IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cingular 8525 Guide, Tips and Tricks and other info.
omega2008
post Dec 13 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

Are you looking to buy or already have purchaced a 8525/HTC Hermes varient? If so then this guide is for you. Hopefully you will find it informative and will help you get the most out of your device. I will be listing programs that I use, registry edits, and accessories.

Programs:

SPB Diary

This program is a today screen plug-in that allows you to view your contacts, tasks, email, notes, and calender right on your homescreen. To download a trial and read about the features, click on link above.

Resco Utility Package

This package includes Resco Explorer 2005, Resco Photo Viewer, Resco Keyboard Plus, Resco Registry Add-in and Resco FTP Add-in. This a great package and I uses all these programs frequently, give them a try before you buy and read about the features via the link above.
*TILL JANUARY 10, 2007 ALL RESCO PRODUCTS ARE 30% OFF!!*

Pocket Informant 2007

This is buy far the best PIM program out there in my opinion it is feature packed and is a must have for anyone that has a busy lifestyle. Another great PIM program is Agenda Fusion 8, and for those who don't need so many advanced features take a look at Agenda One for PPC.

fit4cat Hermes Tweaker v1.1a

This program enables features that are disabled by default and enhances others. Best of all its FREE.

Windows Live Search for Windows Mobile

This is one slick program, you can search for any location, get a detailed map, and directions to and from that location. There are arial views and you can save your searches, and best of all when you look up a listing you can highlight the phone number and it dials it for you. Its a must have, check it out via the link above

HTC X-Button

This app causes the X button to actually close the program instead of sending it to the background. This helps free up program memory.

PTT button remap

Developed by a member over at xda-developers. Lets you use the PTT button and assign actions to it like the other hard keys.

There are ALOT of other programs out there for your new PPC. These are just the ones I have installed.

Registry Edits:

Editing the Registry can be dangerous and could damage your phone if you make a mistake. Back up your phone's data and programs just incase you have to hard reset from a registry edit that has gone wrong.

Alot of registry edits that will for the most part work on the 8525 have been compiled in numerous places, I will attempt to compile a list of links to these.

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...Hermes_Registry
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=257415
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...M5_Tweaks_Other
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...aks_Performance

That should about do it. If there are anymore that you find not listed in any of these links then please post it smile.gif .

Registy Editing FAQ:

Q: When I make a registry edit nothing changes, why?
A: After performing a registry edit you must soft reset the device (insert the tip of your stylus into the reset hole on the bottom of the phone.)

Q: When I reset my device the registry edit does not stick, why?
A: You need to change the registry system from hive based to file based. This will cause any registry edits to stick after soft reseting. To do this you need to perform the following registry edit:

HKLM\System\ObjectStore
RegistryType=1 (which means Hive based registry.)
Change to:
RegistryType=0

NOTE:
After the change you have to reset the device via a program. I suggest you install a program on your phone that will require a soft reset after installation. These kinds of programs will ask if you want to soft reset your device now or later, tap yes to now and the device will soft reset. This is the only way! It will not work if you use the stylus to press the hardware soft reset button.

Accessories:

I have several accessories for my 8525, some are nessasary some or not. I am going to list the ones that you should get that will either enhance your device or protect it.

Screen Protectors are a MUST! If you plan on keeping your screen scrach free, then a good screen protector is required. There are all kinds made from different manufacturers. I have only used screen protectors from two of them, Boxwave and Martin Fields. Both are great but the Martin Fields protectors are stronger in my opinion and are a bit clearer than the Boxwave ones. There are other manufactures out there and you may be interested to see what they have to offer, do some research before you buy but you honestly can't go wrong buying a Boxwave or Martin Fields protector.

Martin Fields Overlay Plus
Boxwave Clear Touch Anti-Glare
Boxwave Clear Touch Crystal

A good case to hold you phone is a good idea and a wise investment. There are all kinds out there for the 8525 I will list a few.

Krusell Dynamic with Multidapt
Krusell Orbit with Multidapt
Krusell Pictor with Multidapt
Krusell Horizontic Plus with Multidapt

Krusell has others, search under Qtek 9600/HTC TyTn

Vaja Horizontal Case

Here is a post over at HowardForums that has pictures of cases offered by other manufacturers.

I am personally using the Vaja case, I used it for my 8125 and it works great for my 8525. Its made very well and looks really nice. There are many other cases, you will have to do some research to find the one that fits you.

Well I hope this gets all you newbies to the 8525 started. As always if you have any questions, thoughts or comments feel free to post them.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:01 PM