Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I managed to aquire a slightly used VOQ Professional Model A11 from a world traveling tech guru. The VOQ Professional comes in either the A11 which has 850/1800/1900 bands or the Euro A10 that comes in 900/1800/1900 bands. This phone has a fantastic radio stack. The reception with my ATT SIM yielded 4 bars with the VOQ in my home office. My MPX200 only gets 2 bars in the excact same location. For this review I am using a T-Mobile SIM. The reception is great on both the VOQ and MPX200 in this location with T-Mobile. Overall this is a nicely built phone with some powerfull features, including the unique flip open QWERTY keypad shown in the photo below. The phone operates on the Windows SmartPhone 2003 OS.

The main feature of the VOQ include:

Voq phone's 200 MHz Intel Xscale

Support for large amounts of storage (Voq phone has 48MB of ROM with over 20MB available for your software, music and images), Secure

Digital (SD) expansion cards and plenty of operating memory (Voq phone has 32MB RAM with 16MB available to you)
Support for bright, high resolution screen

A powerful operating system designed to support many applications at once (listen to music, take a call, view a video, update your calendar)

Support for QWERTY text input using the Voq thumbpad
Always-there work and personal e-mail – supporting your corporation’s existing VPN infrastructure, and accessing leading business e-mail servers

Java Virtual Machine supporting MIDP 2.0 from the Tao Group™

Multi Media Messaging Service (MMS) support using Jataayu™ jMMS software

Predictive Text entry from Zi Corporation™ - makes it easy to enter text when you only have one hand free

Voice Dialling Software from Advanced Recognition Technology (ART™) – lets you dial a number or a contact name just by saying a word.

Here is a look at the basic home screen. This one is titled VoqMail in the homescreen setting menu.

This screenshot shows some of the goodies that come standard on the phone like JMMS messaging and a few must haves I added like BetaPlayer.

I had to download and try a Java Game. This one is called Street Fighter. Simple but fun.

A big difference between the VOQ and the MPX200 is the VOQ's memory. I have loaded everything I had on the MPX200 onto this phone and it still has 8.46MBs available.

The MMS works great on this 2003 OS phone.

A unique feature is MyVoq. I am still learning how to use it but basically the phone has an extra key below the joy stick, yes a real joy stick, that opens MyVoq. It gives you a link to key features you want to access quickly.

Here using the slick Qwerty fold out keypad, I type the word Chris, MyVoq starts giving me options of what to do with Chris.

A unique feature is the VoqUpdate client. You execute the client and it scans the Voq home site for updates. It will automatically update over the air or give you instructions on what updates require a PC interface. AT&T would never need this feature:).

I am impressed with this phone so far. The great reception, massive memory, and the qwerty keypad make it a great business phone. The OS runs fine and has not crashed or caused any problems to date. I have not tested battery life yet, but it seems good.One downside is the fact that the USB connector does not act as a charger, you have to use a separate AC connector for charging. I will keep you posted as I learn more.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Worms3d
post Nov 8 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Phone: Voq
Carrier: T-Mobile
Google Talk ID: baraqa

i love this phone, great battery life compared tomy mpx200
question : how do I set up MMS on the phone, i have given up calling 611
sad.gif

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 9 2005, 03:12 AM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Just down load the ZIP file from this T-Mobile Setup and unzip on your PC. Move the Tmoset.Cab and if needed the GPRS set CAB to your phone. Execute the CABs by double clicking. Tmoset should set up the Arcsoft MMS. To use MMS you need to have the service enabled by T-Mobile. Use the T-mobile.com site as an easy way to add features. MMS works great on the Voq.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 26 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,455
Phone: Blackjack
PocketPC: None
PMC: Creative Zen

Me too am on day 1 of this phone. This phone has the best radio stack on any GSM phone I have ever used! What a great platform! I wonder if they missed the wrong segment by not pricing the product appropriately. Now they are discontinuing this superb product and I am finding not too many peripherals available (cradle is ridiculously priced at $80). I decided to buy a battery just in case the product drops out of the scene...

--------------------
lonesome vzw smartphone user

+Quote Post
GHG
post Nov 28 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 859

Greetings - Is this phone still on the market? I went to there web site and they say there out of the phone business. - Thanks - GHG cool.gif

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 28 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

You can buy the phone for a great price on Ebay VOQ right now. You can get the whole phone set for $80 if you look around.

Also you can still find support at VOQ. VOQ is owned by Sierra Wireless and they are not going out of business. They stopped producing the VOQ not supporting it.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 28 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #7

just a word of caution there are a few resellers that are marketing the A10 which is not the preferred US version.

$80 - maybe i should get another one for backup. can you PM me where you saw this? it will be some time before they even come up with a phone with the same price point with a keyboard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 29 2005, 03:26 AM
Post #8

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Check out Ebaying for a Voq

Also batteries are going for around $15 bucks with shipping. I think I will buy one.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 29 2005, 04:54 AM
Post #9

Yep, I went for the extra battery already although I'd really like a cradle. I just got T-zones working on my phone. I used the MPX200 settings somebody posted on the forum. What a sleeper of a phone...

This post has been edited by jsmith: Nov 29 2005, 04:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jgcorn
post Dec 12 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,708
Phone: Voq
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

Yup, I love my phone, though my carrier (Cellular One) refused to give me any help at all on setting things up for GPRS Internet since I didn't buy the phone from them. However, I found what I needed through a Howard Forum. I got mine on eBay (using eSnipe -- LOVE IT!) for $62. The company charges $24.99 for shipping, however! Anyway, a total of $89.99, and I think it's worth it.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 12 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (jgcorn @ Dec 12 2005, 11:43 AM)
Yup, I love my phone, though my carrier (Cellular One) refused to give me any help at all on setting things up for GPRS Internet since I didn't buy the phone from them.  However, I found what I needed through a Howard Forum.  I got mine on eBay (using eSnipe -- LOVE IT!) for $62.  The company charges $24.99 for shipping, however!  Anyway, a total of $89.99, and I think it's worth it.

most any network setting will be the same as on an MPX200 or other smartphone. good to have another VOQ owner on the board!

This post has been edited by jsmith: Dec 12 2005, 06:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:13 AM