Post #1

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,048
Phone: Other
Carrier: Verizon
PocketPC: Other

Question: why was the update pulled from the palm site
Answer: We discovered a problem with the unzip function that confused many users. We are fixing that as well as adding additional user help and will be reposting the update.

Question: What is the heartbeat overhead and how will this effect rate plans and battery life?
Answer: It is not major but may reduce total talk time possible on same battery by a relatively small percentage if you receive over 200 items per day. Algorithm is adaptive and starts at about 28 minute interval. Most users will still go a full work day as long as they keep the maximum talk time of 4.7 hours in mind.

Question: What is the difference between a Smartphone and a Pocket PC?
Answer: Different versions of same Windows Mobile operating system. Treo 700w runs Windows Mobile 5 Phone Edition. Other devices may run Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone Edition. Smartphone Edition does not support touch screen like the Treo 700w and does not come with Pocket Office applications like Word and Excel, for a small example. The category as a whole for Wireless Mobile Computers that are phone enabled is called "smartphone" which may introduce slight confusion.

Question: Our first test user is experiencing approx 9-15 minute delays on receiving emails on his Treo. Is this a heartbeat interval issue?
Answer: May be if your firewall is set to drop idle TCPIP sockets too often. Also, IP PUsh is supported by MSFP only and you need 1.10 Update for 700w

Question: If we downloaded the update, will we need to do it again?
Answer: NO. That was the official code and if it worked already you need not touch again.

Question: What percentage of these are experiencing "freezing" issues?
Answer: Try the 1.10 Update once reposted. MSFP is just part of that update.

Question: What is MSFP?
Answer: Bill will start to cover now - basically it's push syncronization oe email, calendar, contacts from Exchagne 2003

Question: How does the heartbeat overhead effect rate plans. It is my understanding it could add 7mb-10mb or more per month in overhaed. Is this correct?
Answer: This is a broadband device intended for heavy data usage. If you send and receive huge amounts of email like we do, usage may indeed exceed 10MB plans with attachments handling. However, the heart beat packet is just 16 bites or smaller so that concern is not realistic.

Question: will Cingular be selling the 700W? if so, when?
Answer: We cannot make announcements on behalf of any carrier. It is their product and they make independent roadmap decisions.

Question: Why was the WLAN functionality not included on the 700w like some other smartphones have (PPC6700)?
Answer: Because we prefer battery life that carrier the user through a whole work day. SDIO WiFi cards are available for the 700w and they work great.

Question: In the future will it be possible to connect to multiple exchange servers for different email accounts with one pushing schedule?
Answer: No. Only one Exchange EAS account is supported. However, up to 7 additional POP3 and or IMAP4 accounts are supported with scheduled sync options (but not instant push).

Question: so we can turn off the SMS text option now, correct (thus saving money because we don't need the text vtext.com option configured any longer)?
Answer: Once 1.10 Update is installed, if you have SMS already setup, the OS should ask you to switch to IP Push automatically. 700w does not support SMS Push once 1.10 Updater completes. Update tries to maintain user settings and this is one case where you may want to hard reset before the update (or after) and then setup EAS again (2 minute job) to ensure IP Push works correctly.

Question: Can you implement with Small Business Server as well or do you need a separate Exchange Server?
Answer: You can and Microsoft has released a deployment guide specifically for this implementation. Search the Microsoft Support site.

Question: Is a "remote wipe" equivalent to a hard reset from a device perspective?
Answer: Corrrect. However, Windows Mobile 5 hard reset is a true data wipe where 0 and 1 binary are written to flash 7 times to ensure data cannot even be physically recovered. This is very secure.

Question: Does leaving port 443 open represent a security risk for large organizations?
Answer: Your bank does it and so do all financial organzations you manage your accounts through. They obviously think it is secure. Port 443 is the SSL port and it is as strong as the certificate it uses. 128-bit SSL is secure. 443 is normally already opened.

Question: Can the 700W connect to multiple Exchange Servers (on different networks - i.e. a client & our home office) and stay current with live heartbeat?
Answer: Only one Exchange ActiveSync account is supported. You can sync desktop ActiveSync with other PCs but beware of causing duplicates and sync conflicts. Multiple POP3 and IMAP4 email accounts are supported via scheduled sync.

Question: Did I understand him to say once the 700w pings server, the email will be sent immediately after it arrives on the server?
Answer: That is correct. Provided server is Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 and your run MSFP on the 700w (1.10 Update).

--------------------
Samsung Omnia i910 - Former Samsung SCH i760 (2gb MicroSD) - Former Treo700W user
USB720 WWan Device Rev. A for Remote WWAN Access.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Apr 26 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

More questions popped up after the conference was over..

Question: Will we be able to save this slideshow once the presentation is over? This information would be great to present to my manager.
Answer: We will post a recording and at popular request PDF format also at Palm.com

Question: Does the 700w support voice activated dialing? Do you need 3rd party software to do so?
Answer: Voice Command 1.5 application from Microsoft is on the 700w. Supports wired headset dialing and dialing via its own microphone before Bluetooth can be activated. Once call established, Bluetooth aouto-connects.

Question: can you check other people's free busy schedules and calendars on the treo?
Answer: No. This is not a function of initial MSFP release.

--------------------
Samsung Omnia i910 - Former Samsung SCH i760 (2gb MicroSD) - Former Treo700W user

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Apr 26 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #3

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

More...

Question: What is the differece between active sync and wireless sync
Answer: Exchange ActiveSync works on Exchange 2000 servers with MIS server or Exchange 2003 servers at least SP1 (but you need Exchange 2003 SP2 for true push) while Wireless Sync works against just about anything Domino, Exchange, and IMAP4 server (and soon Groupwise 7 SP1) but requires additional infrastructure investments. Wireless Sync consumer service allows you to monitor email sources wiithout IT investment or against personal PC.

Question: Is there any way to encrpt the data on the 700w or do I have to purchase 3rd party software like Pointsec?
Answer: You need to purchase additional 3rd party like Trust Digital or Credant for full PIM/Email store encryption. Other third party apps allow personal data encryption like wallet info. However, if enforeced password and hard reset kill pill is enforced, encrypting data is a mute point unless physical ROM scanning is a realistic concern (federal and military or financial/medical data). Note that some applications (like many medical apps) implement their own data store encryption for HIPPA compliance.

Question: Do you plan on enhancing the Bluetooth headset capbilities? Like ability to voice dial with the headset?
Private Answer: Voice dial over Bluetooth is also hardware dependant, so it cannot be supported via a software update.

Question: How does the Palm connect to my exchange environment?
Answer: TCPIP over single SSL 443 port per published Microsoft Exchange 2003 SP2 and MSFP documentation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Apr 26 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

That portion about not including wifi because of battery life is complete bull. Include it, the users that care more about their battery won't use it. Those who don't as much (like me) will. That's like saying it makes sense to lock the screen brightness at the minimum level to preserve battery life. Completely lame excuse. They did it to make it cost them less money to produce, pure and simple.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:19 PM