post Jan 20 2005, 02:20 PM
Post #1

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

The options page (broken up here into two screenshots) allows you to choose tilesets and backgrounds, game mode, online scoring, when high scores are displayed, and many other options.

Once you press GO, the first board comes up. The object of the game is to match two unblocked tiles which will remove them from the board. Ultimately leaving no tiles remaining. What exactly is an unblocked tile? I will again refer to the rules page which does a very good job of explaining how tiles can be removed and what makes a matching pair.

Once you clear a board you move to the next round (in tournament mode only). After you fail on a board your high score is recorded.

The SmartPhone screen size presents some unique challenges for developers, but I think they did a good job creating this SmartPhone version of a very popular PC game. The biggest challenge relates to the size of the sccreen which affects image clarity. Looking at the board screenshot above you can see how hard the tiles are to read. I found myself guessing about what a tile really said to see if they would match and come off the board or not. It's a little hard on the eyes as you strain to see what the tile really says. C-Labs does state that you can load up new tilesets, and you might find one that makes this game a little easier to see. In order to download tile sets you must be online. Then the game will tell you that new tile sets are available.

C-Labs also supports online scoring! About every 2 minutes the updated scores show up on www.pocket-jongg.com. But in order to have your scores recorded you must select the "Enable Online Scoring" checkbox in the NEW GAME start screen.

All things considered it's a good game. But it does have challenges for your eyes. With the right combination of background and tile sets you should be able to become as addicted to the SmartPhone version as the desktop version of this ancient game.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 PM