post Feb 16 2007, 02:22 AM
Post #1

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,048
Phone: Other
Carrier: Verizon
PocketPC: Other

I am interested if anyone has any experience with any of the Rev A laptop cards available from Verizon for notebook use.

The two I am looking at are the AC595 and the USB720.

I would have just gone ahead with the AC595 but upon seeing the USB device, I'm hesitating a bit. The USB device opens up some options that I had not thought of before.

Any experience with either?

I'm located in the Phoenix AZ market area.

--------------------
Samsung Omnia i910 - Former Samsung SCH i760 (2gb MicroSD) - Former Treo700W user
USB720 WWan Device Rev. A for Remote WWAN Access.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 16 2007, 02:30 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I don't personally have any experience with any EVDO Rev A devices. I'm wondering if there's anywhere that says if you're in a Rev A area or not? How do you know your market has Rev A? I'm excited for WM devices with Rev A.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Feb 16 2007, 04:17 AM
Post #3

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I've not found a "map" showing the coverage, but our corp rep said they had just got the new docs to show their corp customers and that coverage was already available in the general phoenix area for it. Apparently, they have been building this out for a while before they started offering the service.

When I talked to her this afternoon, she made sure to send me a new phone list showing all the Rev A devices. They are not on the verizonwireless site (actually 1 is) but this new phone card has 3 of them.

The card is marked 2/12/2007

--------------------
Samsung Omnia i910 - Former Samsung SCH i760 (2gb MicroSD) - Former Treo700W user

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Feb 16 2007, 04:27 AM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

--------------------

+Quote Post
krelvinaz
post Feb 17 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #5

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

The USB 720 card arrived today.

It took me about 20 mins to install the drivers, connect the card and then wade through the approval/authentication process (most of that time).

Connecting was easy after that.

I plan on testing this pretty good over the next week and will decide if I am going to keep it after then.

The unit is large for a USB dongle like device but I knew that in advanced. It does come with a USB cable which allows you to move it away from the computer to get better reception. It has the ability to use 1 or 2 USB ports. I am currently using the cable with 1 USB port (my notebook as two damaged USB ports which are being fixed shortly).

Connection speeds are actually not bad considering that Rev A is not available here yet. I'm getting around 800/190 which beats my Mother-in-laws DSL connection by a bit.

Not anywhere near what I get when I use WiFi (~2880/517) but I didn't get it for that. I need connectivity when there is no WiFi available.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Rev A is activated in the area which should be around the end of this month (good timing).

Almost tempted to drive up to Flagstaff... take a peak at the snow and see what Rev A looks like since it is active up there already.

[I think the CSS of the forum is messed up. Normal posts are being centered. You have to use Left align to get them to look normal.]

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Mar 6 2007, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Secondary Carrier: Sprint

The wireless cards are nice. I use a Verizon Card and enjoy the freedom to connect virtually anywhere. I was just up in Canada and it worked great in Vancouver and Whistler. On the CSS, it seems to be with Firefox that the alignment is out of whack. I will look to correct.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:14 PM