit an .xml in notepad, and there are hmescreen exitors out there thar may be able to put the Fizz plugin to the Cingular homescreen.

I'd be more than happy to insert it for you if you want. Just post the Cingular .xml (either the actual file as an attachment, or copy/paste the info directly from notepad), and tell me where you want want it on the homescreen (between other plugins), and I'd do it when I got a chance. I think editing homescreens is fun, and worth learning how to do if you're willing to put some time in it though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Nov 25 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #7

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 24 2006, 09:44 PM) *
1) I don't remember exactly. A couple MB I think.

2) There are seceral options. It doesn install it's own homescreen, but you don't have to use it. You could take the Cingular .xml homescreen file, open it in notepad, and insert the Fizz plugin to the Cingular homescreen if you want. It can be a little confusing to edit an .xml in notepad, and there are hmescreen exitors out there thar may be able to put the Fizz plugin to the Cingular homescreen.

I'd be more than happy to insert it for you if you want. Just post the Cingular .xml (either the actual file as an attachment, or copy/paste the info directly from notepad), and tell me where you want want it on the homescreen (between other plugins), and I'd do it when I got a chance. I think editing homescreens is fun, and worth learning how to do if you're willing to put some time in it though.

Thanks for this generous offer Smeg36. For now, I am still studying the program but if it requires editing the xml file that might slow me down. In the manual available at http://www.fizzsoftware.com/products/trave...raveller2.4.pdf they talk about the latest version - 2.4 - and it has a section on what they call a homescreen plug in. According to the documentation it is now installed along with the original program. Maybe that bypasses the need of manually editing the xml file.

I need to just install the program and see what I get but after things not going well with a program on my first phone I don't want to get in over my head. I do use Sprite now so I suppose I could go back to my current configuration if there are complications.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Nov 25 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Try out the trial. If you don't like it then you can always just remove it via remove programs on the phone, or add/remove through activesync.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Nov 25 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #9

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Nov 25 2006, 04:20 PM) *
Try out the trial. If you don't like it then you can always just remove it via remove programs on the phone, or add/remove through activesync.

Sorry to be so cautious, but you really think that I can completely remove this program if I don't like it or it causes a problem?

The only programs I have installed are VC 1.6, Sprite BackUp, and DontForget 2Beta1.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Nov 28 2006, 02:16 AM
Post #10

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Remove programs via activesync worked for me to uninstall and remove it.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
mkestu
post Dec 4 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #11

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 3,088
Phone: Cingular 3125
PocketPC: Other
PMC: Other

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 24 2006, 09:44 PM) *

Do I need to buy the Fizz app if all I want is the homescreen plugin?

If not, can someone post the plugin here?

--------------------
Mike S (mkestu)

HTC StarTrek aka 3125
1G microSD
ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Bluespoon AX2 & JawBoneII
Garmin GPS10x BT GPS

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 4 2006, 03:22 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

The app is where the plugin get the info to display. If you don't have the app installed on the phone, you'll just have a blank area on the screen where the plugin should be. The plugin is actually the reason I got this app though. I don't really care enough about the weather to look it up online, but if it is just showing on my homescreen I'll stay informed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mkestu
post Dec 5 2006, 02:29 AM
Post #13

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 3,088
Phone: Cingular 3125
PocketPC: Other
PMC: Other

ditto...

thanks

--------------------
Mike S (mkestu)

HTC StarTrek aka 3125
1G microSD
ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Bluespoon AX2 & JawBoneII
Garmin GPS10x BT GPS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:20 PM